SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Lowes did not have one fork truck operator working today, not one!!!!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lowes did not have one fork truck operator working today, not one!!!! Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
What a freaking mess. Went to buy 2 pallets of retaining wall blocks today at Lowes. I had a $200 gift card I got for my birthday or I would have gone to the local brick and block supply house.
So it took nearly 35 minutes to get someone to help with the stone.
Then come to find out they have NO ONE working that is certified to work the fork truck. So guess what every damn stone had to be loaded by hand. Hence the reason it took 35 minutes just to get some help. The weather finally breaks and the place is packed of people getting truck loads of mulch, stone, etc. and their 2 employees are stuck hand loading everything.
What a pain. One person running a fork truck would have serious cut down the wait time.
Such piss poor planning on their part.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
Piss poor planning on their part.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8752 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Funny I saw saw this. Yesterday I was at Lowe's looking to buy a toilet for a friend. They have a very old one that needs replacing. I asked to talk to someone about the flush operation. (The one my friend has now requires you to hold down the handle about 5 seconds. Not good with 2 kids under 7 years old.) I was told no one could help me. There was no one in the plumbing section. Then I asked about installation and the customer service person said it would be 10 days to 2 weeks. She added the people doing that work for them were like "a bunch of monkeys with a hammer and a pipe wrench," and she would not use them, all they get is complaints about shoddy work. Holy Shit! I thanked her and left.

Posts: 157 | Registered: October 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
Not a big Lowes fan either. 2 weeks ago my upright freezer took a dump (on a Thursday.)

On Friday I placed an order for a new freezer online. Lowes website said they had 2 of the freezer in stock and it would be delivered by Saturday. Great.

2 hours later I got a voicemail from Lowes saying they did not have the refrigerator (1st issue - I didn't order refrigerator, I ordered a freezer) I ordered and that they cancelled my order (2nd issue) and if I wanted to order another refrigerator to call them back (the VM was received at 8:30 pm but I didn't hear it until after 9 pm as I was on the phone.)

I went to the store 1st thing Saturday and spent 1.5 hours total trying to figure out what happened. Long story short, they cancelled my order without speaking to me when they couldn't find the freezer I ordered.

After someone looked more extensively, they found one but it had a "ding" on the front. Fine, I'll take it but you'll have to take money off for that. The guy offered $25. No thanks. He countered with $45. Ok.

Then I had to speak to the finance company as I did 6 months same as cash. Because they cancelled my order but didn't refund the $, I had a hold for $610 on my (new) card. The lady asked if I wanted to apply for an increase? No thank you.

Ultimately, the lady at the counter was able to give me 10% off and give me a store credit for $104. It wasn't the best outcome, but I was satisfied. My new freezer arrived on Sunday, 1 day too late, as I lost about $50 worth of food.

Am I happy with my freezer? Yes. Will I ever go back to Lowes for a large item purchase again? Highly doubtful.

Sounds like Lowes has issues with managers and making sound decisions not just where I live but in other locations as well.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In defense with Lowes, we got a good one in Tucson, near Tucson Mall. They currently have a 25% off discount on Kobalt hand tools.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
What a freaking mess. Went to buy 2 pallets of retaining wall blocks today at Lowes. I had a $200 gift card I got for my birthday or I would have gone to the local brick and block supply house.
Then come to find out they have NO ONE working that is certified to work the fork truck. So guess what every damn stone had to be loaded by hand. Hence the reason it took 35 minutes just to get some help. The weather finally breaks and the place is packed of people getting truck loads of mulch, stone, etc. and their 2 employees are stuck hand loading everything.
What a pain. One person running a fork truck would have serious cut down the wait time.

Did you have to help load?

Posts: 7011 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
After far too many years I gave up on them and only use Home Depot now.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5643 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:

Did you have to help load?

I did not have to but did because there was a solid line of folks waiting to be loaded and I had been there long enough to stand there and watch one fella load 2 pallets of block by hand.

quote:
Originally posted by ChuckFinley:
After far too many years I gave up on them and only use Home Depot now.

I rarely go to Lowes as I far prefer the Depot. But in this case I had a $200 gift card which covered one of the pallets.
Had I not had the GC I would have gone to Lee Brick and Block for this project.

I have never done a retaining wall, well more of a landscape wall before hopefully it goes well.

————————————————

Doing my best to shape
America's youth
Picture of MooneyP226
posted Hide Post
Preach it.

Try my situation, similar to yours but reversed...I need them to UNload me- we sell to the big two as well as many independent yards.

Pull up, wait for an unknown amount of time for someone to show up to unload the flatbed. With up to 10 more stops afterward. I've been told by the receivers to just roll their stuff off the truck and drop it to he ground because no fork drivers were around for a few more hours. What the hell company has a receiver that can't drive a forklift?

Yeah. They suck. They also lay barely over minimum wage so I don't blame the people working there for disassociation or not caring sometimes. Can't get help if the boss can't pay because corporate says they cannot.

Vicious circle.

Clarior Hinc Honos

BSA Dad, Cheer Dad

Posts: 1624 | Location: on the 42nd parallel  | Registered: November 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had similar experience at Home Depot.The pallet of tile needed to be moved. We had to wait because someone failed to charge the electric forklift. I was with a guy who works construction and says this is a daily problem. We had coffee and came back. It is part of doing business with big box stores I guess. I get plenty of opportunity to practice being patient. I am still a novice.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
The manager had to be there so he should have jumped in and used the forklift.

Some stores are out to lunch and can be blamed on the manager. They make over $100K per year but put in 60 hours a week. I would write a letter to the home office and complain.

The store I worked at had one of the worst managers and lied to people resulting in most of the good people leaving. Plus, they failed to pay time and half for hours over 40 per week. Now all the stores only work 40 hours a week due to the NY Attorney Generals Office filing a law suit.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcat
posted Hide Post
In my experience, Lowe's is quite literally a women's version of Home Depot.

Rarely you'll find better deals on tools or small items, but the only things I'll look at Lowes for are design elements i.e. ceiling fans, tile, all the things I'd never pick out without the woman's input.

Everything else, I go to HD for. Haven't been let down yet.

Posts: 9958 | Location: RI | Registered: October 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kent j
posted Hide Post
We have Lowes and Home Depot across the street from each other. I have always said that HD is for construction and Lowes is for the finishing stuff. I always go to HD first.

Regards, Kent j

You can learn something from everyone you meet, If nothing else you can learn you don't want to be like them
It's only racist to those who want it to be.
It's a magazine, clips are for potato chips and hair

Posts: 294 | Location: Southern Indiana | Registered: December 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Black, you didnt load those in that new van right? Its probably good policy if there was noone with lift truck certs as inexperienced operators can do much damage or someone can get injured, or worse.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
quote:
In my experience, Lowe's is quite literally a women's version of Home Depot.

This made me chuckle.
When I first started dealing with home improvement tasks, I called Lowes a girly Home Depot.

Posts: 4123 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kent j:
We have Lowes and Home Depot across the street from each other. I have always said that HD is for construction and Lowes is for the finishing stuff. I always go to HD first.

Same here. It might be the competition between the two, but both have pretty good customer service. Not perfect mind you, but pretty good.

I've found that if I know what I need, I go to Lowes. If I might need help in finding what I need and might need help in how to do something, I go to HD. The employees at HD seem to be more knowledgeable than Lowes.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
Black, you didnt load those in that new van right? Its probably good policy if there was noone with lift truck certs as inexperienced operators can do much damage or someone can get injured, or worse.

Policy is fine but not to have a single person working in the whole freaking store that can drive a fork truck when it is the best weather we have had in quite some time and prime yard and garden work time is asinine.

————————————————

Animis Opibusque Parati
posted Hide Post
The lack of a fork lift driver is a bad oversight at a store that sells bulk goods. I live halfway between HD and Lowes so I shop both. HD typically has more help on hand, but the customer service at Lowes cannot be beat. judging by the number of contractors trucks in the parking lot, HD is by far the leader with the pro's, or at least the guys that own a truck and a sign.

"Prepared in mind and resources"

Posts: 1351 | Location: SC | Registered: October 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
What is this "fork truck" of which you speak?

A fork lift?

Smile

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
What is this "fork truck" of which you speak?

A fork lift?

Smile

Synominous

————————————————