SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Another Addition to the Long List of Things That Utterly Elude Me.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another Addition to the Long List of Things That Utterly Elude Me. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
Iron Butt/Saddle Sore motorcycling.

As I understand it, the goal is to cover 1000 miles on a motorcycle in 24 hours or less.

Um...Why?

My take on motorcycles is that they should be enjoyed, not endured.

I don't ride in monsoons and I don't ride in sub-freezing weather. I have a car or truck for that.

Why? Because you can.

Back in the '80's I rode my BMW R75 from Reading Pennsylvania to Flagler beach KOA for Daytona Bike Week in 17.5 hours. 980 miles.

I had a German riding chum who rode his BMW from Philadelphia to Daytona for Bike Week, got three hours of rest and then rode back to Philly. Stopped only for gas and food.

Some people like to ride long distance. Some people ride only to the nearest DQ and some ride from Titty Bar to Titty bar.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've done several 900 mile days. This was going or coming from different BMW rallies.

Doing one 900 mile day is bad enough. An Iron Butt rally is, I believe, ten 1000 mile days with extra points for side trips.

Sgt. USMC 1970 - 1973

Posts: 411 | Location: Columbiana, Ohio  | Registered: May 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mas4363:
I've done several 900 mile days. This was going or coming from different BMW rallies.

Doing one 900 mile day is bad enough. An Iron Butt rally is, I believe, ten 1000 mile days with extra points for side trips.

Exactly. Done every two years by invitation only. One or two 900-1000 ride days is enough in today's crazy traffic.

EDIT: you going to the BMW National Rally in SLC this July?

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
Free climbing. Equipment, special shoes and a bag of rosin.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
I ride, not interested in the 1,000 mile days. However, I believe in choices. If you want to ride 1,000 miles in a day, knock yourself out and have fun without me.

My dad was the master of pithy observations. My brother commented on my dad's habit of putting milk and two teaspoons of sugar in his coffee. My dad's response: If you don't have to drink it, don't (expletive deleted) worry about it. Words to live by.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 717 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I ride for fun, excitement and exploration. I actually look for spots to park and wander around on foot.
Iron Butt = misery for me. No thanks!

And 2 bikers have been taken out here in the Yoop in the past 2 days! The cause? They hit deer. Or the deer hit them.
All part of Yoop motorcycling!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16086 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about 175 miles on a bicycle.

Posts: 202 | Registered: March 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
Really, you ride your own ride but....

I like long distance riding. The voices in my head and I get along very well so riding distance is enjoyable to me. I like to get out on the road with just me and my thoughts. Your mileage may vary.

I have rolled out of the driveway for a week of riding and not known where I was going. Would drive the wife crazy.

I have a friend that used to live in Wisconsin. When I would ride up to visit him I would get on the road early in the morning and go to bed at his house that night. 1100 miles. I was just going somewhere.

I have also taken 7 days to ride from Chicago to J-ville. Wandered around in the general direction until I made it home. I think I only rode 19 miles of interstate the whole trip. I was traveling.

When not riding distance I usually ride when I have somewhere to go, work, grocery shopping, the LGS. I did "go riding" the other day, I ended up 2 states over at lunch, 600 ish miles when I got home.

I have ridden from coast to coast and border to boarder but I have never been trying to prove anything. I guess I could question the people who trailer their motorcycle from Jacksonville to Daytona for bike week (really, you can't make this up) but I really believe that riding is to each their own.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3849 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spectemur Agendo
Picture of brecaidra
posted Hide Post
I think it's just to challenge oneself and test endurance, sort of like the people who run seven marathons in seven different countries in seven days.

SIGforum's triple minority

"It can't rain all the time." - Eric Draven

Posts: 16993 | Location: IA | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
1000 miles = slab and slab is the most boring riding there is. Wow a straight line, so much fun! Not. We'll do 400-500 mile twisty days, every year and things will be sore you didn't know existed. Worth it. You couldn't pay me to ride the freeway for 1000 miles in a day. Hell I wouldn't do 1000 in a car in a day either. Different strokes.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12626 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Iron Butt? More like Iron Back. My low back can't take more than a couple hundred miles at a time.

I suppose if I were a younger fella I might try it just to say I did, but these days I don't see much point to it.

Posts: 20098 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
Originally posted by SIG 229R:
My take on riding is; If you value your life then don't ride. I know of a couple of people who have been killed and one seriously injured twice.

Uh oh, it's that guy.

I respect his decision not to ride and obviously he has the right to express his opinion whether I/we share it or not.

I choose to accept that risk in return for the pleasure it gives me.

Which, I guess, is the same reason some people choose to push themselves to ride 1000 miles at a whack. On some level that I can't grasp, it gives them satisfaction.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15221 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
I agree. Fair weather rider here. No need to be miserable.

Back during that first phony oil crisis I was traveling a couple hundred miles per week taking service calls for IBM, traveling to college 4 days a week, etc.

Gasoline got scarce and I convinced the Mrs. that the only way we could get it all done was if I bought a motorcycle. So, I bought a Honda CB360. Enjoyed riding it until it got below freezing, and I had no choice.

I would have a mid sized motorcycle now, but the Mrs. forbids it. Guess I fit into the hen pecked category who would only ride in good weather anyway. So, I don't ride anymore.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
I have done it and have the certificate to prove it. I have ridden 3 or 4 1000 mile plus days over the years and probabaly a slew in the 600 to 900 range. My buddy wanted to do the iron butt and did all the paper work so all I had to do was show up and keep my receipts. It was a mix of interstate and state highways going from Valparaiso, IN to Colorado Springs, CO.. It was a long day and I probabaly wouldn't do it again but it is nice to have the sticker and the license plate frame. "The Worlds Toughest Motorcyclist"

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3693 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post