SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Car #2 - Was just supposed to be a quick oil change.....
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Car #2 - Was just supposed to be a quick oil change..... Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Okay. Did some research and reading.

I better understand this bump stop thing. Sounds like I generally don't need them but risk damaging something if I hit a nasty bump at speed. So, I would like to replace them but it's very costly (need to remove the shock and then re-install and then probably do an alignment).

So, maybe $20 part + $150 labor; twice (left/right) so about $350 for both sides.

Debating hard whether to do this or not. Leaning toward not unless there is a safety issue. Hard to justify unless I'm replacing the shocks.

And I don't think the shocks need to be replaced. I could just replace them (add another $250-300). So $650-700 total.

Ugh. What to do.....

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
After more reading and research:

It seems the the Bilstein HD shocks have internal bump stops as part of their inverted tube design for the front; rear HD shocks need an external bump stop.

So, if the pieces the shop took off from my car were bump stops in the front, they should not have been there in the first place. Original installer perhaps installed them needlessly? Which means that the passenger side (unless they've already disintegrated and fallen out) has the bump stop still while the driver side no longer does.

Good thing I researched this more. Would have had the shop replace a completely unneeded bump stop.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
They
Are
Trying
To
Screw
You

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I haven’t seen the owner recently so I’m wondering if ownership has changed. I’m sitting here debating whether or not, if a bump stop was needlessly installed by the original installer, this shop should reasonably know.

Yes, I’m trying to determine if this shop is trying to take advantage or not. I’m thinking I shouldn’t have to be an expert at this - that’s what the shop is for. At the least, I’m going to be second guessing each work order. Time probably to find another shop.

His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
They
Are
Trying
To
Screw
You

I'm going to have to agree. Konata, you're going to have to do a gut check. Management changes, other things change, people change. If I get a feeling someone's scamming me, I'm not going to reward them by coming back and giving them more opportunities to fleece me.

It's just like poker, don't play the cards, play the person. As in, find a person that you can trust that will actually do the job that's needed and charge you a fair price.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19588 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
I would go on YouTube and look at an installation video. You should be able to see it the bump stop should be there or not. Bilsteins are popular so you should be able to find your particular install.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Here's the test - tell them you need them to change the blinker fluid. If they do it, they're crooked.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post