SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Edit: Corrected buying experience from Buds.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Edit: Corrected buying experience from Buds. Login/Join 
posted
Edit: I received a credit from Buds on November 18th that came close to reimbursing me the difference. Since I took the time to complain I felt I should take the time to give them credit.

I quick rant on a recent online purchase experience: I purchased a Sig Sauer 220R3-45-SSE P220 Carry Elite Stainless from Buds and the price dropped $316 before they even shipped it to me.

All they did is point me to a Norton Price protection link to file a $100 claim that will take weeks if not months and not account for the at least 10% tax on the difference.

I posted a negative review and Buds immediately censored it by deleting my review. Whether Buds has an inflexible posted pricing policy I neglected to read the fine print on or not, dropping a price before even shipping the gun and not making a correction is unlike any store I have ever purchased from.

The Gun is still at my FFL waiting for a background check.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GRH,

Posts: 29 | Registered: January 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Let me see if I have this correct. You purchased a gun at the advertised price. After the sale was complete, the price dropped. You want them to honor the lower price, is that correct?

One quick question for clarification : If the price was raised after the sale, would you send them more money?

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
Let me see if I have this correct. You purchased a gun at the advertised price. After the sale was complete, the price dropped. You want them to honor the lower price, is that correct?

One quick question for clarification : If the price was raised after the sale, would you send them more money?

I simply posted an emotional reaction to a perceived slight and am ready to move on. In every previous online purchasing experience, I have had the store offer price protection and price protection by definition only works one way.

Here are a few examples;

https://lifehacker.com/all-the...a-price-d-1661273299

I simply mentioned my beef and can leave it at that. I can own not reading the fine print if it is in fact available and I have no reason to believe it isn’t. Feel free to take your position but your counterpoint is again by definition not relevant.

Posts: 29 | Registered: January 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
OK.

Perhaps I misunder s ood your post. Sorry.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
I don't think you misread the OP's post, but I can't say I'd be pleased in his shoes, either.

Of course, most purchases I've made with price protection were appliances, etc, that could be returned for a full refund then re-purchased at the sale price, so the store is disinclined to have to jump through all of that vs just giving me the friggin' discount and being done with it. Guns be a slightly different animal, albeit one that is equally or more expensive.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would not be happy in your shoes.

Check with your credit card and see if it offers price protection on your purchase. I think they'd have the most leverage over Bud's.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thats chickenshit. Retailers typically offer price protection on purchases. My wife is the queen of getting partial refunds from Nordstrom.

I've made purchases from Rocky Mountain ATV and had them give me credit for items purchased that then went on sale and I wasn't even aware of the price change until they emailed me the credit.

Stores do this to avoid this very situation and to avoid lost sales. Personally, I'd return the gun to Bud's if they won't honor the lower price

Posts: 270 | Location: NorCal | Registered: June 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree it's BS that the price dropped before the gun was even shipped, and Buds should have given you that price.

F12517's suggestion, though extreme, is what I would do. Have the FFL return it, say it was refused due to a deceptive price practice. Get your credit card company involved if necessary. $315 is a lot of money, effectively the cost of a police turn-in Glock.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Depends on the markup of the retail item and the cost. Could well be that the particular gun you bought wholesaled at a much higher price, and the next shipment cost a lot less. The markup on guns is very slim. Look at the magazine sales Sig has had lately. Any chance?

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jack32586
posted Hide Post
I agree with Fredward, except on one point. If the markup is small, Buds has little to loose sending you the cheaper one and passing the discount on to you. And if the markup is indeed slim, sending you the more expensive one gets that expensive bitch out of the inventory. I don't see the downside of giving you the deal, except changing paperwork etc. I was really considering buying a rifle from them, going back and forth about the $$ to do it. I'll look elsewhere and see if I can get the same deal.

If you can swing the $$ buy the cheaper one. Then don't sign for the more expensive one, and have it returned. Unless there a restocking fee. Seems shitty either way.

Posts: 203 | Location: S/W Florida | Registered: October 10, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also agree with you, that is not cool. I am very wary of buying from Buds (I have not bought anything from them, but I have seen enough around here that I avoid them).

Posts: 5405 | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
Depends on the markup of the retail item and the cost. Could well be that the particular gun you bought wholesaled at a much higher price, and the next shipment cost a lot less. The markup on guns is very slim. Look at the magazine sales Sig has had lately. Any chance?

That is what I am thinking. Most sellers have a restocking fee such as 15 percent of purchase price if a buyer changes his mind before the firearm is transferred.

Posts: 9730 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wallacemf
posted Hide Post
The local FFL we use charges twice as much to receive from Bud's than from anyone else. I think most LGSs hate them Roll Eyes

Posts: 377 | Registered: December 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be Careful What You Wish For...
Picture of Monk
posted Hide Post
The most egregious part is Bud's censoring his review.

Georgeair: "...looking around my house this morning, it's not easily defended for long by two people in the event of real anarchy. The entryways might be slick for the latecomers though...."

Posts: 11865 | Location: Hoisting the colors in a strange land | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Many credit cards offer price protection that will reimburse for this type of situation. Typical time frame is 90 days.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4214 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Monk:
The most egregious part is Bud's censoring his review.

This!

It's one thing to be a douchebag about price matching their own price, it's another to censor his negative review about it (assuming it was all factual).

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
I agree and would have expected them to notify me of the price drop. To their surprise I probably would have bought $316 (maybe more) of other stuff and been a happy customer - instead of a pissed off one that may not shop there again.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3785 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
Cabela's used to sell their gun safes that needed delivering on lay away. Seemed a bit silly but was an excellent system. They would total your purchase and have you pay everything except one cent. That kept the safe in their computer so they could track it. We would go to pick it up, drop off the penny at customer service, and they would finalize the sale which then kicked it out of inventory.

Some people would have their safes there for months. On occasion the price would drop between the purchase date and the pick up. When that happened the balance when from one cent to a negative number in their system. They would not only give us the safe to deliver but would take out the difference in cash, stuff it in an envelope, and have us deliver that along with the safe.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15692 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Buds has earned the emnity of the FFLs across the nation.

With the price dropping PRIOR to it being shipped the correct and honorable move is to refund the difference. That's how I read the OP. Color me unsurprised that Buds did not do this.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5643 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NMPinNYC
posted Hide Post
At a price of $1,022 I am tempted to get me one of these to augment my pair of P245's...

Oh, and at $1,340 I'd be pissed, too.

Best regards,
Nick.

NRA Life Member and Certified Instructor

Posts: 710 | Location: Back in northern NJ/NY State Catskills | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post