SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Captain Kangaroo was not a War Hero and Mr. Rogers was not a SEAL Sniper....
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Captain Kangaroo was not a War Hero and Mr. Rogers was not a SEAL Sniper.... Login/Join 
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
If Bill Nye is allowed to masquerade as a "science guy" then I say give full military honors to both Cap'n Roo and Special Operator Rogers.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:
It drives me nuts that people continue to disseminate BS in e-mails. It's usually about some left wing celebrity, who supposedly said something you wouldn't expect them to say. My standard is that if it sounds too good to be true, it's probably BS. Snopes.com may have a liberal bent but it's useful for the 20 seconds it takes to vet these things.
As for Audie Murphy, I read once that fellow actor, Neville Brand, was the second most highly decorated soldier in WW II. Not sure if that was technically true but according to Wikipedia, he did earn a bunch of medals, including the Silver Star.

Snopes is sometimes purposely misleading.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Floyd D. Barber:
quote:
It drives me nuts that people continue to disseminate BS in e-mails. It's usually about some left wing celebrity, who supposedly said something you wouldn't expect them to say. My standard is that if it sounds too good to be true, it's probably BS. Snopes.com may have a liberal bent but it's useful for the 20 seconds it takes to vet these things.
As for Audie Murphy, I read once that fellow actor, Neville Brand, was the second most highly decorated soldier in WW II. Not sure if that was technically true but according to Wikipedia, he did earn a bunch of medals, including the Silver Star.

Could you please link to some examples?

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMF:
quote:
Originally posted by Floyd D. Barber:
quote:

Anyone else appreciate the irony of no examples being provided, given the topic of discussion?

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:

Hillary and the races

http://yournewswire.com/snopes...in-questions-raised/

Lack of American flags at the democratic convention

http://dailycaller.com/2016/07...mocratic-convention/

Then there's two police officers in Alabama, in July refused service. Here two officers were refused, the company apologies and fired the employee. The incident got lots of posts.
However Snopes called it "false." How come?
Turns out there was a ones shot news report from an obscure website. Snopes ignored the real story and used this. If you searched for "two police..." you got the false ruling. Is Snopes that incompetent or was it deliberate?

https://www.snopes.com/illegal...-we-dont-serve-pigs/
https://www.washingtonpost.com...m_term=.fe16b41924bf

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Couple guys I work with were talking this same stuff. "Kangaroo was a Navy Cross recipient & Mr Rogers was a Seal sniper with 30 confirmed kills who became an ordained minister, thus deciding to wear long sleeves to cover his tattoo sleeves and not convey that such things were acceptable" or some such BS. I didn't have the heart to burst their bubble. One is a former Marine, so I would think he'd know better.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2736 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
The strangest part about this is that someone was still talking to younger kids about Mr Rogers and Captain Kangaroo. These guys need to find some more modern celebrities to lie about.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15251 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lucky to be Irish
posted Hide Post
OK, but Eddie Haskell did die in Vietnam, didn't he? Big Grin

Posts: 1770 | Location: Mason, OH | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by badcopnodonut!!:
"Internet legends are difficult to verify."

Abraham Lincoln

Nicely done! Big Grin

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post