SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    The never ending stupidity of visitors to Western National Parks!
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The never ending stupidity of visitors to Western National Parks! Login/Join 
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Doesn't have to be at the western parks.

My buddy and I were climbing up out of the Potomac area many years ago. As we approached the head of the trail we came upon a guy (dimwit) who was bent over, looking down, and fussing with something on the ground.

As we got close we could see that he was routinely killing small snakes that had hatched not long before. He was crushing their heads between thumb and fore finger.

My friend asked him if he knew what kind of snakes they were. No!

Well, for your information they are young copperheads, and they are poisonous even at that age. (Numb nuts didn't believe us). About that time a ranger came along so we asked him to identify the snakes. He said, Copperheads, and they are born with venom.

Dipshit fainted.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
The motorcycle tourists up through N Georgia who think the whole world should just get out of their way and listen to their noise.
They take a nice quiet, serene time and come rumbling, blipping their throttles with a cacophony that can be heard for miles.

Then there are the squids flying around you on blind double yellows. At least one a day is scraped off the road from being stupid.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is another great book:

https://www.amazon.com/Death-D...evised/dp/1589791827

Up until a few years ago the NPS published a daily update called "The Morning Report", it was always an interesting read to see what goes on in the park. Now ththe closest "real time" update is through a Facebook group, however, this is only a small fraction of what goes on:

https://m.facebook.com/NPSRangerNews/

Posts: 679 | Location: MA | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
we made it a point to take advantage of our time in California by going camping on a monthly basis .

national Forrest's, Nat. Parks, Nat. Monument's,
state parks, B.L.M. land, all over 7 western states.

easily 400 days , probably more.
This was before cell phones,

After reading/watching, hearing what goes on in America's out back ,

I would never again go where we went , w/o another couple with us, for security purposes.

we were foolish and extremely lucky ,
I always carried two guns in the truck.

we had great fun , with wonderful memories and loads of pictures,

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bendable,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I live 20 minutes from Zion N.P., have not been in the main canyon in over two years. Not just idiots but over run with tours. I hear Yellowstone and Yosemite are as bad.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3397 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by clubleaf206:
I’ve referenced the book ‘Death in Yellowstone: Accidents and Foolhardiness in the First National Park’ by Lee H. Whittlesey before, he reprints an editorial from The July 1, 1970 edition of the Billings Gazette, the last two lines of which state ‘The Park is raw nature. And it can kill.’

There is a similar book for the Grand Canyon.

Posts: 6350 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by UTsig:
I live 20 minutes from Zion N.P., have not been in the main canyon in over two years. Not just idiots but over run with tours. I hear Yellowstone and Yosemite are as bad.

I'm glad I got to see the places I did when I was younger. They weren't quite as desolate as during Edward Abbey's days, but not nearly as bad as today. And I'm not talking about only the big, famous parks, but even more out of the way places.

It's getting harder and harder to get off the beaten path. (Although I still manage to.)

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3299 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sig Forum Smart-Ass
Picture of Rotndad
posted Hide Post
Years ago I took my Rotndad Jr. and my two nephews to an alligator farm/tourist trap. There were signs all over telling the guest to not feed or approach the Gators. We overheard a lady with a decided New England accent saying (IIRC) "It's ok ay to pet them. These alligators are tame. THey wouldn't have real, wild alligators so close to people." I explained to her the definition of "farm" right before her dipshit husband was about to lift their kid over the barrier so he could "pet" the gator. They were asked to leave, promptly when an employee heard the same thing.

Dripping water hollows out stone, not through force, but through persistence.
-Ovid

NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

Posts: 10192 | Location: Land O Lakes, FLA | Registered: June 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by UTsig:

Hell, they were that bad 40 years ago. People setting they toddler kids on full grown black bears for the photo-op. People walking up to pet full grown buffalo bulls, for example.

Or like the time we were passing thru Death Valley and came across a guy walking towards the road. No pack, no water, burned to a crisp dark brown by the sun. We had no room for the guy but gave him 2 quarts of water, told him to wait right there at the road, and we would send someone to transport him out. We spotted a police car a few miles down the road, flagged him down and told him about the guy. He just shook his head and muttered something about "and yet another one!"

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
It's here in the East too, at Assateague Island: Big Grin

Don't try to pet the wild horses, dumbass!

Speedo-wearing man kicked in crotch by horse after ignoring signs

Posts: 33802 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
A head on in Glacier NP again today. Some asshole fell asleep and crossed over. Luckily it’s a 40 mph there.

Link

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
Seen some stuff like that. Tried very hard not to BE that sort of thing, despite being a city kid.

When you make the world too safe for people, they take absolute safety for granted.

You see the exact same type of stupidity in cities, too.

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
https://krtv.com/news/montana-...stone-national-park/

A group of people get too close to a herd of bison, 9 yr old girl injured. ^^^

Theres also a new video of some assholes hitting golf balls from GTTS highway in Glacier NP, off the road into the Park! Idiots.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wrote about it here , many years ago ,

A co worker at Sears sent his son on a church outing too The Grand Canyon for 7 days.

His Bro in - law has sort of in charge , so all was good, or so he thought.

on the first night the co-workers boy got out of the tent to pee,
a 3 a.m. pee was the death of him.

he fell 175 feet to his death , off of a ledge.
it took them a day and a half to find and recover him.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:

Idiots.

On the plus side, pretty cool pic if they got it before she was able to say "look at me,,,, I'm Supergirrrrrrrrl"

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:

Theres also a new video of some assholes hitting golf balls from GTTS highway in Glacier NP, off the road into the Park! Idiots.

Wow, the parents just bail on their kid Eek

https://www.youtube.com/watch?...nue=53&v=_AXI2fC-wzc

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16693 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wow, the parents just bail on their kid

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I doubt the parents would have been able to do anything. The bison had made up his mind. I cannot blame the kid who had clueless parents.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:
Wow, the parents just bail on their kid

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I doubt the parents would have been able to do anything. The bison had made up his mind. I cannot blame the kid who had clueless parents.

As a parent you put yourself between your child and danger. You don't run away and leave your child in harms way.

Just maybe, if the parent put themselves between the bison and their child the bison would have hit them instead of the child. I'd take that trade any day of the week. Actually, we would not have been in that position to begin with.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3850 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
From another site. They think the video needed a soundtrack.

To the melody of the theme from Rawhide!, in "a key of E" "a good country key".

Rollin', rollin', rollin', 
a kid I am a' throwin' 
asshole parents I am showin' 

BI-SON! 

As I flung her it was so clear 
you shit yourselves out of fear 
and she said "I can see our house from hereeee!

BBBIII-SSOOONNNN!!

Through feign kindness and leather 
Hell bent for Heather 
I threw her like a feather 
Kicking dirt where ever 

BI-SON!
BBBIII-SSSOOONNN!!
BIIIII-SSSSSOOOOOOOOONNNNNN!

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31436 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I see a future for you as a country singer/songwriter.....now add a pickup and some beer in them there lyrics and you gotta hit.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post