SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Cell phone while driving. Please stop it already.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cell phone while driving. Please stop it already. Login/Join 
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted
I just got stuck behind some lady driving a new BMW, shaking, fluffing and teasing her blonde hair up so that she could take some sweet, sweet selfies while driving home in her new ride with temp plates. In the three miles I was subjected to this, she almost went into the ditch once, nearly veered into the oncoming lane once, had to jam on the brakes twice to keep from rear-ending the driver in front of her, and sat at a green light for a full ten count taking fucking pictures of herself before I laid on the horn and leaned forward with the “hang up the phone” gesture. After that, she held the phone lower, still weaving all over the place. Bitch, please, I can see you with my polarized lenses. Your factory tint means nothing.

My wife has a friend from high school who we’re friends with on Facebook. For at least a decade now, he’s been posting regular pictures of his speedometer on his “drive home.” He orders a new BMW yearly, picks up at the factory in Germany and drives the rest of the way to the home to Florida. Nothing under 90, generally it’s over 100. This, several times a week for years.

Beyond those two shining examples, I almost got t-boned in our neighborhood about a month ago with my son in the backseat by some guy in a Tundra who didn’t even slow down for a stop sign while he was looking at his phone, and it’ll be two weeks tomorrow that I got rear-ended by some 23 year old dude who ran into me at a stoplight while he was texting.

If you’re driving, YOU’RE DRIVING, PUT YOUR FUCKING PHONE DOWN! People need to start losing their license over this stuff, no doubt more people have already lost their lives because of it. If I watch oncoming traffic while stopped at a light, at least half are looking down at a phone. It’s got to stop.

Posts: 17100 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CandyMan.45
posted Hide Post
Agree with you... but the question is How ?!

Posts: 1244 | Location: The Edge of Nowhere... | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CandyMan.45:

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23196 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Horn. Loud horn. Loud and continuous.

It doesn't always work, but it couldn't hurt to try.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30634 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
picks up at the factory in Germany and drives the rest of the way to the home to Florida.

Admittedly THIS is very impressive.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12390 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:
picks up at the factory in Germany and drives the rest of the way to the home to Florida.

The gas mileage must be quite impressive, too!

Posts: 9025 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
I just got a new to me ‘17 Tundra.
That paired with my iPhone means hands free calling/talking with the push of a button on the steering wheel. A text gets answered with an automatically sent “Driving now, I’ll get back to you.”

A few weeks ago some dumbass was doing the variable speed weaving typical of texting drivers...WITH A PASSENGER SITTING THERE! Hey meatsack, you drive and let the passenger handle your self-important communications. Roll Eyes

Since not everyone can afford an RPG7, half a magazine dumped into their car should work.
“They were texting” should be made a valid legal defense. Wink

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3774 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
quote:

My daughter lives in GA. She said GA recently changed their law and you can't have a cell phone in your hands while driving. Everything must be hands free.

GA members, please step in and let me know if my understanding of GA law is correct.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
AZ passed a statewide ban on handheld phones while driving (stop light/parked use ok) but it doesn’t go into effect until Jan 2021! Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
I guess property damage and death wasn’t a big priority.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3774 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
tatortodd...could NOT agree more!!!!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR:
quote:

My daughter lives in GA. She said GA recently changed their law and you can't have a cell phone in your hands while driving. Everything must be hands free.

GA members, please step in and let me know if my understanding of GA law is correct.

Washington state passed a similar law that went into effect July of 2017. The problem is enforcement. I have no idea how often people get pulled over and cited for it, but it must not be often enough based on how often I see it happening. Some nine months ago, I saw a KCSO deputy blatantly texting while driving through town, so there must be plenty of folks with badges that don’t give a shit if they see you playing with your phone while you’re driving.

Tatortodd, I like your style, couldn’t agree more.

And obviously my friend loads the car on a container ship for the Atlantic leg of the journey. I figured that part was obvious, lol. Razz

Posts: 17100 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:

The gas mileage must be quite impressive, too!

I wish I could embed video:

Who's the U-Boat Commander?

Posts: 10899 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:

Washington state passed a similar law that went into effect July of 2017. The problem is enforcement. I have no idea how often people get pulled over and cited for it, but it must not be often enough based on how often I see it happening. Some nine months ago, I saw a KCSO deputy blatantly texting while driving through town, so there must be plenty of folks with badges that don’t give a shit if they see you playing with your phone while you’re driving.

Tatortodd, I like your style, couldn’t agree more.

And obviously my friend loads the car on a container ship for the Atlantic leg of the journey. I figured that part was obvious, lol. Razz

Cops are specifically exempted from the WA state law...

RCW 46.61.672

Using a personal electronic device while driving.

(2) Subsection (1) of this section does not apply to:
(d) A person operating an authorized emergency vehicle.

‘Cause they are the only ones professional enough...

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10924 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is how they catch people in Illinois. Put troopers in 18 wheelers. Here is the story:

HICAGO — You wouldn't expect to see state police climb into big rigs as they head out on patrol, but the giant trucks are their latest tool in the fight against districted driving.

The "Trooper in a Truck" program, an initiative between the Illinois State Police and the Illinois Trucking Association, aims to make the roads safer for vehicles of all sizes.

"As we’ve seen in the last 10 years, distracted driving in my opinion has overtaken alcohol," Master Sgt. Bryan Falat said.

From their higher vantage point, troopers are able to spot distracted drivers and radio the offending vehicle's information to waiting patrol cars. They then pull them over and issue a ticket.

More than 20 citations were issued Wednesday alone for cell phone violations, improper lane changes, seat belt faux pas and those following too closely. Troopers say this isn’t about money and tickets, it’s about education and safety. And maybe drivers will follow the rules not knowing who is in that truck driving next to them.

After all, officials say distracted driving is the leading cause of all crashes, killing 10 people every day.

"It's day and night that people are doing it, so many people are getting hurt so many people are dying because of it," Falat said.

In the year the program has been rolling, troopers have used semi trucks to patrol sections of I-57, I-55, I-70 and I-80, catching drivers doing things they shouldn’t do while behind the wheel. Their goal is more than handing out citations; they hope to change drivers' daily habits and ingrain the safest way to drive in their brains.

LINK to video: https://wgntv.com/2019/06/20/s...-distracted-driving/

Posts: 17221 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
‘Cause they are the only ones professional enough...
I grew up with a Dad in autobody. Having the LEO contract meant for a very good year and that was before the squad cars became electronic gadget central.

Of course, back then:
  • I don’t think they had to ask a bazillion levels of management permission to ram/pit a fleeing vehicle
  • the squad cars were all souped up rwd vehicles in a place with 5 months of winter and they were on the road most of the day 365 days a year regardless of the weather

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23196 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of CandyMan.45
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by tatortodd:

I'm thinking something more along the lines of the M72 LAW:

We each get about 5-6 to keep in the car!! More and More states have passed laws... problem is still enforcing it is the biggest problem! Speaking with numerous buddies in multiple agencies, there's just not enough man power for it.

Posts: 1244 | Location: The Edge of Nowhere... | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
    This is how they catch people in Illinois. Put troopers in 18 wheelers. Here is the story:

HICAGO — You wouldn't expect to see state police climb into big rigs as they head out on patrol, but the giant trucks are their latest tool in the fight against districted driving.

The "Trooper in a Truck" program, an initiative between the Illinois State Police and the Illinois Trucking Association, aims to make the roads safer for vehicles of all sizes.

"As we’ve seen in the last 10 years, distracted driving in my opinion has overtaken alcohol," Master Sgt. Bryan Falat said.

From their higher vantage point, troopers are able to spot distracted drivers and radio the offending vehicle's information to waiting patrol cars. They then pull them over and issue a ticket.

More than 20 citations were issued Wednesday alone for cell phone violations, improper lane changes, seat belt faux pas and those following too closely. Troopers say this isn’t about money and tickets, it’s about education and safety. And maybe drivers will follow the rules not knowing who is in that truck driving next to them.

After all, officials say distracted driving is the leading cause of all crashes, killing 10 people every day.

"It's day and night that people are doing it, so many people are getting hurt so many people are dying because of it," Falat said.

In the year the program has been rolling, troopers have used semi trucks to patrol sections of I-57, I-55, I-70 and I-80, catching drivers doing things they shouldn’t do while behind the wheel. Their goal is more than handing out citations; they hope to change drivers' daily habits and ingrain the safest way to drive in their brains.

LINK to video: https://wgntv.com/2019/06/20/s...-distracted-driving/

I'm trying to picture how this works. Are the trucks fitted with sirens and flashing lights?

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    אַרְיֵה
    Picture of V-Tail
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by NK402:

I'm trying to picture how this works. Are the trucks fitted with sirens and flashing lights?
    In the article that you quoted: "From their higher vantage point, troopers are able to spot distracted drivers and radio the offending vehicle's information to waiting patrol cars. They then pull them over and issue a ticket."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30634 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:

TN just passed that law but it has made things worse. People are now holding the phone below eye level & looking down.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4263 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post