SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Outdoor Cats!!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Outdoor Cats!! Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
I do not want your cats on my property. Find a way to keep your cats in your yard or keep them in the house!!
I have a couple cats that like to kick it at my place during the day. My wife will not blast them with the hose. They clearly come from the same house as they are always together and have the same collar.
We have a pretty active neighborhood Facebook page. Thinking about putting a picture of them on the page that says please keep your cats at your place or they will be permenantly relocated.
Have A Heart Trap and a trip across the river.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
legendary_lawman
Picture of prairieviper
posted Hide Post
If you are that concerned about two cats merely lounging on your property and you know who they belong to, why don't you just talk to the owners directly instead of beating around the bush with a social media post and hoping they might see it or someone else may tell them about it? Personally, I don't see what the big deal is since you don't mention the cats causing any problems except just being there and your wife doesn't seem to mind and you aren't apparently aren't at home when the cats are present to try the water hose method yourself.

Your suggested solution of trapping them and dumping them at another location (across the river) is not good for the cats nor for other people and animals that may come into contact with them and is most likely illegal. It is certainly far from humane.

Maybe contacting your local animal control office would be the best option if you can't bring yourself to talk to your neighbors and discuss the problem.

"In God We Trust"

Posts: 1992 | Location: Central USA - Cornfields & Cows | Registered: May 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

AZ takes care of feral cats, or stray dogs, pretty quickly. The desert "clean-up crew" is very effective.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
It much depends on where you live. We have a few floating around with farms in the area. If they get to wild the coyotes thin them out.

With just a few once in a while I mostly leave them alone. If they were to camp out at my feeder or bluebird house it may be a different story.

Then we have the neighbor lady who leaves food out for them, then the coons & possums partake too. I give no quarter to coons, possums, & skunks though.

I can go either way with feral cats. If one leans disposal, make them disappear without a trace. One doesn't want any deeds to come back to bite. Not to long ago there was a poisoning of the neighbor's pet in the news. That never turns out well for the perp.

Posts: 6129 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by prairieviper:
If you are that concerned about two cats merely lounging on your property and you know who they belong to, why don't you just talk to the owners directly instead of beating around the bush with a social media post and hoping they might see it or someone else may tell them about it? Personally, I don't see what the big deal is since you don't mention the cats causing any problems except just being there and your wife doesn't seem to mind and you aren't apparently aren't at home when the cats are present to try the water hose method yourself.

Your suggested solution of trapping them and dumping them at another location (across the river) is not good for the cats nor for other people and animals that may come into contact with them and is most likely illegal. It is certainly far from humane.

Maybe contacting your local animal control office would be the best option if you can't bring yourself to talk to your neighbors and discuss the problem.

If I knew who owns them I would gladly return them to the owner.
I have a playland for my kids that has a mulch base and the cats feel that this is their litter box.
Not good with that.

As for relocating nothing wrong with safely trapping an animal in my yard and taking them elsewhere.

————————————————

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
As for relocating nothing wrong with safely trapping an animal in my yard and taking them elsewhere.

Um, yes there is.

If you are going to do that take them to the shelter to be put down or adopted. Please don't add to street cat population. Do you think your neighbors across the river want stray cats pissing in their kids sandbox?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:

Um, yes there is.

If you are going to do that take them to the shelter to be put down or adopted. Please don't add to street cat population. Do you think your neighbors across the river want stray cats pissing in their kids sandbox?
o

I would not take them to someone else's residence.
No different than relocating a coon, squirrel, opposum, snake, skunks, etc.
It is exactly what the hired critter companies do.
They are clearly cats that survive outdoors just need not be around my place.

I am home today so maybe some water hose persuasion will keep them from coming around.

————————————————

posted Hide Post
So I'm not a cat lover .... at all .... however there were several cats that used to roam the neighborhood that didn't belong to anyone. truly feral. however they didn't really bother anyone with spraying and the like. my neighbor "delt with the situation". I have since had a dozen mice that I've killed with traps in my house. in addition The squirrel and rabbit populations have exploded. I wish the cats were back. if your neighborhood cats aren't spraying or damaging property appreciate their free pest control work.

Posts: 198 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: August 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
They clearly come from the same house as they are always together and have the same collar.

quote:

Based on your first post, they are pets that someone (unwisely) lets roam. They are used to being fed and having shelter. That's not the same as surviving outdoors as truly feral cats do. Please don't dump them somewhere if you trap them. At least be kind enough to take someone's pet cats to a shelter.

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
No different than relocating a coon, squirrel, opposum, snake, skunks, etc.
It is exactly what the hired critter companies do.

The hired critter companies have a permit if one is necessary where you are. I know it would be here. Even for nuisance critters that are perfectly legal to shoot. I can take down groundhogs at the farm, but if I want to trap and relocate them, that's a whole different ballgame.

quote:

You said you suspect they come from a home and indicated that both have collars. That tells me they have shelter and food available. It certainly doesn't indicate that they're feral or have the survival skills they'd need on their own.

Presumably, the collars have tags. Talk to the owner about his cats using your kids' playground sand as a litter box. That's a legitimate concern for all sorts of serious health reasons. Go from there.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
My neighbors have a cat that roams and I hate it. I have told them repeatedly that my two dogs will eat it if it gets in my yard and I don't want to see that. They actually bitch on the neighborhood Facebook page about others feeding it, then keep the thing in your house, asshole.

Years ago my mom had a large sheepdog that was extremely territorial about its yard. She had a big bird feeder and the stupid neighbors cat would come and kill the birds and bum her out. I called the police and animal control because there are leash laws for cats just like dogs. I even started to leave the dead birds on their porch. The lady told me, well that what cats do. One day the cat came over and my mom's sheepdog got a hold of it. The neighbor was of course all aghast. Well, that's what dogs do bitch. She knew full well we had a large and highly territorial dog in our yard, I warned her multiple times.

I don't like cats but my wife does. We have owned several. They don't leave the house.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ken226
posted Hide Post
I saw a Craigslist ad once related to this subject.

Apparently, someone's pet cat disappeared and the person who posted the Craigslist ad suspected a neighbor.

The ad said something along the lines of:

If you live on the southeast side of Carlsbad, NM and your cat went missing, you should know that the dirt bag who lives at 123 whatever street, in the brown house with the red Ford F150 licence plate# ABC123 parked out front, has been trapping and doing God knows what with neighborhood pets. He's red truck leaves at 6am every morning and returns home at 2pm every afternoon. He has yappy barking dogs in his back yard.

There were some pics of the guy's house, truck, and a pic of a mapquest screenshot with the house circled.

I'd be wary about starting a fued with neighbors, they can get out of hand quick. Just yesterday a guy near Everett was arrested for shooting at his neighbors kids during some kinda neighborhood fued.

Better to just ignore the non-problem of a neghbors pet violating your property rights by trespassing. I can't count the number of times a neighbor's dog came on to my property. Never, not once was I butthurt enough about the trespass to capture, dump, shoot or feed it to my hundred plus pound German Shepherd. Nor would I do it to a neighbor's cat.

These days, with car companies going green and using soy based wiring insulation, I'm all for having a few neighborhood cats roaming around. Try pricing a wiring harness replacement for your car! For those of you with a 2006ish or newer car, all that stands between you and a 4000.00 repair bill is a couple neighborhood cats.

The cat hanging out in your yard might know something that you don't!
https://youtu.be/wmazwOf-lHk

https://youtu.be/56MmFQI5UME

In 20 years of law enforcement, I've seen an almost infinite number tragedies that could have been prevented by any one of the involved parties giving a little ground.

It's usually when one person's idea of a slight attack, is perceived by another as as a crushing blow that must be revenged. Neighbor A dumps off neighbor B's pet, thinking neighbor B will be a little upset but will get over it. Neighbor B loves their family pet like a child and is willing to go to prison to get even.

Totally avoidable, but I recall this incident vividly as my first time seeing a gunshot wound up close when I was a city cop in the late 90s. Neighbor B shot neighbor A in the leg, a couple inches above the right knee with a bolt action 16ga.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ken226,

Posts: 1563 | Location: WA | Registered: December 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Please don't dump cats or dogs or pet bunny rabbits out in "the country" to fend for themselves. (I've seen all three) Many of the people who live out in the country aren't at all interested in having to deal with them, and it's unfair to the critters, too. I have scads of cats dumped at my place outside of town. As a consequence, there are few quail here any more.

Call animal control, or man up and take care of the problem yourself instead of putting it off on somebody else.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am a cat person. Once had 13 (a long tale I have burdened you all with before) and I consider myself to a responsible owner. Mine stay indoor and are all fixed.
That said:
I once lived in a rural area and it was a cat dumping ground. The situation got out of control quickly. Fighting, yowling, spraying and uncontrolled reproduction resulted in an ever increasing PITA and a growing population.
At first I did nothing, thinking that nature would thin the herd. Nature helped out but not enough. Tried the trap thing. Once trapped, it was a problem nobody wanted. The local shelter claimed to be over crowded and no one else was interested. And I did not want to dump the cat off on someone somewhere else. I had no choice but to address the problem with a .22 Magnum. And I hated every shot. And it was never ending.
It was not a cat problem, it was a people problem.
If I lived in an urban or suburban area, I may have had better luck with solutions other than gunfire.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I would get some moth balls and put them in an old nylon stocking and hang them in the area where the cats are spending their time or where they cross the fence or entrance area.

Victims of cats and dogs running loose have no rights anymore. I have put up with it at three places. The cats that eat fish are the worst.

At one place the cats have killed out the quail and whip-poor-wills. I trapped the strays that were dropped off and took them to the animal control. I should have taken the neighbors cat as well who was the main problem.

The dogs were another matter that animal control couldn't deal with so I took them to court and they have done damage that can't be fixed.

In VA it is against the law to relocate any wild animal.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
CALL your local animal control. They will give you or bring a harmless trap to you and then come pick the cats up when they get into the trap. Then careless neighbor can go get them at animal control and pay the fine or they can go to a good home to someone who keeps their cats indoor where they belong.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Cats using your kids’ sandbox for a litter box? Read about toxoplasmosis and its horrible effects. This is not a trivial matter.

The neighborhood we live in in San Diego, we discovered, has lots of songbirds. Why? Coyotes. God bless ‘em.

Posts: 18016 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ken226
posted Hide Post
Around my neighborhood the problem isn't outside cats so much as neighbors dogs running loose.

Continuously crapping on the lawn, infesting our yard with fleas so I continuously have to put out flea/tick granules, digging holes. They serve no purpose but to annoy, and can't be good for the rabbits and squirrels.

Maybe I should consider some traps, relocating them or turning them over to animal control as well.

Posts: 1563 | Location: WA | Registered: December 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Put in a motion activated sprinkler. This one is the #1 seller on Amazon and has a 15% off digital coupon.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have a few feral cats in our neighborhood and I like them just fine. Having the baby lions roaming free has kept the squirrel and bird problem to a minimum.

And the fact that these beautiful predators are burying their sh*t in your child's sandbox means that they respect you as the alpha.

Posts: 4648 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post