SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Paying cash with a $100 dollar bill
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Paying cash with a $100 dollar bill Login/Join 
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
We did check every bill with a pen

The pens are practically useless. They are only detecting one of the features that also happens to be one of the easiest to fake.

You have to inspect the bill for its real security features.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15695 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife is a Manager at a Lowe's store .She is in charge of the cash office , and counterfeit money IS still alive and well . Both 20's and hundred's .

Posts: 3970 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Even the new style 100’s? There sure a lot of security features on those.

Posts: 7347 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
I must live in a backward and poor region. I've had store clerks use a pen on $10 bills. Frown

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
I must live in a backward and poor region. I've had store clerks use a pen on $10 bills. Frown

Short wheel base $100, better safe than sorry. Smile

Posts: 6289 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The meth heads in our small WV town try that shit at least once a month. Damn stupid ass trash.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
Even the new style 100’s? There sure a lot of security features on those.

Since all $100 bills are legal tender, why would criminals counterfeit the newest ones?

Posts: 10823 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
My wife is a Manager at a Lowe's store .She is in charge of the cash office , and counterfeit money IS still alive and well . Both 20's and hundred's .

We've seen an uptick in counterfeit bills around here lately. They're mostly really obvious fakes, though.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Businesses will do what they believe they need to do, and I suppose it really is too much to expect that the average cashier will actually look at a note to determine whether it’s counterfeit.

When I was stationed in Germany long ago, the only counterfeiting cases I recall my office’s handling resulted from someone’s removing the corners of four $20 notes and taping them on a $1 bill. No one ever got caught in the act of doing that, and it was only after the fact that the merchants discovered what had been done. When people are so unobservant as to allow that sort of thing to be perpetrated, expecting them to look for microprinting is obviously out of the question.

Even longer ago when I was a kid I had a publication produced by the Secret Service that explained how to detect counterfeits of the day. Most counterfeits, however, were detected by people like bank tellers who handled large numbers of notes every day, and therefore often detected them by feel. I wonder who detects them today. If they’re so good, are they ever detected?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Even longer ago when I was a kid I had a publication produced by the Secret Service that explained how to detect counterfeits of the day. Most counterfeits, however, were detected by people like bank tellers who handled large numbers of notes every day, and therefore often detected them by feel. I wonder who detects them today. If they’re so good, are they ever detected?

The paper (technically fabric) used for US currency is extremely difficult to replicate. And yes, people who handle large amounts of cash daily like tellers can tell something is off just by feel. One counterfeiting strategy is to bleach small bills and reprint them as 100s.

I have to wonder, if there are counterfeits these days that are so good that they can hardly be told apart from authentic, then how are the counterfeiters making money off their crime? Considering all the security features these days, it seems it would cost almost $100 to make a really good counterfeit $100 bill. It's way beyond some fake plates, presses and printers.

Posts: 3172 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
The US has always been reluctant to discontinue old currency, but that’s what needs to be done now. Set a date a year or two out when only current series high value notes will be valid and everything in circulation will then have the new features. Have the old stuff? Turn it in for new. No keeping track of who turns in what and no limits (within reason). Find grandpa’s stash 10 years from now? It must be converted at a Federal facility that is equipped to detect counterfeits properly.

Of course that won’t happen, and that’s fine with the government. Many countries are trying to discourage large cash transactions and are reducing the value of their top available notes to make it harder. Way back when a dollar was worth far more than it is now, notes from $500 to (IIRC) $100,000 were printed. I’m sure there are people who would be happy if $50 and $100 notes disappeared as well.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
^^^
I recently received some old $100 bills that were printed over 30 years ago. I tried to deposit them in an ATM, but they were rejected, b/c they didn't have the modern security features. I had to deposit them w/ a human teller.

Posts: 3172 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Hookers love them.

Unless you demand your change!

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10920 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Years ago, a buddy of mine toured the US Mint. In the gift shop, you can buy sheets of uncut $1 bills. He bought a couple and took them home in a poster tube. Then, he went to Kinko's and had them perforated in the proper spots (for separation) and put them back in the tube.
He went to McDonald's and placed an order, took out the sheets of $1 bills from the poster tube, and proceeded to tear off enough to pay the kid at the register.

Yeah, that didn't go over well. I think his food was very cold before all the hubbub died down Wink

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:
quote:

The paper (technically fabric) used for US currency is extremely difficult to replicate. And yes, people who handle large amounts of cash daily like tellers can tell something is off just by feel. One counterfeiting strategy is to bleach small bills and reprint them as 100s.

I have to wonder, if there are counterfeits these days that are so good that they can hardly be told apart from authentic, then how are the counterfeiters making money off their crime? Considering all the security features these days, it seems it would cost almost $100 to make a really good counterfeit $100 bill. It's way beyond some fake plates, presses and printers.

This is probably why they do check smaller bills. I've heard that around here $5 dollar bills are what they counterfeit most. Not many security features, and who looks closely at a $5 bill? Might not get rich doing it, but it's solid beer and gas money.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3509 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
I once went to a jeep parts swap meet with a "pad" of bills. I just took my spending money and neatly stacked it together, then smeared the one end with padding compound. The glue that they use to make note pads.

It was a stunt done for fun. It didn't work well because while its easy to peal off a $1 or a $100, the ones in the middle that you spend the most of are hard to get out.

As for the sheets of bills, I have a sheet of $1s and another of $2s. Now I've got to go find them. Lost in the move 10 years ago.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
And then there's the gun show procedure. Taking 10 $100 bills and stapling them together. Easier to count and keep track of during the day. I know, some folks don't even bring along a bad nickel but want to handle all the high dollar pieces.

We don't bring along our treasures so folks with grubby hands eating salty popcorn can handle them. I know that will be a shock to some. You thought we wanted them to be "shop worn". When buying a nice gun, both the seller and buyer will end up counting the stack at least once, but it works for us.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Big Stack
posted Hide Post
A lot of the new security features are meant to stop some guy with a computer, scanner, and ink jet printer. If cashiers are at all paying attention, those should be obvious.

But there are much bigger, more sophisticated counterfeiting operations, a lot offshore. The Colombians were big in this, and then smuggle the fake money in like drugs. They have a lot of sophisticated equipment and can do a good job of it. And then there are state actors that do this. I hear the Iranians can make a really rocking Benjamin. When you have organizations that can throw a lot of money at well making (fake) money, it's hard to stop.

I while back I saw a show on CNBC. They did a profile of a counterfeiter. This was not a inkjet printer guy. He was a sophisticated printer who went to the dark side. They went into excruciating detail about how he made his bills, to the point where it would be useful to anyone who was thinking about doing so. They went point by point how he could beat each security feature.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I don’t know if it’s a cash versus card thing.

I think it’s more of an issue of the person getting up to the register and acting like a slug. Digging for change, counting out exact change in pennies, etc.

The best way to explain it I guess is the equivalent of that person that stands in line at a busy diner where they stand in line to order their food. There’s a 5x15 menu visible while they are standing in line for 10 minutes. Then they get to the head of the line and it goes something like “ummmm, let’s see...” and then they stand there and stare at the menu blankly.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:
Usually takes much longer than a card transactions.

I have seen this complaint many times, but I must live in a different universe than the complainers. I pay for most in-store purchases with cash, and my transactions go faster than 90% of CC transactions.

It depends on the store. At the Kroger stores around here I can put my card in the chip reader and pull it out before the cashier has finished scanning all of my items. Once she scans the last item it's only a matter of seconds before it is approved and my wallet is already back in my pocket.

------------------------------
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)

Posts: 1494 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post