SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    My gym just hung a no firearms allowed sign
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My gym just hung a no firearms allowed sign Login/Join 
I got a Million of 'em!
posted
Apparently one, possibly both participants, cleared leather in a fight over a piece of equipment. I was a little unclear on that point.

I had a pleasant conversation with management over my displeasure with the sign and he was frank and understood my concerns but he said he was told by the police that they couldn’t arrest either party because they didn’t have a sign present. This is Georgia and the signs don’t carry weight but something doesn’t pass the smell test here. Surely there’s a brandishing charge available or something along those lines?

I never carried there but had just bought an LCP II and was going to maybe start. I know there are a few members here who do carry at the gym. What do you say?

Posts: 8145 | Location: Hiram, GA. | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
Next------how to carry while sweaty in yoga pants..................

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4570 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
As you said, signs carry no weight in GA. Conceal it and carry on

Posts: 5317 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No place to go and
all day to get there
Picture of JWF
posted Hide Post
If members are pulling guns over a piece of gym equipment, I would be looking for a new gym.

Just another day in paradise.

NRA
Georgia Carry

Posts: 1323 | Location: NW GA | Registered: September 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JWF:
If members are pulling guns over a piece of gym equipment, I would be looking for a new gym.

This ^^^^^

One of the owners of my gym once said to me "This is definitely not a gun-free zone"

We share photos and videos of our latest acquisitions and range trips.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I'd find a new gym, but not because of the sign. I wouldn't work out in a place where people point guns at each other over a piece of equipment.

I don't fault the owner for hanging signs. His business, his rules. Obviously, a couple of members made it an issue that's bad for business.

Posts: 10899 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I no longer am able to work out at a gym, but, in the past, I did so quite regularly.

I never saw a gym where the other patrons argued or squabbled over gym equipment, let alone pulling out a firearm.

People who do that are nuttier than a fruitcake (I think that's the correct medical term) and I would be sooooo gone from that place sooooo fast.

Bob

Posts: 1570 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
The gym manager should have revoked the two individuals membership for the good of the other members sign or no sign. Just bad behavior all the way around.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gibby29:
What do you say?

CONCEALED Carry.

Important part in ALL CAPS.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
The gym manager should have revoked the two individuals membership for the good of the other members sign or no sign. Just bad behavior all the way around.

This, plus the cops actions are wrong if the story as told is accurate.
If the guys were fighting to the degree where one felt threatened or was stupid enough to do this, one or both should have gone to jail. If the guy was justifiably threatened to the degree where a gun was legal, the other guy would have committed a crime.
Does this gym have cameras in that area?
I would find another gym if either of these two are still members.

Posts: 9491 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
Does it really matter if there's a sign? Even without a sign, why would you be working out with a gun on your person?

Posts: 3374 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paten:
Does it really matter if there's a sign? Even without a sign, why would you be working out with a gun on your person?

You just never know when you'll have to defend yourself over a piece of gym equipment.

Posts: 10899 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:

You just never know when you'll have to defend yourself over a piece of gym equipment.

Haha so true! But I’m all seriousness why does a sign matter if people are pointing guns at each other? I could see if mattering if you are just trying to press trespassing charges, but seems a little more serious than that.

Posts: 1301 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:

Gym equipment castle doctrine laws Wink Especially on Mondays on the benchpress (my old trainer called Mondays "bro days" because nearly everybody wants to benchpress).

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23192 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
No firearms? That’s funny. My gym is like an armory. We even have show & tell nights.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:

Some people take chest day pretty seriously. Big Grin

Posts: 13085 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
quote:

I’m going to take a guess and say they weren’t fighting over a leg machine Big Grin

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Smartcarry or a fanny pack.

Posts: 9952 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Apparently HCA, Hospital Corp of America has decided, that all their doctors' office buildings require these signs. I feel a lot safer now when I visit my doctor.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Did the gym throw to two members out?

No matter what the police said they could do I would hope the gym revoked their membership.

I have never seen any real arguments at any gym. You will find a-holes that sit on equipment, leave a bag or something else to claim a bench even when using other machines but never anyone get into it over that.

I've found people at the gym to usually be very polite.

Sounds like these two have some issues. I hope the gym got rid of them.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16387 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post