SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    What's up with Ohio?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's up with Ohio? Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
A change of plans/circumstances has us headed back to Maine a day early. Nothing worrisome.

Anyway, hauling butt across 80/90 and decided I wanted a milkshake. Stopped at FOUR different service plazas. 3 didn't even have a vendor that sold milkshakes, the fourth had a broken machine. Gah.

Also HIRE SOME FRICKIN PEOPLE! Every one of them had one person taking the orders AND doing the cooking/order filling. I got places to go, move yer ass!

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15210 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
you may have it mixed up wit Iowa and Idaho, it happens all the time

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54604 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Hauling butt across Ohio? Biggest speed trap in the US!

Posts: 17881 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hauling ass? Hard to do-the state bird of Ohio is the orange barrel!

Posts: 17139 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
Hauling butt across Ohio? Biggest speed trap in the US!

Yeah, they even joked about that in the 1983 movie "Cannonball Run" -

Organizer:
Of course you know certain sceptics note that perhaps 10,000 of the nations's most elite highway patrolmen are out there waiting for us after we start, but let's stay positively: Think of the fact that there's not one state in the 50 that has the death penalty for speeding... although I'm not so sure about Ohio.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21839 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted Hide Post
You're first mistake was trying to get a milkshake at a service plaza. Can't say I've ever seen a place that would sell them at a service plaza with the exception of McDonalds. Now if you're ever in the Canton, OH area stop at Heggy's and get a real milkshake. They serve it in the metal cup the make it in. While you're at it gets cheeseburger and fries. The fries come with a pat of butter in top. Man, I'm making myself hungry.

Posts: 2337 | Location: Massillon, OH | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
Serious question, when you say service plaza what do you mean? When I hear that phrase I think of the gas station/rest stop combos you find on toll roads in OK and the like where you don't pay a toll to exit as they're part of the toll road system. This versus a gas station at an exit where you'd pay to get off/on again.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigM4:
Serious question, when you say service plaza what do you mean? When I hear that phrase I think of the gas station/rest stop combos you find on toll roads in OK and the like where you don't pay a toll to exit as they're part of the toll road system. This versus a gas station at an exit where you'd pay to get off/on again.

Pretty much. As I recall (it's been a couple years since I drove it, but used to make the trip often) the ones on 80/90 in OH are basically a rest stop with a gas station, shitters, several stores, and several "restaurant" choices.

Posts: 20081 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, hard to hire people in Ohio...too much welfare.
And orange barrels? Ohio has cornered the market on them.

Dayton used to be the worst for them, but now Columbus is bad too. Heck we took our Razor to Wayne National in S.E. Ohio and they even had orange barrels on the trail. No joke, we have phone pics.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Did you come from behind
that rock, or from under it?

Picture of Audioholic
posted Hide Post
I went to MI recently and 80 through OH was between 1/4 and 1/3 construction zones. They have no problem charging full pop for the toll but could care less how much you're delayed by their never-ending construction schemes.

I generally pack my own food on trips so I'm only in the service areas for gas and the rest room. But the few minutes I'm inside I'm treated to blaring announcements about double/triple fines in construction zones. Blow me, I'm not doing 50 on a 70 mph road just because they're too lazy to pick up unneeded barrels. I slow down if there's actual work being done or when the road surface is compromised but they leave way too many miles of perfectly good road barreled off.

"Every time you think you weaken the nation" Moe Howard

Posts: 2048 | Location: Out standing in my field. | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And my friends still wonder why I want to get out of this place so much. Nothing here but cows and cornfields and not a good job left to be had.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2735 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Safely home.

While there was considerable construction on 80, it never impeded traffic. Rolled right along.

I've always considered Ohio as the World's Longest Speed Trap too, but we whistled right along with the flow of traffic, running about 5 over most of the time. Saw a lot of OHP, and a few with folks pulled over, but nothing oppressive.

Came westbound on 90 all the way and Massivetwoshits was positively CRAWLING with troopers. I bet we saw 20 or more either cruising, parked in the median or "interviewing" folks on the side of the road.

I was a tad disappointed in the Corolla. I've been getting 34 to 36 around town since I bought it new in 2012. This is the first time I've had it on the super slab, preferring to do my long distance riding in the Tundra which is MUCH more comfortable.

Got a best of 39.x in the flatlands. Cruising at 70 +/-. I was expecting/hoping for 40 or 41 at least. Still, better than the Tundra which gave me 20.x under the same conditons.

Gas prices pretty consistent around $2.70 to $2.85, except for the one robber baron in Ohio (surprise...) that was charging $2.99

Service plaza (desription by others right on the money) prices, local prices not much different at least in Michigan. I think the low was $2.55 and I don't recall where that was.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15210 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
Safely home.

While there was considerable construction on 80, it never impeded traffic. Rolled right along.

I've always considered Ohio as the World's Longest Speed Trap too, but we whistled right along with the flow of traffic, running about 5 over most of the time. Saw a lot of OHP, and a few with folks pulled over, but nothing oppressive.

Came westbound on 90 all the way and Massivetwoshits was positively CRAWLING with troopers. I bet we saw 20 or more either cruising, parked in the median or "interviewing" folks on the side of the road.

I stopped taking 90 across Mass earlier this year and instead go across route 9 just northwest of Concord and take that across western NH, VT and dumps into NY on route 7 just east of Albany. Beautiful drive though I wouldn't want to do it in winter.

Posts: 2189 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by birddog1:
You're first mistake was trying to get a milkshake at a service plaza. Can't say I've ever seen a place that would sell them at a service plaza with the exception of McDonalds. Now if you're ever in the Canton, OH area stop at Heggy's and get a real milkshake. They serve it in the metal cup the make it in. While you're at it gets cheeseburger and fries. The fries come with a pat of butter in top. Man, I'm making myself hungry.

Best milkshakes in Ohio were made at Saywells Drug Store in Hudson, Ohio. In addition those Coca Cola lamps over the soda fountain were actual 100% real Tiffany pieces.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5643 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post