SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Read the instructions on your fertilizer
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Read the instructions on your fertilizer Login/Join 
posted
Especially where it says "Apply when grass is wet so weed & feed will stick to grass." I read the part where it says "Do not apply if rain is expected within 24 hours, that distracted me and I missed the apply wet part.

I'll call Scotts tomorrow, I'm tempted to water the front and then reapply. While it's wet this time....

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I like Weed and Feed products like these:

No need to water before applying. You hook the hose to the bottle, and water while you apply.

Makes it a bit simpler, both by removing the extra step of watering first (or waiting for it to rain) as well as by making application a bit faster.

However, you pay a premium for the convenience, so if you're doing a large yard, the granules are likely cheaper.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't think you'll have an issue. Another option is to just turn the sprinklers on for a minute each zone.....

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just got off the phone with Scotts. The lady (who put me on hold to check) said it would still work but would take longer. It's been 48 hours and should be OK to water, I'm going to wait one more day.

I've been doing this 25 years, I should know to read the instructions. ALL OF THEM.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
The Scott's weed/feed we used didn't say anything about apply when grass is wet, to me recollection.
I do remember it saying it needed to be watered in immediately. So I guess, about the same instruction.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15314 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
The Scott's weed/feed we used didn't say anything about apply when grass is wet, to me recollection.
I do remember it saying it needed to be watered in immediately. So I guess, about the same instruction.

Read the instructions, ALL of them. I didn't.

I think it's weed killers that need to be applied to wet grass and stay dry for 24 hours, the feed only needs to be watered in. The info is on the bag, but it's useless if you don't read it. Smile

Picture of ewills
posted Hide Post
No wonder my yard looks like complete ASS. I have been doing it wrong for a long time. I just read the instructions on the bag for the first time. It is amazing how much there is to learn from this forum, every single day.

Posts: 308 | Location: NOVA | Registered: February 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
I use bag fertilizer but I spray weeds with a liquid such as Ortho Weed b Gone and use the concentrate to mix my own as it is much more economical that way. With a liquid spray the entire weed can easily be covered with the product and that for me has shown to be much more effective. There are inexpensive hose end sprayers for when large areas need to be covered with weed killer.

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just read the instructions on the bag for the first time. It is amazing how much there is to learn from this forum, every single day.

Yeah that happens a lot. REAL MEN do not read instructions. LOL

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
No more granular weed & feed for me. Applying to wet grass means you better wear rubber boots, and the drop spreader gets all gummed up. I applied to a damp lawn on Monday and then we proceeded to get about 3 inches of rain. Mad

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The problem with the grainular weed n' feed is that it persists on the surface until it dissolves and is absorbed. If you have pets (I do) or small children (first one is percolating now) you don’t want that stuff lingering.

Using the concentrate that hooks to your hose like RogueJSK suggested can be a safer choice for that reason.

Now, my weed n' feed spray suggested watering the lawn a day or two in advance to ensure the mixture will absorbe and to not spray if you expect rain within twenty-four hours.

Laughing in the face of danger is all well and good until danger laughs back.

Posts: 496 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post