SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Pot fillers....
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pot fillers.... Login/Join 
posted
My wife watches a lot of HGTV and DIY shows and the newest design fad is pot fillers.

Am I the only one that thinks that adding all of that plumbing and money for such a silly thing is ridiculous?!?! The sink is three feet away....

Posts: 545 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
What kind of grow lights do you use?

Posts: 107472 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a very expensive model. It's a "y" splitter hose off the wash machine fill hose, with a cut-off valve. I must have all of $20 tied up in that...

It gets used quite a bit. Humidifier reservoirs, the 30-cup coffee pot, etc, won't fit under the faucet in the sink.

I'm pretty sure I won't be plumbing a special-purpose sink to replace it.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2064 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
We have a large utility sink in the mud/laundry room. Very useful.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In my last house we had one over the gas cooktop. Very convenient when filling a pot for cooking spaghetti or something like that. Kitchen sink was away from the cooktop on the island.

Posts: 258 | Location: Murfreesboro, TN | Registered: February 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
I wish I had one to tell the truth. I regularly use and consequently have to wash 5 or 10 gallon containers, and my only option is to do it in my bathtub. The spigot for my bathtub still isn't high enough, but I can get about 4 gallons in a container by tilting it and I can't even get them to fit under anything else in the house.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Just another way for my wife to spill stuff in a new location. No thanks.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live for today.
Tomorrow will
cost more
Picture of motor59
posted Hide Post
My buddy, a recently retired restaurant owner, is in the process of designing his retirement home in coastal NC. I asked him if this was going to be included, as I have always thought it to be a cool idea.

He told me that the problem with this idea is that unless you're using it on a almost daily basis, the slug of water in the line to the stove spigot gets a little stale, and you can definitely taste a difference in the food cooked using it. So, you end up letting it run a bit, then dump the pot into the sink, before actually using the water from it. Kinda defeats the purpose...

He is going for an oversized sink with a high mount faucet instead.

suaviter in modo, fortiter in re

Posts: 3141 | Location: Exit 7 NJ | Registered: March 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I'd rather have a deep and wide "farm sink", with a pull-out faucet head. Removes the need for a separate pot filler.

Posts: 32489 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
I have a high arc faucet with a pull out head that works great.
In addition, I have a standard hose spigot installed in the cold water line under the sink that accepts a standard hose. I installed it to make connecting the chilling cooler for my beer brewing easier, but it's really handy for buckets and such too.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I installed one at my wife's request in our recently remodeled kitchen. The new may wear off because it's only been a few months, but we use it several times a week.

However, my wife and I enjoy cooking together and therefore cook a lot, including lots of pasta and steamed seafood. I would do it again in a heartbeat. YMMV.

Tommy

Posts: 140 | Location: Midland, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
I've got the sprayer hose for things that don't fit in the sink.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I want one like they have at Chinese Restaurants...where the gas burners are basically built into the sink and they can keep the water running at a trickle right next to the burner.

Edit: did some googling. Apparently they're called water cooled wok ranges.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Some of y'all gave really missed the OP's point. This is a pot filler (dedicated faucet over cooktop):

Pretty expensive "nice to have" considering the kitchen sink is likely 3' away.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23200 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
Some of y'all gave really missed the OP's point. This is a pot filler (dedicated faucet over cooktop):

Pretty expensive "nice to have" considering the kitchen sink is likely 3' away.

Exactly....

Posts: 545 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
to me its kind of like a yeti or rtic cooler, really expensive when ice is cheap.

maybe it could help with stove fires?

Posts: 378 | Registered: March 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by creedbratton2:
to me its kind of like a yeti or rtic cooler, really expensive when ice is cheap.

maybe it could help with stove fires?
Most stove fires are grease/oil and water is a really bad idea on grease/oil fires

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/9WAQcQuARU8

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23200 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
I want one like they have at Chinese Restaurants...where the gas burners are basically built into the sink and they can keep the water running at a trickle right next to the burner.

Edit: did some googling. Apparently they're called water cooled wok ranges.

Those are very cool...and useful too.

If you do a lot of wok cooking, it is the easiest cleanup ever invented

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14179 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
where the heck do I get one of these "30-cup coffee pots"
quote:
Originally posted by whanson_wi:
I have a very expensive model. It's a "y" splitter hose off the wash machine fill hose, with a cut-off valve. I must have all of $20 tied up in that...

It gets used quite a bit. Humidifier reservoirs, the 30-cup coffee pot, etc, won't fit under the faucet in the sink.

I'm pretty sure I won't be plumbing a special-purpose sink to replace it.

I've got a .22 lr paycheck and .41 mag tastes

Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6

Posts: 76 | Location: Dewitt, Iowa | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Hmm, a faucet not over a drain. What could possibly go wrong? Other than that, it's a solution to a problem I've never had.

What I'd really like is a faucet that allowed water to flow freely so I didn't have to wait so long to fill a pot or the sink. Stupid government mandates.

Posts: 10900 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post