SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Yes, I have a cell phone. No, I'm not available 24/7
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Yes, I have a cell phone. No, I'm not available 24/7 Login/Join 
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted
I don't understand how some people just refuse to get it.

Just because my cell phone rings does not mean I am obligated to check it. I am not going to stop what I am doing for someone else’s convenience.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3840 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pistolria
posted Hide Post
Must be a Duval thing...

Posts: 671 | Location: Jacksonville Beach, FL | Registered: July 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
The ringer on my cell phone is always turned to "off." My phone will only vibrate on an incoming call. My watch is tethered to my phone, so when a call comes in, I can glance at my watch and decide if I want to answer it.

Any number I do not recognize (i.e., have in my address book) is automatically ignored and sent to voicemail limbo.

I have no problem with problem callers.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Houston is the western hub of the oil & gas industry. When I was in Alaska, there was 3 hours time difference from Houston. People who knew I was in Alaska would call my cell phone when they got to work knowing full well it was 3:30 to 5:00 AM.

That is when I discovered the Do Not Disturb setting on my phone where it doesn't ring or vibrate for calls or texts between the hours of my choosing (e.g. 11 PM and 7 AM). You can add people to favorites that will still ring/vibrate (e.g. someone who would only call for a real emergency) and you can enable a twice in a row setting so that it'll ring/vibrate if they call twice in a row.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23102 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about the people who text you at 6:30 AM because they figure if they're up, you must be too.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I've long made it clear that (a) you're welcome to call or text or email 24/7, and (b) my phone is for my convenience, not anyone else. I'm not a rat who performs a task when the bell dings, and if I'm busy or asleep I'll get back to you when it's convenient for me.

An obligation to answer 24/7 will cost them, significantly.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spectemur Agendo
Picture of brecaidra
posted Hide Post
I finally acquired a phone a few moths ago, and it astounds me how people will send a text and then wonder why I don't reply immediately.
Um, because I have a life and am not constantly checking for messages?

It also astounds me how many people will keep their phones right next to them at all times and drop whatever else they are doing every time they get a notification sound.

SIGforum's triple minority

"It can't rain all the time." - Eric Draven

Posts: 16993 | Location: IA | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
it astounds me how people will send a text and then wonder why I don't reply immediately.

My CPA office is in the daylight basement of my 3 story townhome. My cellphone rests beside my desk & I refuse to carry it around the home. I do not text as I must keep printable records of all client contacts. No matter how many time I explain all this to clients, they think I must answer the text/phone at 9pm on Sunday.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4251 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

My iPhone kicks into Do Not Disturb at 18:00 until 06:00. I have a special group configured that is allowed to break through the Do Not Disturb. Currently only my wife and a close friend are in that group, and they each have a special ringtone that gets my attention.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do not disturb is on 24/7. The phone works for me not the other way around.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
My phone is powered off most of the day. It's not my master; I turn it on when I need it.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16488 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brecaidra:
I finally acquired a phone a few moths ago, and it astounds me how people will send a text and then wonder why I don't reply immediately.
I have had to explain several times that "Instant Message" does not mean "Instant Reply".

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a bigger boat
Picture of CaptainMike
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately I am on call 24/7 so I do answer work calls at all hours.
The good news is I get paid 1 hour overtime rate 7 days a week for being available, whether work calls me or not.

MOO means NO! Be the comet!

Posts: 2769 | Location: The Tidewater. VCOA. | Registered: June 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yup, Do Not Disturb 1800-0600, sometimes more. I can look at the screen if I want to catch up. I usually don't.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
My wife would challenge the OP and bre are both using their phones wrong.

My wife is the one to ask, at 9pm, "who's that?" when my phone chirps with a text or phone call. She gives me the stink eye when I reply "don't know, I'm not a slave to my phone."

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
A colleague of mine walks into the office one morning bitching because our VP called him at 2am.

I asked him for his phone and turned on ‘Do Not Disturb’. “Problem solved” I told him.

I wanted to ask him why he answered the phone for our VP at 2am. Roll Eyes

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6373 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I have to keep my phone on 24/7 for emergencies. I've got 24 guys under me at work and I had to posts signs all over the place telling them to stop calling my cell phone when they call in sick!! Call the office phone instead and leave a voice mail (which get's emailed to me anyway).
Work starts at 8AM and these dumb M'er F'ers are calling waking me up at 5AM and earlier to tell me they're not coming in. Mad

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost in the Woods
Picture of NHForester
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:
How about the people who text you at 6:30 AM because they figure if they're up, you must be too.

I’m in the forestry business. You can back that up by two hours. Reason why I keep my ringer off.

Posts: 1475 | Location: Newfound Lake, NH | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
Do Not Disturb is your friend Smile

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10487 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I go to bed (shift work), my ringer is shut off, my phone is placed screen down on my night stand (so I can't see it light up if someone did call or text, or see the blinking notification light) and it is plugged into charge. My wife gets mad at me, says what would happen if I get in an accident and end up in the Hospital, I told her that she would be in good hands and that I would get the message when I woke up...

Posts: 1913 | Location: U.P. of michigan | Registered: March 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post