SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    stupidity at Costco
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

stupidity at Costco Login/Join 
posted
They have an item in this months ad that I am interested in,
but I returned one to them 7 months ago , that is very similar.

before I make the 80 mile hop to the store , I call them to see if its the same model, I know they keep track of the returns.

So on comes Ms. anti customer service,

We can't give that information out w/o a d.l. # , your Costco member # and the date of the return ( it will be on your return slip)

What a cork soaking crank smoker! you trouble making P.O.S.

then I called back 2 hours later and talked to Dean, it took Dean 4 seconds to look it up , w/ only my name and the new item number.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54603 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Two or three years ago I bought a winter coat at Big R (like a TSC or Farm & Fleet), a nice one by Carhartt. On sale in August, I didn't verify fit until about a week later, realized I needed a size larger, and took the coat and my receipt, along with my credit card, back to the same store. They demanded a D/L and SSN for the return, despite it being a credit card purchase that I wanted to simply exchange or return for credit back to the same card.

As cautious as I am about personal info, I refused, told them about the cold day in hell which would be the next time I shopped there, and did the return through Carhartt instead.

What is it with people these days? As much as I hate shopping on-line, confrontations like this one cause me to do it rather than facing these situations. For me, on-line shopping is a PITA, and exchanges take an inordinate amount of time, but rarely do I have confrontations like this one.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9144 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
They demanded a D/L and SSN for the return, despite it being a credit card purchase that I wanted to simply exchange or return for credit back to the same card.
ID? Sure, I will certainly cooperate with your fraud prevention.

SSN? No. Hell no! Absolutely not!

DL? Nope. "They took that away from me after the incident. I did not need one to buy this coat, are you selling it or doing a size exchange only for people who are authorized to operate a motor vehicle? Oh, you want ID. Why didn't you just say so? Here's my Passport Card."

Reason I use my Passport Card instead of DL for ID -- Passport Card has my photo and my name. DL has a lot more information, most of which is none of their business.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
speaking of farm and fleet;

when they were giving me a hassle with a return ,
I asked for the district managers phone number,

when she handed it to me on a slip of paper , I asked her to dial it for me , and she did,
after speaking to him for 7 minutes, the whole thing got cleared up , toot sweet.

During our conversation he asked why I called from the store phone, I told him that it was a 30 minute drive, and why would I use my phone minutes for a problem his store was causing ?

Posts: 54603 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^
I don't understand, nor do I care about, these current "problems" with returns or exchanges.

Here's your product back, in unused condition, with the receipt for the purchase. Gimme my money back. Somebody managed to figure a way to make money off this? Not my problem. Harassing a customer is not a good business plan.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9144 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
I may be the longest continuous member of Costco (nee Price Club) still alive. I have returned items from time to time, not very often, and have never encountered anything like what you describe.

Costco has the best return policy and practice I recall ever seeing. I’ve stood there and watched other returns that I never would have allowed in my store, if I had a store, but if you are a member and want to return an item, no matter, it is ok.

Getting them on the phone is not that easy.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
member since "86"
The store in Coralville ,Ia has only been open for 16 months,
and they are NOT getting the bugs worked out , in the least.

never any problems in So. Cal, Phoenix, Mesa, Littleton , Denver or Scottsdale, nary a one .

maybe its a mid west ( who gives a fuck) mentality .
I hate to say that as I am from the area,

but all I can think of is;they have never been west of DesMoines and have not the slightest clue as to what retail (Costco ) is about.