SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Dealership Service Departments.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dealership Service Departments. Login/Join 
Picture of rtquig
posted
Today I took my daughter's 2015 Hyundai Sonata in for a recall to update the computer. I brought with me oil and a new filter as it was due for an oil change which I normally do myself. With it being so cold out and looking at bad weather for the next week or so I decided to ask the dealer to do it. I have never brought parts to a dealer before but have seen many post where people bring in their own oil and filters. I use Mobil 1 synthetic and Mobil 1 filter.

So when I get to the dealership, the service write up guy tells me that don't put in oil and filters that they don't sell. I ask how much for an oil change and he quotes me $29 for conventional oil, I declined. Sitting for a few minutes I start thinking I am not going to be able to change the oil for a few weeks so why not let them do the change and next time I will go back to the synthetic and do it myself. The guy who wrote up the service ticket was not there, but another service writer asked if he could help me. I explained the oil story and his response was " We do it all the time, Your cost will be $22.
I'm glad they put in the oil I brought but have to wonder why one service writer said no and the other said yes?

Living the Dream

Posts: 4014 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Service Writers are typically paid on a commission basis. Little incentive for them to undersell.

Posts: 417 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: June 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In my Wif's 2010 Santa Fe, the owners manual says synthetic oil only, 5000 mile interval.
First Hyundai, so don't about others, but what does your owners manual say?
Dealer pushing something against factory recommendations?

Jim

Posts: 1349 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
With mine the factory shop manual says to use Mobil 1 full synthetic 10W30 only. I change my own oil and it still runs about $60.

Posts: 9142 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
With mine the factory shop manual says to use Mobil 1 full synthetic 10W30 only. I change my own oil and it still runs about $60.

After my free 24,000 mile service agreement expired I stopped taking my Camry to the dealership for oil changes and started taking it to my mechanic. My mechanic charges me 59 bucks for full synthetic oil change and it costs me just a few dollars less to do it myself so I let my mechanic do it.

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
My personal car is a 2012 Elantra GLS. Bought in 2011. Just went over 71K miles. I have no idea what oil it takes (recommended) or how much it costs. Periodically I get advertisements from the Hyundai dealership for free oil and filter change. Which I use.

The book recommends change at 7500 mile intervals.

As a matter of fact, I was there yesterday getting the oil changed. While I was waiting some young lady approached me and started talking about a new car. Great financing etc yada yada. Told her "not interested". Like most car sales persons, she didn't give up so easily and offered to pay off the loan, yada yada.

She was not exactly pushy but was getting annoying. Asked why she was so interested in my car. She finally admitted that they very seldom had the opportunity to get a car in such great shape with so few miles. IOW, they could make money on it. Nothing new there. 3 trips to the waiting room to bother me over it.

The dealership service department is great, but their sales folks seem to be a little pushy which turns me off, immediately. Should the need arise, I would buy another Hyundai but would be very selective in choosing the sales person. Did I say that pushy salesmen(women) irritate me?

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25642 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
My 2018 Santa Fe recommends a 7500 mile and full synthetic oil as does my wife's 2013 Honda Pilot.
The Honda dealer always tries to get her to trade it in when we go for oil changes too. I did the oil change on her Pilot yesterday so we wouldn't have to deal with the pushy sales people. After fighting with the oil filter that must have been put on by some damn gorilla I may just go back to the dealer for changes from now on.

Posts: 2912 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been taking our Toyota Solara and Sienna back to the dealer for full synthetic oil and filter changes. They are significantly cheaper than other places.

Posts: 693 | Location: E. Central Missouri | Registered: January 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by walkinghorse:
In my Wif's 2010 Santa Fe, the owners manual says synthetic oil only, 5000 mile interval.
First Hyundai, so don't about others, but what does your owners manual say?
Dealer pushing something against factory recommendations?

My owners manual says 7500 miles for both of my Sonatas.
When I let the dealer change the oil on the 2013, it had 16,000 miles. I asked to upgrade to synthetic oil which I had to pay around $60 IIRC. When I looked at the receipt and the little sticker on the windshield they said next change due in 3,000. I questioned WTF, and was told the factory now states all the United States is considered "Severe Conditions" and required the 3,000 mile change no matter what oil is used. I called him out on it and told him the loaner car they gave me while the oil was changed and a recall looked at said 7500 mile oil change. It was changed 2 days earlier. No answer give. That dealership closed, but they own another one where I now take the cars for recall work. I do most of the maintenance myself, or if it is something too much to handle I bring my vehicles to school and the auto shop teacher has his afternoon classes do the work. Morning classes are first year students.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4014 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nframe:
My 2018 Santa Fe recommends a 7500 mile and full synthetic oil as does my wife's 2013 Honda Pilot.
The Honda dealer always tries to get her to trade it in when we go for oil changes too. I did the oil change on her Pilot yesterday so we wouldn't have to deal with the pushy sales people. After fighting with the oil filter that must have been put on by some damn gorilla I may just go back to the dealer for changes from now on.

Torque, one of the many reasons I do my own oil changes and as much other maint as I can. Oil filters should be hand tightened only, after moistening the rubber ring of the filter with new oil. An oil filter wrench is handy for loosening but should never be used to tighten. They also tend to over torque drain plugs, a problem easily remedied with a Fumoto valve.

Mongo only pawn in game of life...

Posts: 683 | Location: DFW | Registered: August 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^
I agree. I have the Fumato on my Silverado, My Honda Civic has a bolt in the way that prevents me from putting one on. I haven't tried them on the Sonata's.

Living the Dream

Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Or maybe the service manager told the first writer "we no longer use customer's oil and filter" and never got around to telling the second writer this and expects him to find out by osmosis. Or a customer part failed, customer screamed blaming the technician. The dealership redid the work, wrote it off and reamed the writer even though he or the technician did nothing wrong and backcharged the tech and the writer for the parts and labor bill. Seen it before, worked in dealerships 47 years. Generally they are snakepits, at least since the last economic crash they have gotten worse.

I hate pressure sales tactics whether it be in the service drive or showroom. Nothing turns me off more than that. Last dealership I worked at one of the new writers tried that on me. My response started out with "Show me where in the owners manual, a TSB or the service manuals that service is required". When he said it was a good idea I replied with "Sonny boy, I worked in dealerships before you were peeing in your Pampers, not gonna fly here." Needless to say during his short tenure he and I were not pals.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
It's not uncommon for a place to refuse to use customer parts if they have to warranty the work. Doesn't explain the different decisions by different people, but the first guy's reaction doesn't surprise me.

Posts: 3659 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Wow. Only thing I'll take my car in for is warranty work. They're just a slimey group of people out to squeeze every last dollar from you.

Posts: 13096 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Walmart sells top grade synthetics, MobilOne, Castrol, etc for about $25 for a five qt. jug. A filter is about $6 . Why is it costing you guys $60 to change your own oil?

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Go
Full Retard
Picture of MitchbSC
posted Hide Post
My dealer service dept loves to send me home with lost sockets knocking around up front and spare bolts in my cup holders.

They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Posts: 4797 | Location: SC | Registered: January 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Yep - I just went in for an oil change. My Mazda 3 has 47K on it and apparently was in desperate need of a fuel flush for only $114.

No Thanks,
Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4223 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Perfection is impossible,
Trying is not…
posted Hide Post
I took my Infiniti FX45 in for a 120k service. I made an appointment online and they were having a service special that sounded pretty good.
Replace engine air filter
Replace engine oil and filter
Replace in-cabin microfilter
Rotate tires
Replace engine coolant
And of course Inspect everything.
All for $155.97.
Well the 2 airfilters alone are $60 each so I jumped on it. When it came time to pay they said it would be $376.00. I showed them on their website where it said $155. Well not only did they honor it but a week later their site still shows the $155 price. Now all I have to do is figure out how to replace the valve covers. They're plastic and cost $400 each and labor is $400 each. Hell I can't even see them. Might just pick up this Land Rover I saw for sale. At least I can work on them.

Ray

"Isn't it weird that in AMERICA, our flag & our culture offend so many people - but our benefits do not"

Posts: 516 | Location: OKC | Registered: October 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
I don't trust them period, they have to show me.

Posts: 1953 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Might just pick up this Land Rover I saw for sale. At least I can work on them.

Often.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12402 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post