SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Outdoor Cats!!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Outdoor Cats!! Login/Join 
legendary_lawman
Picture of prairieviper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
CALL your local animal control. They will give you or bring a harmless trap to you and then come pick the cats up when they get into the trap. Then careless neighbor can go get them at animal control and pay the fine or they can go to a good home to someone who keeps their cats indoor where they belong.

This is the best answer.

"In God We Trust"

Posts: 1992 | Location: Central USA - Cornfields & Cows | Registered: May 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by prairieviper:
quote:
CALL your local animal control. They will give you or bring a harmless trap to you and then come pick the cats up when they get into the trap. Then careless neighbor can go get them at animal control and pay the fine or they can go to a good home to someone who keeps their cats indoor where they belong.

This is the best answer.

AND, best of all animal control will almost always neuter them as well....

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
My wife setup the sprinkler to try to keep them away but they were actually playing it.
They were not here Friday I was gone all yesterday but did not see them on the cameras. Hopefully they are gone.
I am home the next few days and if they come back try a water hose blast and hopefully they will not like that.
If they still come around I'll trap them and take them to the humane society.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
Have you actually talked to your neighbors to see if they know who owns the cats? That is really the easiest and most sensible thing to do. They aren't feral cats, they are somebody's pets. You seem to be set on just trapping them and relocating them because you are mad. What if the humane society is full and won't take them? You do realize that several of those shelters will kill the animals if they can't find the owners or adopt them out. It's also illegal here to trap and relocate an animal without a license.

We had a stray cat arrive at our house. It was clearly a pet as it had a collar but no tags. Somebody had dumped her and she spent a few weeks wandering outside until she found our house, starving and dehydrated. She was a sweet cat so we took her to our vet to get a clean bill of health. We had a hard time finding an adoption agency that would take her since they were all full. Eventually we got one to take her only by giving them a sizable cash donation. In the end somebody just dumping a pet cost us hundreds of dollars and quite a bit of personal time to clean up their carelessness.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
We live on a court and they aren't anyone's on the court. Our backyards are setup in a pie like fashion with about 5 other courts.
I don't have the time or the care to figure out whose cats they are. If it were a one time instance where they got out maybe.
But they are hear almost daily and all times day and night. If the owners don't care enough to keep them contained I am not concerned in the slightest if the humane society can't find the owner and can't adopt them out that is not my problem the cats aren't my responsibility nor anyone else's but the owners.
I don't understand why many cat owners think it is fine just to let their animals roam free in the neighborhood.
Same goes for a few dog owners.

————————————————

Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
It is like this every where. People get upset when you mess with their cats or dogs and you become the bad guy.

It is best to let animal control be the bad guy.

In my case, the animal control failed to do their job so I trapped the cats and took them to the animal control. The owners got a big bill for room and board and weren't very happy. They continue today to vandalize my property. On one occasion, the animal control person failed to give me my Havahart Trap back but instead gave me a broken trap that wasn't mine. Luckily, a Game Warden was present that I knew and he stepped in and got my trap for me which has my name written on the bottom surface.

In the case of the dogs running loose at the other place, they stopped me from building my house.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
If the owners don't care enough to keep them contained I am not concerned in the slightest if the humane society can't find the owner and can't adopt them out that is not my problem the cats aren't my responsibility nor anyone else's but the owners.

This

Also, a one pump BB gun to the ass is effective as well.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by andronicus:
We have a few feral cats in our neighborhood and I like them just fine. Having the baby lions roaming free has kept the squirrel and bird problem to a minimum.

And the fact that these beautiful predators are burying their sh*t in your child's sandbox means that they respect you as the alpha.

Good grief

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
My wife setup the sprinkler to try to keep them away but they were actually playing it.
They were not here Friday I was gone all yesterday but did not see them on the cameras. Hopefully they are gone.
I am home the next few days and if they come back try a water hose blast and hopefully they will not like that.

Call your counties Animal Control, Animal control will bring the traps to your house and set them up in most all counties in Florida and will come pick them up when there is something in there. Humaine Society doesn't do that, they only take animals that are donated to them, and I don't think they'll take an animal that is not yours. Animal Control will also make the people pay a fine and it will go on their record and second offense they will have to go to court.....It puts an end to it real quick.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:

Call your counties Animal Control, Animal control will bring the traps to your house and set them up in most all counties in Florida and will come pick them up when there is something in there. Humaine Society doesn't do that, they only take animals that are donated to them, and I don't think they'll take an animal that is not yours. Animal Control will also make the people pay a fine and it will go on their record and second offense they will have to go to court.....It puts an end to it real quick.

Animal Control and the Humane Society are the same entity here. They'll take whatever you drop off. They even have night drop boxes.

————————————————

Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
quote:
Originally posted by andronicus:
We have a few feral cats in our neighborhood and I like them just fine. Having the baby lions roaming free has kept the squirrel and bird problem to a minimum.

And the fact that these beautiful predators are burying their sh*t in your child's sandbox means that they respect you as the alpha.

Good grief

I’m sure this is sarcasm. Not the good grief part, but the rest. What “bird problem”?
Songbirds? Has your area decimated your natural predators to the extent that are relying on feral cats to address pests? Hell, we have bobcat, wolves, coyotes, fox, coon and bear here to deal with cats. God help the owner that lets his cats roam, he won’t have them for long.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5284 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by prairieviper:
quote:

This is the best answer.

A thousand times yes. If you feel compelled to catch them yourself, take them to the city or county pound yourself. The people who own them will have a chance to get them and mend their ways. Or they will be adopted or euthanized.

Your way deprives them of any chance, and merely relocates the problem to someone else.

It also may be illegal to trap them.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of goingbroke
posted Hide Post
...get you a few bags of that play sand and dump out at the furthest reaches of your property should have those prize layers hiding their goodies in the new sand rather than the mulch!

Them cats is probably snagging moles, voles, and rats taboot...

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition." - Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 5055 | Location: South of Atlanta | Registered: July 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
City Slickers

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I was taking so many cats to the Animal Control that when someone was missing his cat, he would knock on my door and ask me if I had seen his cat.

In the beginning, there were probably a dozen cats visiting my yard. Some were here all day and liked to lay on my covered Corvette since it had a southern exposure. They eventually trashed the cover when they used it for sharpening their claws.

The previous owner moved because of the dogs and cats using the yard. One neighbor had five poodle dogs and many indoor cats. Some had no tags or rabies shots so when the Animal Control made a visit, they got a big fine and were told to get rid of some of the dogs or move. You are only allowed two dogs and the number of cats is unlimited. There were also the kids using the side yard when they should have been playing in their own yard.

Now the foxes take care of the cats and a few have probably been killed. It is too bad there is not a lease law.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Please don't resort to the bb gun tactic. Your aim isn't what you think it is, and I can't tell you the issues we treat weekly from someone trying to "scare off" cats and dogs.

The motion activated sprinkler mentioned by tatertodd is a great idea. Cats might play in the gently spraying sprinklers your wife put out, but these things blast them with a motion activated shot that I promise you no cat will enjoy. My mom uses one to keep the local squirrel mafia from squeezing the bird feeder for protection money, and it works great. If'n it works for something squirrel size, it'll hammer the kittehs.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Also, a one pump BB gun to the ass is effective as well.

I recall one of my wife;s friends telling us about how their cat eventually died due to an anal would.
Seems someone with a BB gun shot a bulls eye in the cat's ass (I laughed - they got pissed off).

I wish the damn neighbors cat would stop climbing on my roof as well as stop crying like a baby (it's a Siamese) in a cat fight outside my bedroom window at night.
AND
Just so one does not get the wrong idea, the wife and I took in a cat on Christmas Eve about 6 years back.
We are both allergic to cats but had pity on the wet and wounded cat crying outside.
Over $2200 in vet bills later now the thing acts like we are it's personal waiters.

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
I put one of these in my front yard to keep the deer out of my landscaping. When my cat set it off it scared the crap out of him and he didn't want to be anywhere near it. I can barely hear it so it's not annoying to humans. $27 shipped, just stick it in the ground of the area you are trying to protect, problem solved.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Z...f=dp_sp_detail?psc=1

I like it better than the sprinkler version since my UPS man probably wouldn't like getting hit with water every time he walks by.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I have one of those with the high frequency and flashing light. I had to turn the volume down because one of the neighbors complained.

Just doesn't seem to work for deer, foxes, and cats. They must get use to it over time.

Picture of eclayton
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ken226:
I saw a Craigslist ad once related to this subject.

Apparently, someone's pet cat disappeared and the person who posted the Craigslist ad suspected a neighbor.

The ad said something along the lines of:

If you live on the southeast side of Carlsbad, NM and your cat went missing, you should know that the dirt bag who lives at 123 whatever street, in the brown house with the red Ford F150 licence plate# ABC123 parked out front, has been trapping and doing God knows what with neighborhood pets. He's red truck leaves at 6am every morning and returns home at 2pm every afternoon. He has yappy barking dogs in his back yard.

There were some pics of the guy's house, truck, and a pic of a mapquest screenshot with the house circled.

I'd be wary about starting a fued with neighbors, they can get out of hand quick. Just yesterday a guy near Everett was arrested for shooting at his neighbors kids during some kinda neighborhood fued.

Better to just ignore the non-problem of a neghbors pet violating your property rights by trespassing. I can't count the number of times a neighbor's dog came on to my property. Never, not once was I butthurt enough about the trespass to capture, dump, shoot or feed it to my hundred plus pound German Shepherd. Nor would I do it to a neighbor's cat.

These days, with car companies going green and using soy based wiring insulation, I'm all for having a few neighborhood cats roaming around. Try pricing a wiring harness replacement for your car! For those of you with a 2006ish or newer car, all that stands between you and a 4000.00 repair bill is a couple neighborhood cats.

The cat hanging out in your yard might know something that you don't!
https://youtu.be/wmazwOf-lHk

https://youtu.be/56MmFQI5UME

In 20 years of law enforcement, I've seen an almost infinite number tragedies that could have been prevented by any one of the involved parties giving a little ground.

It's usually when one person's idea of a slight attack, is perceived by another as as a crushing blow that must be revenged. Neighbor A dumps off neighbor B's pet, thinking neighbor B will be a little upset but will get over it. Neighbor B loves their family pet like a child and is willing to go to prison to get even.

Totally avoidable, but I recall this incident vividly as my first time seeing a gunshot wound up close when I was a city cop in the late 90s. Neighbor B shot neighbor A in the leg, a couple inches above the right knee with a bolt action 16ga.

You are wise to recommend avoiding the neighborhood drama. In the OP's shoes I would check the collars for a phone number, then try a polite conversation with the cat owner. If that failed, call county animal control and let them handle capture/disposal.

I have had an ice-cold relationship with my next door neighbor for the past 11 years because of his dog intruding on my property. We were away from the house for a few months. His Yorkshire terrier tunneled under HIS section of fence into my fenced backyard and became accustomed to using my yard as a toilet. My wife returned home one day without me (I was on overseas deployment) and let our three large dogs out into the backyard after a long trip in the car. They found the little dog intruding, ran it down and killed it. Things did not escalate like you described, but the neighbor tried every dirty trick in the book short of that to take revenge. He called animal control to complain (they investigated and said it was no-fault dog-on-dog violence, my dogs were properly contained on my property); complained to the homeowner's association (they washed their hands and referred him to the county); had a lawyer send us a letter threatening a lawsuit (never heard from him a second time); and when all else failed, they tried to persuade our neighborhood veterinarian to stop serving us and our "killer" dogs (vet called us to let us know this neighbor was gunning for us). After exhausting every means of harassing us through "channels," they resigned themselves to eleven years of flipping us the bird or screaming obscenities across the fence, yanking their kids inside the house and scolding them for talking to our kids, etc. Contrary to their behavior, this is not a trailer park; it's a white collar neighborhood with three story single-family homes. Neighbor drama sucks. I'd let the county catch these cats and say no more about it.

Posts: 312 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: October 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post