SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    What Does a National Day of Mourning Have to Do with The Post Office
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Does a National Day of Mourning Have to Do with The Post Office Login/Join 
posted
Does closing the post office for this make sense to anyone ?

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
I agree...pretty stupid

Posts: 7791 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The head of WV schools announced Wed as a day off for mourning. All schools closed. Guess the churches will be packed.

The USPS is broke, & they need a day off to join in the mourning. Our carrier was in a great mood today. Now I know why. Not a word mentioned about GHWB except for why they got the day off. Sad.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Just another free vacation for Federal workers.

Got the same song and dance from another federal administrative department.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Perhaps if they hadn't diminished the symbolism of the flag at half mast by using it for everything.....

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
The National Day of Mourning does not have to be observed by the USPS, it is up to the discretion of the Post Master General. We were not even notified until this morning, and they were already asking for volunteers to deliver packages on Wednesday.

The USPS doesn't stop any day of the year. Yes, you might not get mail delivery, but it runs 24/7/365 EVERY DAY OF THE YEAR. Mail sorting facilities run 3 shifts, 24hrs a day. All that means is there will be twice as much mail to deal with on Thursday. It's like having two Mondays in one week, in the busiest time of the year.

The National Day of Mourning has been observed for the deaths of all former Presidents. It is nothing new.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
We got mail today, such as it is. All kinds of Christmas ads, and still a bunch of Medicare ads. That last should end on Pearl Harbor Day.

I'm convinced I worked all those years paying into Medicare so it could support foreigners working phone banks across the globe. Trying to talk to me in some broken Engrish. And probably not paying US taxes on their income. Medicare must be pretty lucrative to finance all those ads and callers trying to get me to switch to their plan.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
Well here in Texas most state employees have the day off. State agencies will be open, but will operate only with the minimum number of employees to operate to allow most employees to be off. I will be working and will earn comp time.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8657 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
The National Day of Mourning has been observed for the deaths of all former Presidents. It is nothing new.

A practice that should end immediately. Complete waste of money and doesn't eliminate the need to deliver the mail, just delays it a bit. I don't want pay for it, not one cent, not even a half a cent.

Thank you for your service to this country GHWB, I'm happy you are reunited with Barbara, may you have an happy eternity together, but that has nothing to do with mail delivery service shutting down. Zero, zip, zilch. It would be like my shoe shine guy in Miami closing down because a councilman from Bismarck ND died. What the hell dose one have with the other?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
What the hell dose one have with the other?

The Post Office is part of the Executive branch of the U.S. Government. The President is the chief executive of the U.S. Goverment.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4611 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SevenPlusOne:

The Post Office is part of the Executive branch of the U.S. Government. The President is the chief executive of the U.S. Goverment.

Big fuckin' deal. Now get back to work. No disrespect intended for President Bush. I worked for a distillery back in the 1980s. All their executives were elderly Jewish guys. They all have died, and I didn't even know it. None died while they were working, they waited until after they retired. I feel cheated that I didn't get paid days off when each died.

Mr Bush was also the head of our military. How many recruits going thru Basic will get Wednesday off? Railroads used to stuff extra guys in the caboose. It was called featherbeding. More overpaid employees (not workers). Same as government at most levels.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Dick, I'm afraid that you have contracted the disease that I've long been suffering from.

Occularectumitis: When your optic nerve gets connected to your asshole and you get a shitty outlook on everything. Big Grin

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Lazy assholes getting an excuse to be off, that's all.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bolo4tom
posted Hide Post
as a retired mailhandler that worked in a P&DC I can assure you, they will still be working, they run 24/7. while the front line clerks at the PO will be off, the real movers of the mail will still be trudging along. and I have to say, lazy? sure the PO has some lazy people but no different than any other organization. if you could really see what goes on and how much mail is actually handled/delivered daily, you might be shocked. sadly, the mismanagement and the USPS's bad rep is caused by top line govt paper pushers. your blanket 'lazy' statement is unfair to the hard working, dedicated masses at the USPS.

Posts: 404 | Registered: October 24, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bolo4tom
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by recoatlift:
The head of WV schools announced Wed as a day off for mourning. All schools closed. Guess the churches will be packed.

what part of West 'by God' Virginia you from? Im from Bluefield and lived in Charleston for 10 years before moving to Gods country, aka East TN.

Posts: 404 | Registered: October 24, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
quote:
Originally posted by SevenPlusOne:

Mr Bush was also the head of our military. How many recruits going thru Basic will get Wednesday off? Railroads used to stuff extra guys in the caboose. It was called featherbeding. More overpaid employees (not workers). Same as government at most levels.

I can't talk about the trainees, but looking around my base most folks took the day. I didn't. However, I know at least one base that gave soldiers a late call (NO PT). I liked and respected President Bush (both of them), but work has to get done.

Posts: 4546 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
NK402,

I guess I failed to answer your initial question. President Trump signed an executive order to observe the National Day of Mourning to be recognized on Wednesday, 12/4/18. It was up to the Post Master General to decide whether or not to observe the National Day of Mourning. There were three options: observe it, don't observe it, or observe it at a later date. It is NOT up to the discretion of the individual employee on whether they wish to work. Some USPS employees will work regardless as retail stores and mail delivery are "closed for the day", and that doesn't effect their job. Others were forced into work, since technically the PO is closed, but there still is "work to be done". The remainder of the work force is off for the day, but as I stated earlier, the Post Office never closes, so it just creates a backlog for the rest of the week for those who were mandated to take the day off. If I was given the option to work today, I would have worked, as it is the busiest time of the year.

The USPS is the 2nd largest civilian employer in the US. Although I don't have the current stats, at one point, and it still could be, the USPS was the largest employer of military vets. A lot of us do our postal jobs with the same dignity and respect we learned in the military. Calling a postal worker lazy, if you have never walked a mile in military or postal boots, is pretty insulting, as many of us have walked many miles in both.

Merry Christmas,
Smith

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Guess what the military is doing today?

Working.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Guess what the military is doing today?

Working.

If the Post Office is the Military I want my M-16 back, with endless free ammo.

Posts: 4611 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Lazy assholes getting an excuse to be off, that's all.

I'll let the guys who have worked 40 days in a row without a day off know you think this.
Today is my NSD (day off) anyway, so I get one day of Admin leave.