SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Plumbing... yay
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Plumbing... yay Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted
So this morning the love of my life and I are doing the morning routine in the kitchen and "What the frack?!?! Where'd the water come from?" She looks. "I've no idea." Neither do I. Wipe it up. Put on a pair of dry socks. Carry on.

Later, having finished breakfast bar & OJ, getting ready for that first cup of coffee... "Honey, there's water coming out of the kitchen cabinet!" "Say what?"

So there's a bunch of water on the bottom of the kitchen cabinet under the sink. Wonderful. Just what I wanted to do today. So much for my plans. She clears all the stuff out and dries it up. I look. Nothing obvious. Run water into each sink, hot, cold and indifferent. Nothing. Plug the left sink, put a couple inches in. Look. Nothing. Repeat on other side. Nothing. Back to the left sink, which is used most. Put about 5-6" of water in. Wait twenty minutes. Nope. Pull plug. Nope. Dishwasher drain? Looks solid, but... Run a rinse cycle and drain it. Nada.

*sigh*...

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our kitchen sink sprayer leaks under the cabinet when it's used. Everything else is fine. My fix was to place a glass dish inside the cabinet to catch the drips whenever we use it! No plumbing skills required.

Posts: 1169 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Yeah. Went thru much the same. Dishwasher leaking from the heating coil gasket only when it ran. Took me forever to find it.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tsmccull:
Our kitchen sink sprayer leaks...

Ours leaked and did a lot of floor damage before we found out. There doesn't seem to be a true quality kitchen sprayer on the market.

Disposals can vibrate enough to loosen connections under it. Check them regularly.

Whatever the case, working under kitchen sinks and bathroom lavs sucks.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:

Amen!

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Plumbing of all sorts is my least favorite work to do around the house. Anything else is fine but I despise plumbing.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:

Especially when the cabinet facing frame has a center stile in it. Mad

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Almost all bathroom vanities are particle board. inside. A slow drip from a faucet in the bathroom can ruin the vanity before you realize there's any damage.

I keep thinking it would be good to add a waterproof pan or liner under each sink with a lip around all but the front edges. That should hold the water for a while and drip out the front before it causes actual damage.

Posts: 2358 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I keep thinking it would be good to add a waterproof pan or liner under each sink with a lip around all but the front edges. That should hold the water for a while and drip out the front before it causes actual damage.

Good idea. As a homeowner I would like to see more of this stuff in homes. My elevated water heater now has a pan beneath it and a drain installed in case of overflow.

Posts: 17176 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old, Slow,
but Lucky!
Picture of dsmack
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
Especially when the cabinet facing frame has a center stile in it. Mad 

A giant AMEN to that!!! Frown

I literally "Feel your PAIN"!

Don

Posts: 3418 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: March 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bryan11:
I keep thinking it would be good to add a waterproof pan or liner under each sink with a lip around all but the front edges.

Submit your idea to WeatherTech Smile

quote:
That should hold the water for a while and drip out the front before it causes actual damage.

In fact my wife had lined the bottom of ours with some-or-another plastic, trimmed to fit, and that's just what happened.

After she wiped-up most of the water, when she removed the plastic most of the rest came with it. When I went to check out what was going on, the wood underneath was dry and undamaged.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMI]
Good idea. As a homeowner I would like to see more of this stuff in homes. My elevated water heater now has a pan beneath it and a drain installed in case of overflow.

When mine died two years ago the new codes required a pan and drain.
Funny. We had the vent drain going into the wall and nobody could find where it went. Never did find it so we fixed that too

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
I keep thinking it would be good to add a waterproof pan or liner under each sink with a lip around all but the front edges.

Submit your idea to WeatherTech Smile

quote:
That should hold the water for a while and drip out the front before it causes actual damage.

In fact my wife had lined the bottom of ours with some-or-another plastic, trimmed to fit, and that's just what happened.

After she wiped-up most of the water, when she removed the plastic most of the rest came with it. When I went to check out what was going on, the wood underneath was dry and undamaged.

Lets not forget to add a water alarm so you know there is a leak prior to the matt overflowing.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6474 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post