SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Paying cash with a $100 dollar bill
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Paying cash with a $100 dollar bill Login/Join 
Picture of GTO
posted
So I'm at the Home Depot and pay with a $100. The cashier pauses and is giving my bill the stare down. He said they took a bad bill last week. Not my problem. I guess I'm the only one that prefers to pay with cash. "This Note Is Legal Tender For All Debts, Public And Private"

Posts: 242 | Location: Gig Harbor WA | Registered: March 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
I don't get the bitch.

They took a counterfeit bill last week, so the cashiers have been told to pay extra attention to large bills. I would assume they probably use pens on anything larger than a $20 anyway.

Did he refuse to take it or something? What's your complaint??

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GTO:
"This Note Is Legal Tender For All Debts, Public And Private"
Pretty sure counterfeits say that too. Wink

And also, that phrase doesn't mean they HAVE to take it, it just means it CAN be used for all debt public and private if both parties agree. Try and use cash for a hotel these days.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GTO
posted Hide Post
I get it. Complaint is how about a way of telling if the bill is good or bad. Put bill in box, green light good, red light bad. Yes, the purchase was made. Paying with $1 Bill's might have been faster

Posts: 242 | Location: Gig Harbor WA | Registered: March 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pretty common scam. Use a $100 for a small priced item and pocket the change. Counterfeiting is almost a thing of the past. Its very common now for people to purchase motion picture or movie money. Which is pretty much identical to real money but has for motion picture use printed on the front. If you did not look at each bill separately you could easily be confused.

I actually have more of a complaint when people pay with cash. Usually takes much longer than a card transactions. Especially when those pesky customers give them and extra nickel to get a quarterback.

Posts: 5406 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
For a couple of decades now every $100 I pay with gets an extra look...

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3458 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
$100 bills have changed several times over the years. Way back in the dark ages, when I worked retail, a $100 had the same color and size as a $20, a $5 and a $1. They still have the same size, but now they've added a bunch of features that make counterfeiting them more difficult.

All versions are still legal. That can make it hard to determine if it's good or not.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:
Usually takes much longer than a card transactions.

I have seen this complaint many times, but I must live in a different universe than the complainers. I pay for most in-store purchases with cash, and my transactions go faster than 90% of CC transactions. And when they don’t, it’s because of the cashier, not me.

But then I know where my money is, I know how much is being charged, and I can pull out what I need without acting as if having to pay for something was totally unexpected—as it is with many other customers, including those who pay by card.

As for those stupid pens:
“Here is the thing, counterfeit pens will not detect any fake bills other than some amateur counterfeits printed with a basic laser printer on regular paper, so beware. While counterfeit pens might seem like an affordable counterfeit detection option, the amount of loss you'll incur will easily offset what you would've saved had you used a reliable counterfeit detector. So we'll give you the rundown on counterfeit pens and why they might not be the best option for you.” (Link.)

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I pay for some items with $2 bills (genuine). About half the time the cashier either asks if it’s real or if I want it back (as though it’s some sort of collectible). Some of the best ones are when they have to call a manager over to see if it’s ok to accept it! Being retired, the time wasting aspects don’t bother me.

Posts: 1169 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PR64:
For a couple of decades now every $100 I pay with gets an extra look...

I have paid with $100 bills several times over the last few weeks. Never had a problem or a delay.

And it certainly easier than using a credit card at wallyworld! One of them down on the northern neck of VA simply cannot process a credit card order. Thought that might be the only one. Until today! Now the ones here in Manassas won't take my card. And there is nothing wrong with the card as I had just used it to gas up my car.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tsmccull:
I pay for some items with $2 bills (genuine). About half the time the cashier either asks if it’s real or if I want it back (as though it’s some sort of collectible). Some of the best ones are when they have to call a manager over to see if it’s ok to accept it! Being retired, the time wasting aspects don’t bother me.

Many years ago a navy base down the Atlantic coast paid off the navy troop with $2 bills. Commander did it to show the locals just how much money went into the city from the service members on the base. Shut the bitchers up, pronto.

I seem to recall that the base commander did that at Ft. Carson, not long after we transferred away. The city fathers were bitching about those "service members", and the police were harassing the drivers whose cars had post tags. The $2 thing changed their attitude!!!

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was at the Finance office while TDY in Dhahran, Saudi Arabia years ago (1986). I don't remember why now, but was paying up with $100.00 bill(s). Its possible I was getting them exchanged for smaller bills.

There was an AFOSI agent in line behind me & HE stopped the transaction and paid extra-close attention to the bills due to counterfeiting issues.

<><
America, Land of the Free - because of the Brave

Posts: 1925 | Location: Goodbye, so. Fla. | Registered: January 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
I actually have more of a complaint when people pay with cash. Usually takes much longer than a card transactions. Especially when those pesky customers give them and extra nickel to get a quarterback.

Count me as one of those pesky customers you complain about. I pay with cash all of the time, and proud of it.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Usually takes much longer than a card transactions.

I have seen this complaint many times, but I must live in a different universe than the complainers. I pay for most in-store purchases with cash, and my transactions go faster than 90% of CC transactions. And when they don’t, it’s because of the cashier, not me.

Worse yet; the chip readers. Why can a cashier still swipe the card, and have it out of my wallet for a grand total of 10 seconds, but I must use the chip in the reader which forces me to stare at the machine for 5... 10... 15... no, keep it in there, 20 seconds... ok, NOW take it out.

Thankfully (or maybe this is a bad thing?) my main card switched over to tap pay capable and a lot of the chip machines can also take tap pay, that seems to be quick again. Well, as long as I'm tapping in the right spot, I'll usually give it a tappy-tap, and then go to the chip if it didn't take it.

I don't understand how the same card machine can process a tap payment in a few seconds, but the chip takes 2-3 times as long.

Posts: 6029 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I almost always pay with cash also if the purchase is under $200 or so. I also have a little fun from time to time with $2 bills. If there is no line so I won't hold anyone up, I'll pay with a $2 bill from time to time and watch the fun. When I assure them it's real money, I have had cashiers call the manager over, ask other cashiers, ask me if I'm sure I want to pay with a collectible (it's not). I don't do it that often.

Posts: 1042 | Location: New Jersey  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here in the Yoop. its 20 dollar bills that are counterfeit. I guess our economy just wont support bigger bills!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
I don't get the bitch.

They took a counterfeit bill last week, so the cashiers have been told to pay extra attention to large bills. I would assume they probably use pens on anything larger than a $20 anyway.

Did he refuse to take it or something? What's your complaint??

-Rob

Fake outrage.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I only accept 100 dollar bills from the bank in the new style. They are as close to counterfeit proof as we have got. Unfortunately the 50's are not redone yet (as far as I know). I bought a pizza the other day and they refused the 50. Kind of annoyed me. I am a cash guy as well. If I am in your store buying 30 dollars of pizza, it seems using a 50 is quite reasonable. Guess not.

Fake outrage I suppose. lol

Posts: 7347 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
quote:

Many years ago a navy base down the Atlantic coast paid off the navy troop with $2 bills. Commander did it to show the locals just how much money went into the city from the service members on the base. Shut the bitchers up, pronto.

I seem to recall that the base commander did that at Ft. Carson, not long after we transferred away. The city fathers were bitching about those "service members", and the police were harassing the drivers whose cars had post tags. The $2 thing changed their attitude!!!

That is awesome. Very visual way for the community to see how much money that base brought into town.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Pretty common scam. Use a $100 for a small priced item and pocket the change. Counterfeiting is almost a thing of the past. Its very common now for people to purchase motion picture or movie money. Which is pretty much identical to real money but has for motion picture use printed on the front. If you did not look at each bill separately you could easily be confused.

Theres no way a credit/debit transaction should take less time than a cash transaction. The delay/issue is the cashier who lacks the basic mathematical sense to make change - even though the register tells them exactly how much change to give back.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post