SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Captain Kangaroo was not a War Hero and Mr. Rogers was not a SEAL Sniper....
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Captain Kangaroo was not a War Hero and Mr. Rogers was not a SEAL Sniper.... Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted
You would think in this day and age, seemingly intelligent men would fact check shit like this before continuing to spew it like gospel.

Went to the range today to get some pistol practice in and listened to this dude fascinate some younger shooters with this dribble.

The kids' dad even tried to counter with, "I'm pretty sure that's not true and just internet legend."

Nope. The guy just stood his ground and talked louder. Because that always works. Sigh....

I hope the old man educated his kids on the way home.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12315 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
But Dr. Ruth really was a sharpshooter. And fought in Israel's war of independence. Big Grin

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43859 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
Captain Kangaroo was not a War Hero and Mr. Rogers was not a SEAL Sniper...

... and Neil Armstrong's first thought after landing on the moon wasn't hoping that his childhood neighbor was finally getting a blowjob.

quote:
You would think in this day and age, seemingly intelligent men would fact check shit like this before continuing to spew it like gospel.

Even better when it's on the forum. You're literally already sitting in front of a computer or holding a smartphone, and you're clearly connected to the Internet. Yet they still can't be bothered to verify it before simply spreading the urban legend bullshit.

Posts: 32487 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Bob Keeshan/Captain Kangaroo did serve in the military, just not in any war. WWII ended with the surrender of Japan while he was still stateside.

Posts: 27918 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some current members of our military are not taught military history. I was kind of surprised when the name Audie Murphy came up, no one seemed to know who that was.

Posts: 17221 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
But Dr. Ruth really was a sharpshooter. And fought in Israel's war of independence. Big Grin

She sure did.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16660 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Some current members of our military are not taught military history. I was kind of surprised when the name Audie Murphy came up, no one seemed to know who that was.

Army guys? If so that's sad. I could understand other branch's not knowing, but Army folks should.

Posts: 4576 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not Today
Picture of badcopnodonut!!
posted Hide Post
"Internet legends are difficult to verify."

Abraham Lincoln

Hi,I'm Buck Melonoma,Moley Russels' wart.

Posts: 2926 | Location: sunflower state | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
Walt Disney was not thrown out of the army for using lsd.

Posts: 11507 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
Obviously he doesn't know what he was talking about. Mr. Rodgers was a sniper in the USMC. Big Grin

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Yeah, Lee Marvin was not in the Marines on Saipan and is not buried in Arlington.

Oh, wait a minute. Yeah, that is true........

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I wonder how old that father was. I think the death of tall tales and trying to feed someone a complete line of shit definitely died off with the internet, but some people haven't gotten the memo.

Like my old man, who tried to tell me to my face that Eric Clapton's real name is Elliott Goldfrotter, and Jeff Beck's real name is Josiah Blumenthal, but nobody knows that, see? When they were getting started, nobody would book them because their names weren't rock and roll enough.

There's reasons we don't talk anymore. Roll Eyes

Posts: 17101 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
There's reasons we don't talk anymore.

I'm not sure you were really communicating then. Smile

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2064 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
I saw a comedian recently who said as a kid he and his father were watching the Fugitive where Tommy Lee Jones was the lawman. He said his dad turned to him while TLJ was on the screen and said “He’s gay.” Being a kid what did he know? Many years later that kid became acquainted with someone who was actually a friend of TLJ. He asked that friend about TLJ being gay. The friend laughed and told him “No, TLJ is quite straight and is married with children.” Still being a young man, he felt the need to set dad straight on this topic. He told dad about his friend and TLJ not being gay. His dad looked up from his paper and just said “Yeah? Hmm, thought he was.” And went back to his paper.

Apparently, folks don’t care that they’re full of BS.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
People not knowing about Audie Murphy is just plain sad. No, worse than that!

But then we have to remember that the libtards are doing everything possible to destroy our real history in their quest to destroy this nation as we know and love it.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25641 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ASKSmith:
Obviously he doesn't know what he was talking about. Mr. Rodgers was a sniper in the USMC. Big Grin

And wore sweaters to cover his tattoos. Cool

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
You're all wrong. He was Spetznaz.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

no comment

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54597 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
According to Wikipedia, Rogers never even served in the military. It also mentions that he had red-green color-blindness, likely the reason.

Posts: 27918 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It drives me nuts that people continue to disseminate BS in e-mails. It's usually about some left wing celebrity, who supposedly said something you wouldn't expect them to say. My standard is that if it sounds too good to be true, it's probably BS. Snopes.com may have a liberal bent but it's useful for the 20 seconds it takes to vet these things.
As for Audie Murphy, I read once that fellow actor, Neville Brand, was the second most highly decorated soldier in WW II. Not sure if that was technically true but according to Wikipedia, he did earn a bunch of medals, including the Silver Star.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post