SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Dentist/dental issues-sorry longish rant-Update 4-10-21
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dentist/dental issues-sorry longish rant-Update 4-10-21 Login/Join 
posted
Update: I went to the dentist this prior Thursday and he put in a bridge of 4 crowns. The bridge of crowns were made pretty big and he said he will get a new set made but he had already removed the temporaries. It was mounted on the 2 implants and cantilever on the #11/canine. Early Friday morning,when the Novocain wore off, I was experiencing some headaches and pressure/pain in my front teeth. I had to work Friday but called to his office and tried to get in but all I got was an answering machine. Today-Saturday, I called again but no response,only the machine. Now it looks like my #10 tooth is pushing outward and forward, and of course the pain is there. Their website says they are supposed to be open but they are not. Man this is getting stupid.

Where to begin? First off, I should not have taken a late in the day appointment,that is my bad. I know people get tired and want to leave the office but it was only a 2:30 appointment. Never again.

Anyway, I am in the process of having some dental implants for some old root canals and my last visit to the dentist has been a nightmare. The dentist is good but his assistant-specifically the hygienist, is a friggin' moron. I had a couple molars on the top/left that are being replaced and the dentist said the best way to attach a couple of the implants was to adjoin it to the canine, with a cantilever for stability. I explained to him that if he would grind down the canine for the cantilever, I know I would have issues with it and probably need a root canal or another implant in it's place, as I have had prior experiences and the resulting outcome was not good and left me in pain. He said to trust him as he has done this before and so far prior to this, he did not steer me wrong. Well, as it turns out, I was right. A few days after having the procedure, I am having pain in that tooth/canine where the cantilever is going.Just great!

While I was there on the same visit, the hygienist had to do a few things for my new crowns, like do an impression. She asked one of the other hygienists for assistance prior to using the material to do the impression and the other lady said it would be a couple minutes, as she was with someone else. Well this rocket scientist proceeded without having whatever piece the other lady was going to give her and I asked her if that would be an issue prior to starting. She said no, but of course the lie-detector said that was a "LIE"! Turns out it hardened too quick and she needed to do it again and then blamed the other lady/hygienist. I was thinking what the heck is her problem, as it seems some of the other assistants/hygienists don't care for her from what I gather/see and she seems to rub others the wrong way. I had a bad feeling about her from the get go but figured my dentist knew who he hired. That was just one issue.

Another issue was her using some pliers/tool to remove a part of the implant/post and when she pulled on it, she wound up smacking the metal tool against one of my bottom teeth.The sound was noticeable as I heard someone else in another room say that was kind of loud. A day after the procedure, it is now hurting and looks like it might be possibly chipped. At the time I was numbed up pretty good and didn't feel anything until the day after and of course I had to work. At one point she started/tried using my lower front teeth as a fulcrum with the same pliers/tool and I told her to stop. She just looked at me like I was a bother to her and unfortunately for me, she was the only one who could do the build up for my temporary teeth.

There were a few other things, but to say I am beyond pissed is an understatement. I am trying to get another appointment to address my canine/cantilever tooth, which I never had a problem with prior, as I paid for half of the cost of the permanent crowns and want to get it corrected prior to having them put in place.

The original hygienist I had months ago, when the implants were put in place was awesome and seemed like she really cared about her patients. I have not seen her since that time, so I am not sure if she left the practice or moved to another location but this knucklehead I had,seems like just the opposite. I am taking Ibuprofen every few hours for the pain and it makes me even madder. Sorry about the long rant.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: patw,

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I couldn't finish your post. Not that I don't care but just imagining the pain was too much for me.

I'm impressed you even talked with your dentist about your concerns.

I hope you get it all sorted out.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19583 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I have had a lot of injuries over the years but tooth/teeth pain so far, has been the worst.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I feel your pain, believe me. I am now going through a lot of what you are.

Strange about your hygienist. Taking an impression, sure, but I have never had one pick up a pair of pliers and head for my mouth. Damn. Fortunately, my dentist has an excellent assistant that I have known for years. Makes a huge difference.

Sorry about all the heartache. Please keep us posted, I am interested in your outcome.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5024 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patw:
She asked one of the other hygienists for assistance prior to using the material to do the impression

The best thing that ever happened for impressions was the development of some sort of synthetic quick-set material. Back in the 1970s, they used something akin to plaster of paris, and one had to sit without moving your mouth for 30 minutes for it to set. I have a horrible gag reflex, and the only way I could get through one of those impressions was with N₂O.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^

No, the BEST thing that ever happened for impressions was the development of digital scanning that eliminates them altogether. It is far quicker and more precise. The materials in use when I started in the 80s took about 5 minutes to set, so I'm not familiar with any 30 minute impressions. It may have just seemed that way to a gagger.

OP: It's entirely possible that something is being lost between your dentist's treatment plan, your telling of the story and my interpretation of your post. That said: Rigidly attaching a bridge to a natural tooth as well as an implant is generally not recommended. Real teeth move, implants don't. Something is likely to break prematurely.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Something is likely to break prematurely."
Yeah my bank account, Frown .

Sorry for any discrepancy(s). My one canine/cuspid(#11) was ground down next to the first pre-molar(#12),(which had an implant/post that replaced the root for it). They are going to be joined for stability-live tooth/root on canine and implant on first pre-molar. So he is bridging those two. Next will be a bridge for 2nd pre-molar(another implant/post) to my first molar. So it will be teeth 11-canine and 12-1st pre-molar bridged and then 13 and 14 bridged.

I never had a problem with my #11/canine but now that he has ground it down in order to bridge it to an implant/crown, it always hurts and am thinking he now has to make it an implant as well or just yank it out,which I think is better with a bone graft.

Any chance you may be a dentist MNSIG? Seriously.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patw:
"Something is likely to break prematurely."
Yeah my bank account, Frown .

Sorry for any discrepancy(s). My one canine/cuspid(#11) was ground down next to the first pre-molar(#12),(which had an implant/post that replaced the root for it). They are going to be joined for stability-live tooth/root on canine and implant on first pre-molar. So he is bridging those two. Next will be a bridge for 2nd pre-molar(another implant/post) to my first molar. So it will be teeth 11-canine and 12-1st pre-molar bridged and then 13 and 14 bridged.

I never had a problem with my #11/canine but now that he has ground it down in order to bridge it to an implant/crown, it always hurts and am thinking he now has to make it an implant as well.

Any chance you may be a dentist MNSIG? Seriously.

Yes, DDS 1990. I'm an orthodontist, so don't place implants myself, but have attended numerous interdisciplinary courses on the subject since I'm often involved in the space preparation aspect.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does this tx plan sound right to you by chance? Would removing the canine be better with a bone graft for (#11) or have a third implant put in so #11 and #12 can be bridged? I am starting to wonder if #12 implant was spaced too far to begin with from #11(canine) and that is why he is joining them together.

posted Hide Post
I should state they are not really a bridge but cantilevers.

posted Hide Post
Cantilevers, by definition, are only attached on one end so my initial concern of having a connection between an implant and a live tooth does not apply. If the cantilever is just resting up against the unattached tooth to prevent drifting, that isn't a problem.

The need for the cantilevers may have been the result of some drifting of the natural teeth which prevented ideal spacing of the #12 and 13 implants.

posted Hide Post
^^^^Thanks

posted Hide Post
I have a real phobia about teeth and dental issues. If I'm ever unlucky enough to break a tooth, I'm calling 911 and going in by rescue squad!

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
No, the BEST thing that ever happened for impressions was the development of digital scanning that eliminates them altogether. It is far quicker and more precise. The materials in use when I started in the 80s took about 5 minutes to set, so I'm not familiar with any 30 minute impressions. It may have just seemed that way to a gagger.

You are correct in that it may have seemed longer. But I am also talking about the very early 1970s. Its texture did seem like some sort of plaster of paris like material. Certainly no less than 20 minutes with the mold in my mouth, and I recall that mold material was improving even then, during the later 1970s.

I had not heard about digital scanning. Sounds like a winner. Digital x-rays were another wonder when they started appearing.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you complained to your dentist about the hygienist? It's OK to vent here but you're not really accomplishing much unless you bring your concerns to your dentist who can then take action. My dentist is a bit more expensive than others and he's not in my network but does great work so I stick with him.

Posts: 1618 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by calugo:
Have you complained to your dentist about the hygienist? It's OK to vent here but you're not really accomplishing much unless you bring your concerns to your dentist who can then take action. My dentist is a bit more expensive than others and he's not in my network but does great work so I stick with him.

I had a major problem with a hygienist and told the Dentist. He as much as told me I was lying because she wasn't that way.

So I fired him and found a better dentist.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I go back on the 8th and will tell him then. I tried to get another earlier appointment for my issue with the pain of grinding down my canine but I was unable to get in per the girls in the office. I have to find another dentist for sure.