Null Login/Join 
Picture of dwd1985
posted
Null

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dwd1985,

Posts: 4454 | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
You need to get a girl Friday to do your running around for you while you are working.

Sorry about the cash.

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Frustrating. Aggravating. Sorry to hear that you are out that money.

It is possible that the seller is telling the truth, but still, you are out the money.

At this point, you sure don't want to hear "you should have," or "why didn't you," but I have always paid for things with personal check or online Bill Pay. I tell the seller that it is not necessary to ship until s/he is satisfied that payment has cleared.

I have only had one seller refuse that type payment and insist on a USPS money order. Ironically, it was a seller here on SIGforum. I told him "no sale." I am NOT going to take my time to drive to the Post Office, stand on line, pay a fee for a money order, and then deal with USPS in the event of non-delivery.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30658 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
I know this seems as though I’m kicking a man when he’s down, but if you were set on sending cash you should have used Certified Mail, Signature Required at the least.

Posts: 12179 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by clubleaf206:
I know this seems as though I’m kicking a man when he’s down, but if you were set on sending cash you should have used Certified Mail, Signature Required at the least.
That would have required a trip to the Post Office.

If he had done that, he could have sent a money order.

The reason he sent cash was that "Because of my work hours, it is nearly impossible for me to make it to the post office when theyre open."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30658 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was wondering what a security envelope was? Like a Birthday card reeking of $?

For $120 you might consider contacting the Postmaster his local Post Office. Can't hurt, it might be random noise but it might also be a clue.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13399 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

The reason he sent cash was that "Because of my work hours, it is nearly impossible for me to make it to the post office when theyre open."

He said nearly impossible, not impossible. At any rate, if there is a next time he might look into certifiedmaillabels.com it's an online service where certified mail labels can be printed off. I didn't read up on all the details but it appears to be free to sign up and there is no monthly fee.

Posts: 12179 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
"The Best Experience is Bought Experience."...my Dad

Posts: 1553 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
I have done everything, buying and selling, on this forum and others, with USPS money orders exclusively.

100% success and happiness.

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am a very, very stupid person.

Send cash once, shame on you. Send cash twice, shame on me.

Q

Posts: 26371 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
Depending on the size of the town, I'd probably try and reach out to the local post office. The person may have other complaints. I know it sucks, but at least you're only out $120. It could be worse.

With the exception of a gun I really, really want, if someone won't take a check or PayPal, I pass on the sale. It's also a major inconvenience for me to make it to a post office when they're open. There are a couple of stores that offer certain official USPS services, but the money orders they sell are Western Union. I did have one seller refuse to accept a Western Union money order for a $50 sale since he was worried it could be counterfeit, so I passed on that. I have sent cash and received cash (small amounts) when dealing with Sig Forum members though.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I actually had a feeling that it wasn't the seller. If they were going to steal your money, they wouldn't have responded to you at all...

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I'm glad things turned out well enough. And the seller appears to be very much on the up and up with integrity and all.

I'm happy for you.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19656 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
dwd1985, glad it worked out.

I have been told by several folks I know in the USPS that there is an "awareness" of occasions when cash is sent through the mail. Christmas, Chinese New Year, (Red envelopes), after tax checks go out, high school graduation time frame, etc.
Any card-sized envelope is pretty obvious vs a regular envelope. (There is always the potential for cash in a card envelope). Recipients aren't usually expecting to receive that money so any type of lost mail report is less likely to be generated.

If loose cash is in an envelope they say it is immediately obvious and very inviting to less-than-honest employees of the system.
Based on what he told me, anytime I do send cash I place the bills between two pieces of thin cardboard or wrap the bills in aluminum foil to disguise the shape. You do not want to send a thin white envelope where someone can hold it up to the light and see the shadow of currency bills.

Other recommendation he made was to use a small box to send cash. Boxes are less likely to get "lost" than envelopes. Also, I heard a pretty clever idea from a person working in the US to get cash back to his family.
He takes a shirt or pair of pants and puts the money in a pocket, then ships the clothing in one of those thin, tough plastic-woven envelopes. Very light- so you're not paying a lot for shipping but it throws off the scent, as it were.

I just had to send some cash to a not-on-the-web no paypal type and just used a priority envelope, although it cost more than a stamp. It also gave tracking. I try to avoid sending cash through the mail whenever possible.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post