SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Amazon scam, warehouse deals. Bummer.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Amazon scam, warehouse deals. Bummer. Login/Join 
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted
Been looking at some driving lights off and on and every now and then I'll look at the Amazon warehouse deals, hoping for something that someone bought, was't what they expected, then returned. I've bought "warehouse deals" a few times and have always been happy.

This past weekend I found something that would fit the bill for what I'm after. A certain set of Rigid Industries lights, this model is usually around $330.00 a pair. But these were returned, "box damaged", "some scratches on top and sides", plus they're the Marine version, so they're white instead of the usual black, so less demand. $133.00 Heck some rattle can bed liner and all those problems go away. A great deal for me. Yep, too good to be true.

They came today.... and the first thing I notice is they're black, not white. And they're not very heavy. And hey... they're not Rigid Industries. It's their box. And it's got the "Inspected by Amazon" sticker on the side, but I guess whomever did the inspecting didn't know what they were looking at. Someone must have bought them, swapped in the cheap Chinese look-a-like.. look-a-similar? , and returned them. Hmm... didn't the "inspector" notice that they don't look like all the picture on the box?

Oh well. I'll drop them off Thursday and get my money back. Kinda bummed about what I thought was going to be a great deal, finally.

Too good to be true? I guess so. $200 off is a lot. I'm guessing Amazon knows these are knock offs and is just trying to unload them. That's as low as the person who swapped them in the first place. Maybe worse. I hope that's not the case, but who can say.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm guessing Amazon knows these are knock offs and is just trying to unload them.
I find it hard to believe that Amazon would knowingly screw a customer. Much more believable that the warehouse person was careless.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
It's a common scam for Amazon returns: They buy an item, replace it with knockoff, and return the knockoff for full refund.

Minimum wage warehouse return workers can't be expected to know the ins and outs of every little detail of every product Amazon sells.

So that's the risk you take with buying Warehouse Deals: You might be the end recipient of one of these knockoff scams. However, I've gotten some really good deals before, such as a new, open box, Aimpoint Micro for $384. (Yes, it was genuine.)

You just have to be prepared to send stuff back. You win some, and you lose some.

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
I'm guessing Amazon knows these are knock offs and is just trying to unload them.
I find it hard to believe that Amazon would knowingly screw a customer. Much more believable that the warehouse person was careless.

I've been watching warehouse deals on similar lights for a couple months now and I've never seen any discounted by anywhere near that much. I think $75 off was the most I've seen. (another $300ish light, also damaged, and by described worse than these, and missing the hardware as per the description). These have only a small scuff in the paint in one spot, I guess to cover the return excuse. I didn't even see it at first.

For that much off ($200) I really expected these to be genuine, but in really bad shape cosmetically, possible missing the mounts etc.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I had a REALLY bad day today, this was almost a bright spot in it, it was so bad. lol

Smile

Just for fun... you don't need to be a lighting expert to puzzle this one out. Wink

Here's the light they sent.

And here's one of the 7 pictures of the light on the box.

Now I'm not talking about the different shaped reflectors, nor the screw in the middle of it. And I'm not talking about the fact that it's missing the raised "Rigid Industries". I'm talking about the very subtle fact... that they're not fucking white! Big Grin
Seven pictures of a white light and marking on the box indicating that they're white lights. lol

Oh well, they'll never make Inspector 12. Smile

His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Cas, the reflectors cutting into each other doesn't bug you seeing how it's supposed to be in the picture?

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19582 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a T2 on Warehouse Deals a year ago. It was DOA. A buddy bought an MRO at the same time and got a $30 Wal-Mart red dot. We returned them both and got refunds no problem.

I've had good luck with Safariland holsters, mag pouches, and a couple other things. Ameriglo night sights and a decent amount of Trijicon and Streamlight stuff.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
We have an Amazon drop off point at work, so returning stuff it pretty painless. Now I'll have to go get breakfast in the morning and take a side trip to Amazon, darn. Wink

I ended up buying what I really wanted in the first place, which I suppose I should have done first. But this at least allowed me to lie to myself.. "I tried to spend less money." Smile

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Amazon is going downhill. Was looking for a decent down comforter cover. 1000+ TC cotton. All I found was item upon item of PRC crap. Some of the reviews were disturbing.

Gave up and will buy on sale at Nordstrom or something. Amazon is driving me back to BnM stores.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
That's part of what bugs me as well, I wouldn't mine wading through all the junk and knock offs to find the quality items, but they're just not there. I searched for over an hour yesterday looking for water resistant electrical connectors, I kept thinking eventually I'll find ones that aren't crap, I don't care about the price, I just don't want garbage. But there just weren't any.

Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Had this happen to me when I bought a Trijicon MRO from Amazon - Warehouse deals, someone swapped an older MRO for a new one; Amazon didn't even check the serial numbers.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4330 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
I ended up buying what I really wanted in the first place...

Amazon Prime, 2 day shipping, yeah baby. Will be delivered on... July 13. Confused

Which really pisses me off. I could have bought them cheaper from another seller, but their date was the 13th. Not wanting to wait, I paid more for the Prime one which said Friday the 6th.

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

Amazon Prime, 2 day shipping, yeah baby. Will be delivered on... July 13. Confused

Which really pisses me off. I could have bought them cheaper from another seller, but their date was the 13th. Not wanting to wait, I paid more for the Prime one which said Friday the 6th.
If the listing initially said that they would be delivered on Friday the 6th, contact Amazon customer service. They will do something for you.

Better yet, send an email to Jeff@Amazon.com -- it will get delegated to somebody who will definitely do something for you.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
How do I prove it said July 6 originally? (I need to start taking screen caps)

It's funny, there were other electrical items I was going to buy, but didnt because they wouldn't have come in time. I didn't want to put off installation an extra two days waiting for them. I've got and extra 5 days.

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Go to your original emailed confirmation.

I've seen folks sometimes pivot unintentionally off the Prime purchase option to a less expensive seller, not realizing it and getting through a third party with slower shipping/delivery. I've done it myself, and learned from the experience. It was all easier when Amazon meant Amazon. I don't love all the third party folks there now, but it has increased availability, options and probably helped pricing overall.

Not saying that's your case cas, but the initial purchase should indicate if the expected delivery was a couple days or longer. Good luck!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just sent back a Hogue knife that was purchased as new. It arrived very dull with a bad edge on it. Somebody totally butchered the blade with an amateur sharpening job. The finish was scratched pretty bad also. The Torx wrench that came with it to remove the scales was also stripped on both ends.

The last few items I have ordered from Amazon were either used, damaged, or a cheap knock off. Amazon always takes them back but it’s a bit discouraging.

Posts: 102 | Registered: June 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
I’ve reached the point where before ordering from Amazon I check the manufacturer’s website to see what they charge. A lot of times they offer the same price, free shipping and don’t take their sweet time filling the order, plus they never send a knock off.

Posts: 6955 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I got notification of my refund last night.

I put a note in with the lights stating what's in the box is not what's supposed to be. I'll be interested to see if they show back up for sale again.

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
I ended up buying what I really wanted in the first place...

Amazon Prime, 2 day shipping, yeah baby. Will be delivered on... July 13. Confused.

Got a shipping notification YESTERDAY. package should arrive
July 18th!!! Apparently they're walking them to my house from Arizona. Roll Eyes

always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Never been a Prime member. I've been VERY cautious about third parties offering goods on Amazon. I think the vetting process is rudimentary at best. Frown Been using WalMart when the items are offered at both places. More often that not the prices are the same. The few not are just a tad more. Deliveries have been very quick with sound packing. And as their TV ads say, no membership fees. Smile

Sometimes the scales are heavily tipped in Walmarts favor. Biggest plus was a floor lamp for the livingroom. Got it almost 50% cheaper through Walmart. Yes both sites offered from a third party but Walmart was from the manufacturer. Amazon from some obscure distributor. This was last Fall. Pays to shop around. Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post