SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Sellers who take photos that hide the keyhole
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sellers who take photos that hide the keyhole Login/Join 
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted
Sellers on various venues who artfully photograph their S&W revolvers to try to hide the internal lock keyhole strike me as less than forthright. Any time I see a S&W for sale, where the only photo of the left side isn’t straight-on, I suspect there’s a keyhole they’re hiding.

Whether a person dislikes the IL revolvers or not, the presence of the IL should be disclosed because it affects the market value of the revolver.

My opinion.

ETA:
Well crap. Meant to put this in the “pitch your bitch” section.

Posts: 26891 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Sellers on various venues who artfully photograph their S&W revolvers to try to hide the internal lock keyhole strike me as less than forthright. Any time I see a S&W for sale, where the only photo of the left side isn’t straight-on, I suspect there’s a keyhole they’re hiding.

Whether a person dislikes the IL revolvers or not, the presence of the IL should be disclosed because it affects the market value of the revolver.

My opinion.

Man, how about messaging them and ask ("Show me more views"), if you're interested in the guns? Why sitting around speculating and accusing?

Q

Posts: 26322 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I’ve done that many times. The point being that there is obviously an intentional effort made to hide a “feature” that many people dislike.

Posts: 26891 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
Hell, even the current company posing as s&w only shows them from the right side in their catalog and ads.

But its still easy to tell they are IL guns by the ugly frame lines near the hammer. Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Do you suppose that S&W knows how many sales they lose to that lock? I’d hazard to guess that for every one sold they lose at least three? I know their factory Reps at shot show are tired of answering questions about the lock...

Posts: 13804 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’ve done that many times. The point being that there is obviously an intentional effort made to hide a “feature” that many people dislike.

^^^ Agree. Attempted deception.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
If there isn’t a photo of the left side, I just assume it has a lock.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 18DAI:
Hell, even the current company posing as s&w only shows them from the right side in their catalog and ads.

But its still easy to tell they are IL guns by the ugly frame lines near the hammer. Regards 18DAI

Was their "grand bargain" legally binding? Why don't they just drop the damn thing? Most other parts of the Clinton Deal are in the dust-bin of history.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

My opinion.

ETA:
Well crap. Meant to put this in the “pitch your bitch” section.

Totally agree. I only buy pre-locks.

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: February 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
certified biohazard
posted Hide Post
curious what is the big deal about the lock??

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
Edmund Burke

Posts: 533 | Location: Florida | Registered: February 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
Isn’t the cylinder release in pre lock a different shape than a post lock?

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
yeah they did a taper on the cylinder release.

I think there are some with the tapered release with no lock but I just don't care for the tapered release. I like the old kind better

Posts: 15 | Registered: April 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
certified biohazard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by moose201:
quote:
Originally posted by mew:
curious what is the big deal about the lock??

Personal preference. Many prefer not to have an ignition switch on their firearm.

OK, I prefer no lock either but if it doesn't malfunction its just a hole that doesn't need to be there but in the ridiculously litigious world we live in I get it. S&W just bought into the corporate lawyer demands. Lots of other similar pistols out there like it.

Edmund Burke

Posts: 533 | Location: Florida | Registered: February 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
Saw a used 4" stainless S&W revo in the fun store the other day.
The counter guy asked if anything caught my eye and I said, 'yeah that Smith - but since it's laying on the left side, I'm sure it has a lock'.
He doesn't buy them either...

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3774 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mew:
OK, I prefer no lock either but if it doesn't malfunction its just a hole that doesn't need to be there but in the ridiculously litigious world we live in I get it.

The ILs HAVE failed n a number of revolvers. This is old news.

It was S&W caving in to the Clinton administration that brought us the lock, they totally pussied out. Had NOTHING to do with a "litigious world". I will NEVER buy an S&W revolver with an IL, I only buy used pre-lock ones.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16658 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
certified biohazard
posted Hide Post
interesting never knew that.....

Edmund Burke

Just an ACARS message
with feelings
Picture of qxsoup
posted Hide Post
For me...
NO PIN=NO BUY.

I refuse to buy any revolver put out by Smith post 1982. Same for Colt.

220/229/228/226/P6/225/XO/SP2022/239

Posts: 3062 | Location: The Queen City (the one in Ohio) | Registered: May 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep I just don’t buy the IL as a matter of point. I am surprised that after all these years that S&W still spends the extra time and money in manufacturing this feature. They do make some of the snub 38’s without it. Why continue?

And sellers that hide it, I hate wasting time asking about it.

Posts: 1752 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: August 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just move on when I see a Smith photographed without a view of the left side of the gun. They (no-locks) are just not rare enough nor valuable enough for me to spend time on if the Seller fails to show the area where the lock could/should/might be.

I suppose there might be an exception-say I was on the hunt for some late manufactured Smith, but it had to be a pre-lock where I'd take the time to email, etc., but I doubt it. Too many other nice guns out there.

Posts: 1570 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an easy solution. I move on unless they have a pinned barrel.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post