SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Forum posts that annoy me:
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Forum posts that annoy me: Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
Threads with ambiguous titles. There's one in The Lounge now (Jan 7) with the title: "So what would a pair of". I guess they do it as click bait.

Correction: it's in Sig Pistols, rather than The Lounge. Thanks to Mustang-PaPa for catching my mistake.

Edit: I should've said: threads with deliberately ambiguous titles.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
At least it wasn't another one about pistols and bears.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Mods must've whacked it, cuz I don't see it.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

Its in the pistols section.

Posts: 18016 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mustang-PaPa:
quote:

Its in the pistols section.

You're right. Thanks for the correction.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
Click Me if you Dare

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5745 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Yup...I share your sentiment. I thought I read at one point that Para posted a thread prohibiting such abuse of thread titles, i.e., created to elicit a click or more commonly stated as "click bait". I would like to see a crackdown on this as well.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11052 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
Yup...I share your sentiment. I thought I read at one point that Para posted a thread prohibiting such abuse of thread titles, i.e., created to elicit a click or more commonly stated as "click bait".

It's click bait and he did.

quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
I would like to see a crackdown on this as well.

+1

I hate that crap, too.

I wonder if a pair of cautions from the boss not to start threads with cutesy subjects would get the point across?

(I nearly posted that ^^^^^ to that thread, btw.)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arlen
posted Hide Post
It is defined as "trolling" to have a title to a post which very ambiguous. I have seen that very many of the threads here have that type of title.

Regards,
arlen

======================
Some days, it's just not worth the effort of chewing through the leather straps.
======================

Posts: 408 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
What more can be done other than para repeatedly saying not to do it? If members choose to ignore his instructions, there's nothing a post from you will do to motivate them.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
What more can be done other than para repeatedly saying not to do it? If members choose to ignore his instructions, there's nothing a post from you will do to motivate them.

Agreed, it's no secret around here that misleading or uninformative thread titles piss him off.

Posts: 6337 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Go
Full Retard
Picture of MitchbSC
posted Hide Post
Well at least I *do not* need the help of forum moderators at Sigforum in order to stay alive.

They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Posts: 4797 | Location: SC | Registered: January 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:

It's ok if we bitch about people doing it, though, right?

Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
I'm with you. On the other hand, I need to figure out how to come up with thread titles that don't stretch to two lines - before there are any responses, anyway.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
How 'bout the maven who is an expert on everything.

We have one or two of those.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
How 'bout the maven who is an expert on everything.

We have one or two of those.

Luckily the kid who chimed in on every post seems to be gone.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10860 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
"So what do WE like for XYZ"

"I don't know ANYTHING about XYZ, explain it ALL to me"
(so I don't have to research anything)

Then again, nothing really annoys me, I just think it's stupid and attention seeking.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Looks like the thread in question really is gone, now?

Maybe the Boss has about had enough?

Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Looks like the thread in question really is gone, now?

Maybe the Boss has about had enough?

Probably had as much to do with its content. Posting links to active items for sale isn't well received either.

Posts: 18016 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
"So what do WE like for XYZ"

"I don't know ANYTHING about XYZ, explain it ALL to me"
(so I don't have to research anything)

Then again, nothing really annoys me, I just think it's stupid and attention seeking.

I'm with you. It's called Google. Narrow it down to a couple options and maybe ask members if they've used a certain brand. Or go to Amazon and read the reviews.
Click baits are simple. Don't click. And if the curiosity is just too much for you, well, you were just sitting around playing on the web anyway.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5680 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post