SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Dealership Service Departments.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dealership Service Departments. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MitchbSC:
My dealer service dept loves to send me home with lost sockets knocking around up front and spare bolts in my cup holders.

I have a really nice Snap On 17mm combo wrench because of this kind of stuff....about a week after a service appt I heard some rattling and found it wedged in the engine compartment, I took it as a free parting gift

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:
Yep - I just went in for an oil change. My Mazda 3 has 47K on it and apparently was in desperate need of a fuel flush for only $114.

No Thanks,
Mike

That's "Wallet Flush" to you.

Don't you know that if you don't get this very critical service done you could lose control of your car and hit a busload of nuns taking puppies and kittens to a shelter and cause it to go off the side of a cliff in flames?

That shit used to piss me off to no end. If I go into a shop and they try that stuff one time that is the last time I will step foot in there.

Last dealership I worked at, just after I started there my Sierra developed a surge and SES light on. Writer said "Well we need to do a injector flush first" to which I replied "Who pays?" Answer was "Well you do". Then came my reply "Get GMPP to pay for it then."
Surprise, problem found was a bad camshaft and distributor. Guess that flush would not have helped that.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I never heard of bringing your own supplies to a dealership, isn't that like bringing your own food to a restaurant and making them cook it?

Posts: 33601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
I never heard of bringing your own supplies to a dealership, isn't that like bringing your own food to a restaurant and making them cook it?

I bring my own oil to the Subaru Dealership. I prefer Mobil 1 in my vehicles, and Subaru only changes using their own oil. If I want Mobil 1, I have to bring it.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:

Not unusual at all for oil.
How do people go to a restaurant and bring their own wine? I admit, The first time I read a post on people bringing their oil and filter to a dealer I thought it was strange. I am on truck forums as often as I am on gun forums and many, many people bring their own oil to the dealership.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I don't like the local dealers, we've found it difficult to buy a vehicle from them. My wife's Pilot just had a recall, she took it to the local dealer. She came home with a list of what the Pilot needs, almost immediately. I looked it over and was amazed at the list and prices. Talk about scare tactics to a lady that doesn't understand cars. She took it to the shop that regularly services it:

Needs Battery - second opinion battery is fine

Needs Tires - 2 other opinions (one is mine) tires are fine Dealer quote $1050.00 Her service shop $700.00 same tire, I'm a dealer for them, my cost $110.00 but that's plus shipping and install, probably another $220.00

$550.00 fluid service - Huh?

Replace bushings - Huh?

Timing Belt - yes but not for another 25,000 miles

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3388 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Back when I worked in dealerships I know the service guys would talk about customers bringing in Mobil 1 all the time as opposed to getting the bulk oil the dealer would use but I think there is/was some pushback on supplying own parts for warranty reasons

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevmo:
quote:

Back when I worked in dealerships I know the service guys would talk about customers bringing in Mobil 1 all the time as opposed to getting the bulk oil the dealer would use but I think there is/was some pushback on supplying own parts for warranty reasons

The dealerships would like you to think the oil they don't sell you is not warrantied. If you engine takes a dump, they have to prove your oil is the problem. The dealership cannot say their certified claims it is your oil it has to go to a certified lab that can say whether or not it is the oils fault.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rtquig:
quote:
Originally posted by Kevmo:
quote:

The dealerships would like you to think the oil they don't sell you is not warrantied. If you engine takes a dump, they have to prove your oil is the problem. The dealership cannot say their certified claims it is your oil it has to go to a certified lab that can say whether or not it is the oils fault.

I was actually referring to parts not the oil

Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by UTsig:

$550.00 fluid service - Huh?

Like I said, wallet flush!

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

In a lot countries that is fairly common. Buy your fresh seafood/meat/whatever, go across the street, hand them your groceries and wait for dinner.

Posts: 820 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have stayed at places in The Bahamas where that was pretty standard. Whatever you caught fishing, the kitchen would prepare it for your dinner. Maybe even share it with other guests who were staying there. Fresh grouper, mmmm . . .

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:

You can buy synthetic oil at Walmart and an oil filter for about $25-30. Add in the industry standard labor for an oil change ($15-$25), and that gets you a synthetic oil change for $40-55.

If you go to most dealers and just ask for a synthetic oil change, they are SERIOUSLY up charging the cost of the synthetic oil, and you would be lucky to get out of most dealers at $100, for the synthetic oil change.

So you can save $50 if you buy the oil yourself at Walmart.

Just watch the guys do the work to make sure that the bulk oil doesn't get pumped in, and your expensive synthetic oil doesn't end up in the tech's trunk.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sakata8242:
quote:

In a lot countries that is fairly common. Buy your fresh seafood/meat/whatever, go across the street, hand them your groceries and wait for dinner.

Many restaurants in coastal FL towns are accustomed to people bringing in whatever they've caught that day and cooking it for them.

I agree it isn't "common" but I've seen it done numerous times.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rsbolo:
quote:
Originally posted by sakata8242:
quote:

Many restaurants in coastal FL towns are accustomed to people bringing in whatever they've caught that day and cooking it for them.

I agree it isn't "common" but I've seen it done numerous times.

Yeah, but that's a slightly different story and typically these restaurants charge almost as much to cook your fish (75%) per person of what you could order their fish off of the menu.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post