SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Amazon and "pre-ordering" books.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Amazon and "pre-ordering" books. Login/Join 
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted
Amazon sent me an ad for this. Looks good. I could get down with a nice Preston/Child Pendergast thriller this afternoon.

BUT it won't be available until September 26. Would I like to order it now (and fondle my penis until then)?

Assholes. Mad

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15483 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
You could pre-order it now, and read it while you're waiting to pre-board your flight.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
One of the benefits of pre-ordering something is that Amazon typically schedules the shipment so that the item arrives at your door on the actual day of release. Whereas if you wait until the release date to place the order, the item will arrive a couple days later.

A small benefit, for sure. But if you're an uber-fan, then those couple days could matter to you.

Amazon also sometimes offer discounts on preorders. So if it's something that you know for sure you're going to buy, it could potentially be cheaper to order it now, instead of waiting until it's released.

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I made the mistake of pre-ordering a novel through iBooks. They don't actually charge you until the book officially releases, so there's really no point to pre-ordering.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
I made the mistake of pre-ordering a novel through iBooks.
I'm just curious: why do you say that was a mistake?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
My wife does it all the time. Drives me crazy when I see charges for things I can't identify.

Fortunately, she has other redeeming qualities.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
What makes no sense to me is Amazon encouraging me to pre-order a Kindle book. Will they be out of the Kindle edition on release day? Will I have to wait several days for my Kindle book to be delivered and then run the risk of not being home when it's delivered?? Razz

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I pre-order items so that I don't have to set a reminder on my calendar. I am far too busy to remember the release date of every album and book I want to buy. I am going to buy it anyway and most places don't charge you until it delivers so I don't see the point in waiting.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
It really pisses me off when I go to their website looking for something to read, and all their recommendations haven't been released yet.

Posts: 1502 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
Amazon sent me an ad for this.
it won't be available until September 26

To be fair...on pre-orders they ship a bit before official release so it arrives the first day, so there is some minor advantage if you're wanting it ASAP.

But, yeah, I never liked the old Heinz commercials either. Slow is just another four-letter word.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoLoyg3JKRQ

Posts: 15029 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
Ha, I'm on the last book, Obsidian Chamber, looks like I'll be waiting. I read them on Kindle from my local library. I've read a number of series and am waiting for Longmire, Joe Pickett and Virgil Flowers new books!

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3397 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
You know, you don't have to order a book if you just want to fondle your penis.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
Would I like to order it now (and fondle my penis until then)?

Pfft. Like any of us need an excuse.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
The other advantage is if there is a price drop, they credit you.

------------------------------------
My books on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/William-...id=1383531982&sr=8-1
email if you'd like auto'd copies.

Posts: 17916 | Location: Lawrenceville GA | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
I tried to pre-order Obama's new book.

But my Visa card wouldn't cover the $60 million deposit.

Posts: 15894 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post