SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    $2K & $3K Glocks
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

$2K & $3K Glocks Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
My 4 Glocks are bone-stock except Glock night sights on the ones that came without them. They are carry and defense appliances - if used in defense and given up, or lost, or whatever, replace with like and move on. They are more or less "generic".

Now, I've customized every 1911 I've owned, did a trigger job on my CZ-75 to take the grit out of the SA creep, put a Volquartsen trigger in my Mark II, and built a 10/22 with Tactical Solutions and Volquartsen parts.

But Glocks are factory parts only.

Posts: 4701 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I held a $3K Glock yesterday. I could not believe how much money they wanted. Everything had been replaced or modified. Still would rather carry a Sig.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5050 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is it any different than a $2k or $3k Beretta 92F or a Sig 228 or a BHP or a Colt 1911, or any other normal production gun that someone has spent many times more than it's new cost modifying? Why single out the Glock?

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
quote:
Originally posted by OcCurt:
quote:
Originally posted by Kskelton:
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:
I've seen several of these high dollar glocks. Haven't seen a reliable one, though.

That's not a fair statement! I'm not a Glock fan at all, but I don't know if anyone can knock the reliability of them...

Glock has built in tolerances just like any other firearm. Most of the custom work out there changes those tolerances. One or two small changes-the 25 cent trigger job, for example-has little effect. The trigger job, titanium parts, after market barrels, slide lightening and so on, changes lots of tolerances (tolerance stacking) which will, and does, make the gun unreliable. This is true for any firearm, not just Glocks.

1911's are an excellent example of this.

Yep, this. Every Glock I've ever seen go down hard had loads of custom work done on it.

May not be fair, but it is what it is. That is my experience running classes.

Why mess with what works? My 400 dollar glocks seem to work just fine...

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Patriot_1776
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike S:
quote:
I am a glock fan. I own 59 of them.

That's a lot of Glocks, brother! Smile

I'm curious which ones you don't have? Smile ...and what's holding you back?

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1616 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: March 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Uh...before about 1985; before the U. S. Army decided to replace the long-serving 1911 pistol, 1911's in general were not seen in common usage, and most people who "knew guns" knew that a .357 Magnum revolver had it all over the .45 ACP for practical field use, and certainly a hot .44 Special or .44 Magnum was highly prized.

Then three major things happened.
The Army replaced the 1911 with the M9...
The introduction of high-capacity "wonder-nines" that could hold 2.5-3X more cartridges than a six-shot revolver swept the country like a wave...
The idiots in Congress decided to pass a magazine capacity limit of 10 rounds.

All of this served to breathe life into the venerable 1911 because it really is a very "ergonomic" pistol, but also, for a public now addicted to the autoloading concept, "If I can only have 10 shots, I want the biggest caliber!" became an overriding paradigm. Just looking at that big, fat, .45 ACP round imbues confidence, and since FEW have a clue as to the actual "power" difference between the 9mm and .45 ACP, "size" won!
For a time, only Colt was still making 1911's. then came the Chinese versions...and then all hell broke loose as one after another "custom" maker jumped into the money-machine of the re-birthed 1911...which we are still living in today. People think a 1911 "pattern" pistol that DOESN'T cost $1,000 is shoddy and unreliable, and there are plenty of discussions on forums everywhere about how one simply cannot appreciate a custom 1911 costing $3K or more until they "experience it!" All hogwash "marketeering" of course, but hey, as P.T. Barnum once stated; "There is a sucker born every minute!" The basic "truth" of the 1911 is that if a $370 iteration comes out of the box functioning reliably and delivering acceptable accuracy, as far as it's REAL purpose goes, it's every bit the equal of the gun costing 10x more.

Now enter Glock...Glock, the company that redefined what "reliable" means....introducing a pistol that comes direct from the box with a zero-fail rate in competent hands. They were also inexpensive, since, based on marketing fundementals, one gains a foothold by introducing a new product at the entry level. Now, the Glock has risen to its own cult-status with as many if not more aftermarket parts options than 1911 "pattern" pistols. It's only natural that custom builders will seek to profit from the demand for fancy, pattern-milled slides, stipling, trigger systems, etc., and by now there are just as many who believe a custom Glock is worth every penny, as there are overpriced 1911 "pattern" consumers.

Those who have bought into the notion of carrying a 39 ounce, all-steel, 8 shot, SA 1911 with all sorts of cosmetic enhancements will not be dissuaded by facts nor reality, so no one should be overly surprised that the same mentality exists among those who embrace the much more modern, more reliable, 13-18 shot SA Glock system weighing in between 20 and 30 ounces tops.

For those who simply cannot stop equating plastic with "cheap"...keep that in mind when you go down to purchase your next overpriced BMW or Mercedes, or Lexus, or that $60K Silverado that is FESTOONED with plastics from bottome to top! Then ask yourself why you're paying twice as much for it as you would for a Toyota which actually has higher reliability numbers.

Posts: 30 | Registered: July 24, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
I need to see the pics also!!!

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
I just built my own for much less

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hold Fast
Picture of Butch 2340
posted Hide Post

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .

Posts: 7632 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: May 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
I recognize that I am somewhat of a troglodyte. My Glocks, 1911s, 3rd gen S&Ws, and all my revolvers are stock. A couple of my Sigs had their NS replaced with trijicons. A few recoil springs have been replaced.
Guess what!! ALL MY GUNS WORK RELIABLY!!

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Kskelton:
quote:
I've seen several of these high dollar glocks. Haven't seen a reliable one, though.

That's not a fair statement! I'm not a Glock fan at all, but I don't know if anyone can knock the reliability of them...

I am a glock fan. I own 59 of them. When people start cutting away metal and changing springs randomly, they quit being reliable.

I'm afraid to ask how many Rugers you have since you have that in your name.

Posts: 7349 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post