SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    iPhone pop-ups that can’t be dismissed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

iPhone pop-ups that can’t be dismissed Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
I’ve been seeing this annoyance frequently of late: “Your phone has been compromised”, or something similar to that. On, sad to say, oann.com, a conservative news site.

Clicking the “X”, the usual “dismiss” symbol, has no good effect. The only way I’ve found to kill the pop-up is to close the page in my Safari browser. Then I have to relaunch oann.com, then reposition it to my preferred location among the other Safari pages. Grrr.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8919 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's their advertisers. You can't do a ton about and the site has limited control as they don't pick individual advertisers.

Posts: 2189 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Stay off those sites and be sure your Apple software/firmware is up to date.
I had that problem a few years ago but not recently so I guess Apple figured out how to stop it, for now.

Posts: 9491 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Try AdBlock. I don't recall if it's free or a paid app, but it eliminated most of the pop up ads on my iPhone.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6393 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post