SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Businesses who advertise on Facebook ONLY
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Businesses who advertise on Facebook ONLY Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
Here's a hint for ya, Hello Weeze: Not everybody drinks the Facebook Koolaid!

There's a brick-and-mortar bulk ammo sales outfit about 50 miles from here. Been by several times, big sign out front advertising "Best Prices Anywhere!" or words to that effect. Being temporarily flush with cash, I wanted to check their prices. No website, bookface only. Crap.

So, seeing as I REALLY wanted to grab some ammo before I pissed the money away on something silly, I drove up there. They are indeed well stocked but their prices, while reasonable, are certainly nothing to write home about. In fact they're $10 a case HIGHER than the full-line gun store down the road about 1/4 mile.

So, SGAMMO just got a chunk of my cash for a thousand rounds each of 5.56 and 9mm. Even with shipping it was $40 cheaper than the "ammo super-store".

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15210 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
You don't necessarily have to have a Facebook account to access content on Facebook, you know.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
You don't necessarily have to have a Facebook account to access content on Facebook, you know.

True, and I did visit the link they provided. A lot of testimonials, damn few facts. And the testimonials were apparently from folks who are used to paying out the wazoo for ammo.

I will say he had an excellent selection of the less common calibers.

Posts: 15210 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I would say that advertising/having a site only on Facebook is one of the stupidest marketing decisions any merchant can possibly make. I have tried finding information on such sites and given up in frustration more than once. Something that people who have accounts (or whatever they’re called) seem to be oblivious of is that if one doesn’t, a pop-up that obscures about a third of the page sits there the entire time and can’t be closed by any means I can discover.

Stunning stupidity, pure and simple.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47399 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
Fuck'em.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4618 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't support the book of faces and don't do social media, but building and maintaining a website is damned expensive and a shit ton of work. A bookface for business is free and easy so I can understand why a small business would go this route. His prices would likely be even higher if he had to support the costs of a website.

Posts: 270 | Location: NorCal | Registered: June 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
I do use Facebook, yet I too hate businesses that only have a Facebook web presence. Facebook's format makes it impossible to present any information about a business clearly, and you have to sift through seven metric shit tons of information you aren't looking for to find what you are. It's good for plenty of things, but business isn't one of them.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SevenPlusOne:
Fuck'em.

There's good advice and there's stuff that should be chiseled in granite, thanks. Smile

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8330 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

True, and I did visit the link they provided. A lot of testimonials, damn few facts. And the testimonials were apparently from folks who are used to paying out the wazoo for ammo.

I will say he had an excellent selection of the less common calibers.

If you want testimonials, why not just google their reviews?

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I can't even remember the last time I viewed anything on Facebook.

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:

Sort of my point: I DON'T want testimonials, I want facts. You know, inventory...prices...

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:

Sort of my point: I DON'T want testimonials, I want facts. You know, inventory...prices...

Other than online shops, what actual B&M firm actually does this? Real time inventory is difficult to publish and pricing info is generally going to be a disadvantage.

They should, however, be able to operate an actual telephone and answer these question if they hope to stay in business. Don't get pissy with me if I call to see if you have something in stock.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12408 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:

Other than online shops, what actual B&M firm actually does this?
Many. One that comes to mind immediately, because I looked at their website just the other day to make sure that they had a specific lawnmower in stock before driving over there, is Home Depot. I entered my location and the item that I wanted. It showed how many were in stock at each Home Depot within an x mile radius, and of course, the price.

Staples and Office Depot provide similar information. Matter of fact, if I am looking for a specific item, I rarely get in the car to go to a store without checking the website first.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30650 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by F12517:
I don't support the book of faces and don't do social media, but building and maintaining a website is damned expensive and a shit ton of work. A bookface for business is free and easy so I can understand why a small business would go this route. His prices would likely be even higher if he had to support the costs of a website.

This. And you can see active or recent posts. Sometimes websites are dead, or haven’t been updated for years, and you just don’t know it.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5309 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Fuck'em.

I like this guy Big Grin

I loathe Fakebook. Damn thing could blow up tomorrow and I wouldn’t give a single fuck.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12622 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PeterGV
posted Hide Post
As far as I’m concerned FB is pure shit, and I wouldn’t be a member.

However, I understand that the reason many small businesses have a FB presence but *not* a web site... or a web site that’s just a placeholder... is because they can create their FB page and update it themselves, for free. It’s super easy for them to get on and post “Big Sale on 9mm by the case, this Saturday only!”

Not everyone understands HTML or knows how to create or update a Wordpress site... regardless of how easy it is these days.

Posts: 1318 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: April 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
As soon as I discover that Facefuck is their only business presence, I'm gone, never to return.

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jager:
As soon as I discover that Facefuck is their only business presence, I'm gone, never to return.

+1. To me, a business like this is the same level as a business that only sells stuff made in China. I’d rather go without than patronize.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12714 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
If they only want to be on Facebook, fine. That's their loss. It's the ones that ignore their website because of it that drives me crazy.

WHY HAVE AN EMAIL CONTACT ON YOUR WEBSITE IF YOU NEVER FUCKING ANSWER THE EMAILS!?!?

I'm waiting on two companies right now for two simple answers. It'll be a $275 purchase from the one and $225 from the other... if they'd just answer my simple question.

Yes, I could call them, but I shouldnt have to. I want to give you money, why won't you let me

Posts: 21101 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
quote:
Fuck'em.

I like this guy Big Grin

I loathe Fakebook. Damn thing could blow up tomorrow and I wouldn’t give a single fuck.

Right on!

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post