SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Having a conversation
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Having a conversation Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
I’m starting to recoil with disgust when I hear some know it all on TV blabbering about “reaching out to have a conversation about.....”

It seems like the inevitable purpose of having the conversation is to force you to yield to their policy preferences.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: JALLEN,

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I tend to tune out anyone using the phrase "reaching out". I guess the phrase having a conversation will be next. I would guess that most people using the "reaching out" phrase are too young to remember the phone company ads that implored people to reach out and touch someone.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
"Conversation" in TV-Speak is "Lecture"; it's also known as "Dialog", which also means "Lecture".

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4330 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I've had bosses like that. One was fond of saying "chat." Cut out the bullshit euphemisms and just say you're going to chew my ass out for something.

Posts: 27835 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
"conversation about" to a liberal means ban it and shut up

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lkdr1989:
..also known as "Dialog"...

Dialog, er, "dialoging" is the worst. It implies two or more people who have to agree with me whereas "conversation" can be euphemistic as in "I need to have a conversation with Junior about putting my watch in the blender".

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
I've had bosses like that. One was fond of saying "chat." Cut out the bullshit euphemisms and just say you're going to chew my ass out for something.

A director past used to call and say "Do you have a minute?"

It actually meant - "get the eff up here you moron." Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post