SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Another Addition to the Long List of Things That Utterly Elude Me.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another Addition to the Long List of Things That Utterly Elude Me. Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
Iron Butt/Saddle Sore motorcycling.

As I understand it, the goal is to cover 1000 miles on a motorcycle in 24 hours or less.

Um...Why?

My take on motorcycles is that they should be enjoyed, not endured.

I don't ride in monsoons and I don't ride in sub-freezing weather. I have a car or truck for that.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15203 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
I find it hard to argue with your logic....

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
I agree. Fair weather rider here. No need to be miserable.

Posts: 5317 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I don't get it either.

However, I've driven with several buddies doing Iron Butt rides on two different occasions. Once coming back from Florida, and another coming back from South Dakota. But that involved driving a truck, with me enjoying the A/C while listening to audiobooks and cracking jokes over the CB.

All the benefits of the trip, getting to see new sights and hang out with my friends, just without the saddle sores.

Posts: 32487 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:

I rode for the first time this year yesterday. Temperatures hovering just shy of 50°. Bright sun, not much wind.

Full face helmet, thermal t-shirt, hoodie, leather jacket with liner, lined "winter" MC gloves.

Rode about a 10 mile loop and it was fine. By the end of the loop my hands were starting to get cool and (because I didn't think of long johns) my legs were getting cool. I could have ridden further without undue discomfort but mostly what I wanted to do was check out the new helmet for warmth and noise reduction (Warmth: Nice. Noise Reduction: Meh.) the difference taking off the hand guards made (definite reduction in wind buffeting around the chest and helmet, and looks MUCH better!) and the new Corbin seat. (Opinion withheld until after breakin period).

Posts: 15203 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't ride in monsoons and I don't ride in sub-freezing weather. I have a car or truck for that.

Fine if you don't go far from home, but if you ride cross-country you have to be prepared for and ride in any weather.

Posts: 27918 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
It's the same reason people go hiking on anything other than just flat pavement.

Sometimes you have to endure some discomfort to see and experience the things that others can't or won't see and experience.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes
Picture of sandman76
posted Hide Post
I'd like to say I'm hardcore enough to have done it but between 300 and 400 miles for a day of riding and I'm ready to call it good. I like to stop for a while every hundred or so. Will also avoid riding in the rain like the plague. Not that big on riding at night either. So no Iron Ass 1000 for this kid.

Posts: 1957 | Location: Douglas County, Colorado | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
It's the same reason people go hiking on anything other than just flat pavement.

Sometimes you have to endure some discomfort to see and experience the things that others can't or won't see and experience.

Don't see how that applies here. I can see and experience everything in 3 days @ 350 miles a day and not have to suffer for it or get dangerously tired doing it.

As to getting caught on long distance rides, yes there's that. Again, different circumstances. It's setting out to do it on purpose that eludes me.

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I have no explanation, but I've done it. I didn't set out to do it, but on the way I realized I could. After the first 700 miles on my 1998 ZX9R, parts of my body started falling asleep. Mostly hands and feet. I started in Naples, FL and hit the exit for Mammoth Cave at mile 996, so I went one exit further and stayed at a KOA. It took right around 13 hours total. I slept for about 8 hours and finished the next 450 miles to Chicago the next day.

It was 17 years ago and I don't remember much else, except the HOV lane through Atlanta was fun.

Posts: 10899 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to go on rides with the Gold Wing Road Riders Association, usually 100-200 miles on a Sunday, beginning with breakfast, ending with dinner.

Although I was never tired by these rides, the thought of an Iron Butt ride never appealed. I commuted on the Gold Wing for a couple years, winter and summer, and that was maso enough for me.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9142 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Falls under the category of different strokes. I know people who favor genital piercings. It's not for me, but works for them, so I really don't care.

Posts: 17135 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
Falls under the category of different strokes. I know people who favor genital piercings. It's not for me, but works for them, so I really don't care.

Yup, I get the different strokes thing. Hell, there are people that think it's a good idea to jump off tall buildings.

I was just trying to figure out the attraction.

Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
"Genital Piercer". There's a career path I don't even want to think about.

Posts: 26892 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIG 229R
posted Hide Post
My take on riding is; If you value your life then don't ride. I know of a couple of people who have been killed and one seriously injured twice.

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
New London, CT to the Twin Ports of Duluth/Superior in 1989 on my VFR 700 Interceptor in 26 hours. Young and dumb, sure...but it was an experience I won't forget. No throttle lock, and man, did my right wrist get sore and swollen!

Butt fared just fine, but then again, young and dumb!!

Posts: 2932 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to ride all year round. The only days I did not ride was if there was ice on the roads, heavy fog or torrential downpour.
I never got into the iron butt rides.
I do have a friend who is maybe the worst at it, you could ever meet.

My friend was going to Dayton to the races and I asked to go. He said Ok, but I only stop for gas....I eat at the gas station while pumping gas and leave. NOT ME.

He told me he went to California on his bike. I said how long did you stay. He said oh, I just turned around and came back.
He traded in 1 Gold Wing that had over 500K mi on it. The dealership just roped it off and it is on display there. He had 275K on one of his wings he got rid of. He is about 70 and still rides all the time.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:

Same here. Heck, I even just bought a FJR1300, a favorite among the extreme long-distance touring crowd / Iron Butt folks, but mine won't ever have that kind of workout.

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes
Picture of sandman76
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG 229R:
My take on riding is; If you value your life then don't ride. I know of a couple of people who have been killed and one seriously injured twice.

Motorcycling has an element of danger. So does my job. Still gotta do it.

Riding my motorcycle is one of the things that makes me feel alive. Right back to that different strokes thing. What does it for you?

But on the topic here, still not interested in ass busting 1000 mile rides in a day. I'm with Paul. Just don't quite understand.

Posts: 1957 | Location: Douglas County, Colorado | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG 229R:

Uh oh, it's that guy.

Posts: 27918 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post