SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Bums
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Bums Login/Join 
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
Go into LAX at 4:30 AM. I think they let the homeless live in the airport. I got to LAX early to check in for a flight and there was nothing but homeless people dragging blankets aimlessly throughout the airport. Even had a 70-ish homeless woman try and start a conversation with me claiming to a be a CBS reporter on her way to Afghanistan on Emirate airlines to do a story on terrorism. I tried to ignore her and when a hispanic family sat down in the seats in front of me with snack, she hit them up for crackers. Pretty soom she just wandered off.
 
Posts: 2731 | Location: Southeast Virginia | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
"The policy that led to the release of most of the nation's mentally ill patients from the hospital to the community is now widely regarded as a major failure.



As if this was not predictable!?!?!

Dumping 1000s of mentally ill people out on the streets was a guaranteed recipe for failure. For which we, and they, are paying a big price.

I have to wonder if result of the "idea" was intentional or simply more abject stupidity from the dimrats.


Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!



The Idaho Elk Hunter
 
Posts: 24210 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of LimaCharlie
posted Hide Post
My wife and I were in a wireless telephone company store last week getting new phones. A bum with a beat-up bicycle and trailer carrying all of his worldly possessions and a pit-bull dog was in the store ahead of us upgrading to his new Apple iPhone and unlimited data service.


U.S. Army, Retired
 
Posts: 3539 | Location: Northwest Oregon | Registered: June 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
OH HELL NO
Picture of GotDogs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
I wish that it was easy as those who choose not to be gainfully employed.

but I can't believe that , when it comes to the homeless.

Caring for the physically and mentally disabled is very costly , its a crying shame that American's choose to pour money in to caring for criminal's , instead of rehabing and caring for it's veterans and those that can not care for themselves.

we have the ability , it's just not a priority
Well said.


Very well said and I am in total agreement. I had a Brother who served in Viet nam who lived on the street. We took him in. His mental illness didnt help he couldn't be around people. It didn't make him a BUM he suffered ptsd before it had a name. He died on the street as the VA didn't have room. His problem was not alcohol it was mental illness. The word BUM is not I'm my vocabulary as I know nothing of the next man's issues.


______________________________
" Bad decisions make good stories "
 
Posts: 2254 | Location: Lancaster, PA. | Registered: February 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I was at a stoplight today and watched a shift change. One guy took over the corner, the other left. They were both wearing Air Jordans.
 
Posts: 6079 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GotDogs:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
I wish that it was easy as those who choose not to be gainfully employed.

but I can't believe that , when it comes to the homeless.

Caring for the physically and mentally disabled is very costly , its a crying shame that American's choose to pour money in to caring for criminal's , instead of rehabing and caring for it's veterans and those that can not care for themselves.

we have the ability , it's just not a priority
Well said.


Very well said and I am in total agreement. I had a Brother who served in Viet nam who lived on the street. We took him in. His mental illness didnt help he couldn't be around people. It didn't make him a BUM he suffered ptsd before it had a name. He died on the street as the VA didn't have room. His problem was not alcohol it was mental illness. The word BUM is not I'm my vocabulary as I know nothing of the next man's issues.


Yes. Your brother's mental illness and our society's reluctance to address the problem IS the problem. My post was a complaint about our inability to help these sick people who are flocking to the great cities of our country, essentially ruining them for the rest of us. Bendable's post is right on target, as usual. I apologize for calling your brother a bum.

The difference between bums and beggars:

In Pensacola, we have professional beggars. None appear to be in dire straits. In San Francisco and Los Angeles, I have observed hundreds of what was once derisively called "stumble bums". These bums are NOT like the beggars in Pensacola. Many of these west coast bums were obviously drugged to the point of passing out. I assume most were mentally ill, like the Hispanic man who was talking to his shadow as he walked. Do our other other great cities have the same problem? Chicago, Miami, NYC, etc.? Or is this mostly a west coast problem?


Near the ocean
 
Posts: 1884 | Location: Central Time Zone Florida | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
I was at a stoplight today and watched a shift change. One guy took over the corner, the other left. They were both wearing Air Jordans.


I live near the intersection of two major highways in central Florida and see this all the time.




The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State



NRA Life Member
 
Posts: 1354 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
Years ago there was a story that a major northern US city got caught putting the homeless on buses in the winter.
They were buying them tickets,giving them some cash and convincing them to go to Florida where it was warmer.




The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State



NRA Life Member
 
Posts: 1354 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Atlanta did that for the '96 Olympics.


____________________________

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.
 
Posts: 31090 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 71 TRUCK:
Years ago there was a story that a major northern US city got caught putting the homeless on buses in the winter.
They were buying them tickets,giving them some cash and convincing them to go to Florida where it was warmer.



Boston did that to NYC a couple decades ago. Put a bunch on Greyhound buses, until NYC threatened to fill an Amtrak train with them and ship it up north.




 
Posts: 5642 | Location: Metro West, MA | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Rampant in Jackson, but my most memorable sight was in Phoenix. At a multilane intersection near on/off ramp saw a lady on the center median of the cross street. She did the standard walk down the line of stopped cars to make sad faces. When the light turned green she walked briskly back to the head of line.

And hit the button also on the divider to trigger the crosswalk and stop traffic again. Eek

Saw the same woman pregnant, then not, then pregnant again days later. A miracle I say!



You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

 
Posts: 9256 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
My idea was always to round the bums up in my city, promise them free food and booze, put them on buses, and drive to New Jersey or some other godforsaken wasteland, drop them off, and then leave.
 
Posts: 2381 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AirmanJeff:
My idea was always to round the bums up in my city, promise them free food and booze, put them on buses, and drive to New Jersey or some other godforsaken wasteland, drop them off, and then leave.


If I was a rich man: I would give Bums a free tent and bus fare to Hollywood and the address of every leftist Celebrity there.


*********
"Never complain about getting old; it is a privilege denied to many." - Anonymous.
 
Posts: 6511 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Bums

© SIGforum 2019