SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    These are hard times for people who have spent their lives soaking up news
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

These are hard times for people who have spent their lives soaking up news Login/Join 
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted
I've been a "reader" all my life, and have been in the habit of reading a morning newspaper and political magazines; and more recently online equivalents of these. Since the 2016 campaign, but particularly since the election, I find it unpleasant to read general newspapers and even many conservative magazines, except very selectively. I've subscribed to Commentary and National Review for years; I've gone on National Review cruises and know most of the NR writers personally from these. Yet I find myself avoiding reading even these except for selected articles and selected writers such as Andy McCarthy or Victor Davis Hansen.

Perhaps I've lost my curiosity, but I don't think so. I have lost my desire to have writers virtually beat me over the head regarding President Trump's words, actions, and policies. I've read enough of the leftist politicians and pundits that there is never a surprise, or an unexpected insight--only reflexive, thoughtless polemics.

Even on the right, I don't watch Hannity, Carlson, or other shows that are just opinion, because there will be no surprises there.

I've taken to reading a lot more fiction. Right now I'm halfway through The Mote in God's Eye by Niven and Pournelle, and enjoying it a lot. A much more intellectual and worthwhile pursuit, I think, than reading today's newspaper columns. Even better would be learning a new language, or reading the Great Books, but I'm not disciplined enough for that, I guess.

Thanks for listening.

Posts: 18042 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with you.

Posts: 775 | Registered: June 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
You probably remember the National Observer put out by Dow Jones. I really miss that paper.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I could not agree more with OP comments. I used to read a daily paper for years. The opinions used to be on the OPINION page, not in a news article.

I read the WSJ for years when it was a daily paper in print. I cancelled my subscription because I became tired of the delayed delivery by the USPS.

I am willing to pay for an online subscription to learn about new things. The WSJ used to have in depth articles on topics outside of pure financial news. I miss that. I have not accessed their site to know whether that still exists.

Posts: 17221 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Absolutely, OP. There is very little being written on left or right now (or by non-partisan sources) that is well thought out, or advances a discussion or understanding, other than by the writers you have mentioned and a few others. For example, I read a superb essay by Andrew Sullivan last week.

I hope that as Trump moves through his time in office, we see a return to analysis and commentary rather than an increase in polemics.

Good luck. I was thinking of the "other language" thing too, but don't have the discipline either.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12765 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Fiction is so much more interesting nowadays, anyway. Watching the "news" is like watching cartoons that are less entertaining. That is one of my favorite novels. Next, go for Ringworld and Dune.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I totally agree, but have not stated it so clearly as you, thanks for posting.

Posts: 11836 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I still get the local paper. Referred to here as the "Mining Urinal".
It allows me to keep tabs on the insanity.
Know thine enemy!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16059 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
It takes you back to the bad ol' days of Kremlin-watching, doesn't it? Sometimes you look for what slips through the political bias, sometimes you look for what the politically biased don't want to admit, and sometimes you look for what the politically biased would like you to ignore altogether - like the judges that have gotten confirmed, the regulations that have been gotten rid of, etc.

The up side for me is that the news industry isn't anywhere near as monolithic as it used to be.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
I gave up on the printed news media over 20 years ago. Why should I pay for something that is now 24+ hours late to the table, when electronic news media can give it to me instantly. Their content is nothing more than regurgitated leftist claptrap that is on CNNMSNBCCBSNBCABCBBCFNCWSJ.

I do buy the Sunday paper, but only for the weekly TV section and the grocery coupons, and even those can be downloaded at my option.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2698 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I stopped listening to Rush in 2008 because it's always more of the same= So.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13397 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the mornings I turn on One America News Network and will skim their site (OANN.com) throughout the day. To be fair, they are a conservative news source but they are usually pretty good about just giving the news.

Otherwise, I agree. I used to read papers and watch cable news religiously but I've become bored with being lectured to by both sides about how I am a terrible person if I don't believe 'X'.

Laughing in the face of danger is all well and good until danger laughs back.

Posts: 496 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Born in 1964. When I was growing up Time magazine and the US News and World Report were the go-to sources of news. It took the magazines a while but eventually I was convinced that a transformation from news reporting to propaganda occurred. A sad and sorry realization.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5962 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
I stopped listening to Rush in 2008 because it's always more of the same= So.

Yes, I stopped listening a long time ago, but recently signed up for the website. Rush has been very interesting in the Age of Trump, a good interpreter of how the elite and the MSM are dealing with the Trump phenomenon.

Posts: 18042 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NOT compromised!
Picture of SIGWALLY
posted Hide Post
Try watching "Kennady" on Fox business news. She does a great job. Very balanced with a touch of humor. She's a Libratrian so she tries to play it down the middle.

Posts: 1527 | Location: Tampa Bay, Florida | Registered: July 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stuck on
himself
posted Hide Post
I used to read the National Review religiously. Might check it once every other month these days. It's like it's all been said.

Getting pretty bored with the typical news sources too.

Posts: 4177 | Registered: January 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
You might be interested in reading a book I just started: Smear by Sharyl Attkisson
How Shady Political Operatives and Fake News control what you see, what you think, and how you vote.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19637 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
My problem is a bit different. I grew up reading one of the local papers. I actually enjoyed it and its probably where I really learned to read. But then a decade or so ago, the one I read collapsed and the other opted for a tabloid format. Now I live in an area that isn't served with a decent paper.

I won't pay for a subscription to a leftist paper that I abhor. It means I'm down to nibbling at tidbits from various dailies that allow outsiders to read.

I have no trust at all for any of the national media. But I guess its all OK. I spent a bundle getting new eyes (or lenses). I still can't read printed material except outside in the sun. Its why I read gun fora.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
I used to be a news junkie...then things turned straight up toxic.

I stopped reading all news during the last election. I thought things would get better, but it hasn't. For some reason, I just feel dirty reading most news sources...right and left.

I don't need all the negativity in my life.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You're buying the wrong newspaper. The Sun Sentinel here in South Florida rarely talks about Trump. It's mostly what's going on in South Florida etc.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post