SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    My gym just hung a no firearms allowed sign
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My gym just hung a no firearms allowed sign Login/Join 
I got a Million of 'em!
posted Hide Post
I’m sure the gym revoked their membership. The new policy states that if they catch you with a firearm, they will revoke your membership.

Luckily, it’s a chain door and I can go to any location. I happen to be almost exactly in between two locations. The one I was going to seemed to be easier to get to because of less turns but I think I’ll go to the other location tomorrow.

Posts: 8145 | Location: Hiram, GA. | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gibby29:
I’m sure the gym revoked their membership. The new policy states that if they catch you with a firearm, they will revoke your membership.

Luckily, it’s a chain door and I can go to any location. I happen to be almost exactly in between two locations. The one I was going to seemed to be easier to get to because of less turns but I think I’ll go to the other location tomorrow.

If it's a chain I wonder what corporate thinks of them putting up a sign.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
If it bugs you enough, I'd argue that their having changed the rules might justify you cancelling your membership and getting a pro-rata refund for the remaining time.

That said, I agree with the prior posters that if the clientele are not only carrying while exercising (?) but drawing on one another (!?!?) then whether or not the rules-change bothered me, that alone would justify finding another exercise emporium.

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
My initial thought was if I'm carrying and someone pulls a gun on me.... one of us is going to get 'ventilated'.... I personally don't believe in waving a gun around to make a point...

My father told me years ago... you only draw gun on a dead man...... figure it out.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
Had the same thing happen at my gym a few years ago. Some A-hole was open carrying while doing his workout. Why? Who knows? When some of the members, some LEO's, questioned him he said he was exercising his 2nd amendment rights. But so many members called to complain that the sign was posted. Since it's private property they can do whatever they want.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1856 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paten:
Does it really matter if there's a sign? Even without a sign, why would you be working out with a gun on your person?

Why do people post things questioning "Why would you....." when it comes to carrying a gun. It's almost like they haven't been paying attention in the last 10 years. I ALWAYS have a gun within arms reach at the gym. A gun, and a reload.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paten:
Does it really matter if there's a sign? Even without a sign, why would you be working out with a gun on your person?
Does a gym or working out magically protect you from evil???

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have my own gym equipment but had to temporarily use Planet Fitness (PF), between residences. I decided to produce a YT video, because I detected an opportunity to inform others. I'm a huge advocate of anyone who wishes to improve their fitness level. Although PF has qualified trainers, it seems there may be a stigma associated with asking for guidance. The trainer I availed my self of was informed and competent...but very young.

I'm guessing that the "combatants" weren't fitness/gym/human decency aware.

In over 25 years of patronage of public gyms, I've never seen firearms openly displayed or brandished. I usually carry in my gym bag, that never leaves my side.

Posts: 195 | Location: Smithfield, Utah | Registered: April 29, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've carried at the gym but will typically leave the pistol in my car. Because I go to the gym to work out and the start of my work out is 30 to 60 minutes of Cardio and I go at Cardio with Gusto. Anytime I get off an Elliptical Trainer I leave a puddle of sweat under the footpads on the machine.

Then when I'm working the weight machines I'll add a bit more to the sweat load. BTW, I weighed in at 150.7 yesterday so I'm not sweating because I'm fat, I'm sweating because I work damned hard at the gym.

Do you folks know what a handgun looks like after a good workout? It aint pretty, in fact it's a salty sweaty mess. Thus the reason why I don't carry in the gym. In addition handguns on the person are inconvenient when doing cardio and can be uncomfortable on some types of weight machines.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5621 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
When going to 24-Hour Fitness, I take a small gym bag in which I keep my elastic bands, gloves, water bottle, wallet, keys, etc. I don't ever see the need why I would need to carry when at the gym (VERY low-crime area), but if I HAD to consider it, I guess I could just put my carry weapon and a couple of spare mags in my gym bag and keep it zipped. And without reading the "agreement", I'm gonna say 24-Hour Fitness probably prohibits weapons on their property via that document. I'll have to look...

You guys working out in "the jungle" or something?? Eek Wink

ETA:
As expected, under "Prohibited Items and Activities" in their membership agreement, 24-Hour states...

No Weapons: No weapons of any kind are permitted in 24 Hour facilities.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11052 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:

No Weapons: No weapons of any kind are permitted in 24 Hour facilities.
That shows a distinct and silly lack of imagination on their part since every gym I've been to is just loaded with "weapons".

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Otto Pilot,

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Have a friend who is an eastern State Trooper. He did a stint in the Internal Affairs Division at their HQ. He told me 95% of his job was investigating stolen weapons, from gym lockers, or the Troopers cars, parked in the gym parking lots.

Seems the bad guys have figured out these are fertile areas to acquire weapons.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I used to carry on body while working out. I did it for years and got real tired of it. It’s in my gym bag and it stays with me at all times. It’s either that, or put it into the locker which could get stolen. Or leave it in the truck where it could get stolen. So I’ll take chances with it in my gym bag. At least it is right next to me. I don’t go anywhere unarmed, not in this environment

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
^^^ only problem is I'm a swimmer when I'm at the gym.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10860 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
I guess they are just going to have to think you are really "packin'". LOL. Sorry. Bad joke, and I simply couldn't resist.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:

I swim too on the weekends. No choice in that situation. Either take the risk of having your gym bag on the wall or lock it up in your vehicle.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why do people post things questioning "Why would you....." when it comes to carrying a gun. It's almost like they haven't been paying attention in the last 10 years. I ALWAYS have a gun within arms reach at the gym. A gun, and a reload.

Exactly! My firearm is concealed in a fanny pack. In there, I keep my glucose tablets, wife's inhaler, and other stuff like keys and music devices. No one, except my wife, knows I'm carrying. If the SHTF, she's instructed to go to the nearest EXIT and get out. I'll deal with what I need to do!

Being in the "security" field, I couldn't deal with myself if I just bugged out while there was an active shooter.

Posts: 3396 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post