SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Losing Respect for Someone
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Losing Respect for Someone Login/Join 
posted
I am still fortunate enough to have maintained a great relationship with one of my oldest and best friends. We have known each other since 6th grade and been through a ton of shit together both good and bad.

Part of my friendship with this person was a closeness I had with his family. His Dad used to take us skiiing, taught me how to shoot and was an all around good guy.

Having a sometimes rocky relationship with my own Dad I really appreciated the relationship I had with my buddies Dad, so much so in fact that when my friends mom connected with me on Facebook and we were catching up I told her that I owed her husband a lot for all he did for me.

I have not seen this man in probably 20 years and live 2000 miles away but last night I found out that he has been talking shit about me and putting me down to the extent my friend pretty much told him to fuck off and walked out of a family event over it.

I am beyond hurt and insulted over this and truly do not understand it...I have never done a thing to this man except respect him and I am confused why, after all this time he is harboring some kind of ill feelings towards me.

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
How old is he ? Maybe he's got some Alz/dementia going on ?

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why did your friend's mother choose this moment to contact you after so many years?

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9156 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
Why did your friend's mother choose this moment to contact you after so many years?

He is 70 and in great health and his mom connected on facebook when she got on it a while ago

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Pure speculation, but maybe he is bitter over not seeing you in the last 20 years.

If you felt like he was a surrogate father, he may feel slighted by you not treating him like a surrogate son.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LDD:
Pure speculation, but maybe he is bitter over not seeing you in the last 20 years.

If you felt like he was a surrogate father, he may feel slighted by you not treating him like a surrogate son.

+1
Or perhaps bitter that his wife reached out to you? As an earlier poster said, why did she choose this time?

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5318 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Meh, maybe he wasn't as great after all.

Communication is a 2 way street. If neither side tries, neither side has rights to be pissed IMO.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another problem created by Facebook. There is no substitute for sitting down face to face with someone to figure things out like this.

Many people have terrible skills in written communication and social media makes it worse.

Posts: 17231 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:

Many people have terrible skills in written communication and social media makes it worse.
+1

Lots of trouble, social media is.

His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I can talk shit about you all day, it's what I do for you that counts. That's my motto.

It's been 20 years since you've seen him, he really isn't a part of your life anymore. Don't be butthurt over what you heard he said about you. Appreciate what he did for you.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19658 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
People suck.
Survive and advance.

Maybe his motives and thoughts at the time were not what you thought they were at the time. Nevertheless, you made lemonade from lemons. Who cares if the lemon tree wasn't as pretty as you remember.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
Call him up. Talk it over

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbramlett:
Call him up. Talk it over
Someone he hasn't seen in 20 years, over something so and so says he said?

I guess I just don't have time in my life for that kind of non-sense.

Not to mention, what was the context. All my military buddies talk smack about each other, even to our faces, from time to time. When drinks flow, the stories get told larger than life, and things can be misconstrued.

(Overhead) "Oh yeah, old so and so, this one time he royally screwed the pooch. Anyone who saw what happened would think he's a real asshole" (not heard a little while later) "but he's one loyal sonofabitch, would walk through hell for you, great guy".

JMO, anyway.

posted Hide Post
quote:
made lemonade from lemons

I would propose that that's the easy part.

Making lemons from lemonade is a challenge. Especially if you throw the seeds away.

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Brush it off. Hard to do sometimes but it can be done.
I would say that if he has no bearing or effect on your life, it would be easy.
It hurts but what's done is done. Reach out or drop it.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
Maybe he knows you're right wing and he's taken a hard left turn in his old age? The political rancor we're all so familiar with from the left combined with a little dementia maybe?

I had a very similar relationship with a family from 7th grade onward. Both his sons are very good friends. The best in fact. I am even godfather to one of his grand-daughters. This man was a USAF FAC and tanker pilot with tours in VN. Very conservative but his sons (also conservatives) tell me his politics took an extreme left sometime after his wife passed in 2005. They tell me he voted for BHO both times. That it is just sad, and not to ever try to talk politics with him at all.

Posts: 7254 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
It reflects him, not you.

Walk away.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
20 yrs out means you both already walked away. Forget about it.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17277 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe all those years ago he resented you being part of his relationship with his father, and with the fullness of time, and the distance of separation - plus the bluntness that comes with age, he has simply expressed what he has come to realize he felt back then.

On the other hand, I have lots of cousins with whom I grew up and was very close with, yet now, some 50 years later I don't always relate tales of our youthful activities while casting them in the most positive light....

Posts: 30 | Registered: July 24, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Kevmo, let it go. This is your friend's father, not your friend. If his son has called him out on this, that is as far as it should go.

Now that being said, IF and only IF your friend's father's were being quoted as part of a background investigation that could affect your future in some way, now that is when I would confront him in this matter.

Mental issues are a real possibility, Dementia,Alzheimer's, CVA aka stroke and probably some others I forget now. I have witnessed first hand those from family members. Maybe he is channeling some resentment towards his son through you, maybe regrets that he did not spend enough one on one time with him. Who knows?

Regardless, people that know you are not going to be swayed by his musings or rants and raves, take your choice.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post