SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Paying cash with a $100 dollar bill
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Paying cash with a $100 dollar bill Login/Join 
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I’ve had two two different coworkers fired in the last two years for accepting conterfeit $100 bills less than an hour’s drive from you. I’ve flatly refused to accept them from some customers who gave me the wrong vibe. My job isn’t worth your ego, sorry. Change your bills at a bank or some place with a bill scanner if you can’t hang. There, flip side of the coin. Smile

Posts: 17059 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As someone who runs a small business where 90 percent of my customers use plastic a person with a 100 dollar bill can ruin my

day real fast because they eat up all my change in 1 transaction. From working in banking know what to look for on a newer bill

fake cash isn't so much a problem.

I can never understand why a person would use large bills for small transactions.

Way back when I did the cash only thing I would only use large bills when my bill was also large. And only carried them on my

person to pay directly right away.

For me now it's easier to use the credit card and pay it off every month. I can keep track of my spending, get protection on

the sale/service and the cash back/points rewards for free stuff. Right now I have enough actual cash back that I can go on 3

overseas vacations that I earned by using the same money I had to spend anyways but instead used the card.

My cards have not made one nickel of interests or fees off me, instead they have paid me money to use their card.

Posts: 965 | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dfens:
I can never understand why a person would use large bills for small transactions.

I do that from time to time to break up the large bill. I'll check with the vendor to see if they can accept the bill, and if they're able, then I'll make a purchase; the purchase is their compensation for their assistance in breaking the bill, because the only point of the purchase it to break up the bill. If the vendor can't or won't, no problem.

I may have nothing but big bills from another transaction; maybe I got paid in 100's and 50's. I need something smaller. Maybe I'm doing tips and I need some smaller change for that; it doesn't matter why, but it's money, and it's exchanged for another denomination. When this occurs, I'm usually not near a bank, otherwise I'd take care of it at a bank.

That's why.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Probably why there are "no bills larger that 20" signs.

Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
I don't agree with the sentiment voiced about large bills. I'm one of the dinosaurs who prefers to pay cash. I even save for some purchases (not paying on credit.) Yesterday, in fact, we went to Home Despot to buy a new drill. I took $200 for the purchase. But now the machines accept $100 bills! And the total came to $200.32. My wife had the change. I wanted them to open a standard cash register, but the little girlie said the machine now accepts the big ones. Big Grin

The bill says good for all debts, public and private. If I tender the requisite amount, they need to accept it. Or not complain I've not paid.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
Want to have fun with the younger, fast-food type of clerk? Ask them if they accept Federal Reserve Notes.

Sometimes you'll get a blank stare, and maybe a "Let me check with my manager" reply. LOL!

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:...If I tender the requisite amount, they need to accept it. ...

Show me the federal law, or Constitutional amendment that supports this. (some states may require, by law, cash be accepted when tendered).

But if you demand it be taken, you might become a SIGforum (screaming) MeMe™.

Big Grin

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Hookers love them.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spinnin' Chain
Picture of Expat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
Many years ago a navy base down the Atlantic coast paid off the navy troop with $2 bills. Commander did it to show the locals just how much money went into the city from the service members on the base. Shut the bitchers up, pronto.

I seem to recall that the base commander did that at Ft. Carson, not long after we transferred away. The city fathers were bitching about those "service members", and the police were harassing the drivers whose cars had post tags. The $2 thing changed their attitude!!!

That is a GREAT story! Love it.

Posts: 3238 | Location: Oregun | Registered: August 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:
Pretty common scam. Use a $100 for a small priced item and pocket the change. Counterfeiting is almost a thing of the past. Its very common now for people to purchase motion picture or movie money. Which is pretty much identical to real money but has for motion picture use printed on the front. If you did not look at each bill separately you could easily be confused.

I actually have more of a complaint when people pay with cash. Usually takes much longer than a card transactions. Especially when those pesky customers give them and extra nickel to get a quarterback.

Theres no way a credit/debit transaction should take less time than a cash transaction. The delay/issue is the cashier who lacks the basic mathematical sense to make change - even though the register tells them exactly how much change to give back.

I agree, and pay cash for most things. if the cashier has half a brain, it's faster than a credit card. OHHHHH, and cash always works too unlike some credit card machines that freeze, cards that won't swipe, etc. etc.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We use a lot of cash. When I go to my local grocery store they hold the $50 or $100 up to the light, look for the security strip - then douse it with Purel to see if the ink smears. Makes me feel like a bit of a villian.

Who thought actually paying for a purchase would make me feel like that?

Posts: 365 | Location: Northern CA | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
I recently purchased a new John Deere lawn tractor from my local Lowe’s and paid with $100 dollar bills. The only comment was “Wow, I’ve never seen that much cash before!”

The guy didn’t even bother checking all of those bills... just took them with a look of awe on his face... and a chuckle from me.

Bill R.
North Alabama

Posts: 4551 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CA DuckHunter:
We use a lot of cash. When I go to my local grocery store they hold the $50 or $100 up to the light, look for the security strip - then douse it with Purel to see if the ink smears. Makes me feel like a bit of a villian.

Who thought actually paying for a purchase would make me feel like that?

They're using the light to see if it's counterfeit. No problem with that.

But they're dousing it with Purell because if you look at the post about 2 above yours... Well, hookers DO love them. Wink
Strippers too..

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8322 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
Actually our cash says on it "This note is legal tender for all DEBTS, public and private". So no one HAS to accept it unless you are paying a debt, in which case they do.

But if I'm paying for 15-25 gallons of gas at about $3.00/gallon or more, they damn well better take it.

Posts: 1498 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nuclear:

But if I'm paying for 15-25 gallons of gas at about $3.00/gallon or more, they damn well better take it.
I take it that you don't buy your gas at Costco.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Or in my case, I fill up my four 20 liter gas cans at the CountryMark station because that’s the only place in town where I can get pure gas without alcohol for my lawn equipment. And that stuff’s almost always a bit over $3 a gallon. You could probably get avgas instead, but I suspect that might be even higher.

Posts: 1169 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
We do not accept $100 bills from anyone we do not know in my store. We’ve been burned too many times.

We did check every bill with a pen but the counterfeiters have improved their product to the point where it is next to impossible to tell.

Posts: 12915 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tsmccull:

Or in my case, I fill up my four 20 liter gas cans at the CountryMark station because that’s the only place in town where I can get pure gas without alcohol for my lawn equipment. And that stuff’s almost always a bit over $3 a gallon. You could probably get avgas instead, but I suspect that might be even higher.
100LL (100 Octane, Low Lead) AvGas is currently $3.83 / gallon at Our Little Airport. Cheapest in the area, to the best of my knowledge.

Hundred dollar bills are not accepted. It is self-service, credit / debit cards only.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you get pissed when the condom dispenser in the rest stop bathroom doesn't take your Benjamins???