SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Clocks without backup batteries
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Clocks without backup batteries Login/Join 
Picture of cparktd
posted
Because of the daylight savings thread...

The clock on our new double oven range has to be reset a couple times a month seems like. Out here our power has short interruptions pretty often. I know, first world problems... but really Frigidaire? You couldn't add a 25 cent capacitor or backup battery to a $1500 stove?

For that matter it should be like my atomic clock and set itself and compensate for DST as well.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Are you losing power to your whole house or just your double oven?

The reason I ask is that I was losing power to my refrigerator a couple times a month, and bought a special surge protector made for appliances and it fixed the problem.

Actually, I did more than that. I also installed a whole house surge protector on the electrical panel. The two level (one on electrical distribution panel and another at end devices) surge protection idea came from an article Skins posted last year.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Yea whole house loses power.

I did the Skins recommended whole house protector also, and a point of use one on the TV and related equip.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
Yea whole house loses power.

I did the Skins recommended whole house protector also, and a point of use one on the TV and related equip.

The whole house should not have interruptions like that. Have you talked with any neighbors to find out if it happens at their houses too? Have you ever noticed it near by your house, then came home to blinking clocks? I am asking these questions to find out if possibly your local transformer may have a bad connection on it, or if it's actually a distribution issue. This needs to be checked out by power company. Call them and request them to look at the transformers and see if they have any explanations for the interruptions.

Power disruptions can cause the worst surges. I lost a ceiling fan this past week in the wind storms and likely my fridge, it started working one hour after power was restored, been on so far, but probably going to die very soon. I have a high quality surge protector installed, very well grounded electrical service, and I have remade every electrical connection in the house almost, so I know my end was done right.

It is hell on electronics when they turn on/off power. If I had followed my own recommendation for people I would have not lost anything. During storm outages turn off all circuits in the house and turn on only one with lights on it, no electronics. Wait until you see those lights turn on then flip on remaining breakers one at a time. It's a pain in the ass but it can save electronics, especially if you don't have a surge protector installed. Also can do it in advance of power outages. Leave fridge and one lighting circuit on, turn rest off. I'd only suggest this if you have known really severe weather coming that will likely result in loss of power.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:

This needs to be checked out by power company. Call them and request them to look at the transformers and see if they have any explanations for the interruptions.

I think it is associated mostly with bad weather... but need to pay better attention. I'm going to start tracking and logging the inturuptions and associated weather conditions for a while and consult with the neighbors before contacting the power company.

Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I have never seen an oven keep time after a power outage. Is this a thing?

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Did you come from behind
that rock, or from under it?

Picture of Audioholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:

I think it is associated mostly with bad weather... but need to pay better attention. I'm going to start tracking and logging the inturuptions and associated weather conditions for a while and consult with the neighbors before contacting the power company.

If you have a UPS (battery backup) like APC or CyberPower on any of your computers they provide software that works with it. This software will log brownout and blackout events so you don't have to do it manually. The software is usually free from the UPS manufacturer's web site.

"Every time you think you weaken the nation" Moe Howard

Posts: 2048 | Location: Out standing in my field. | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Like I said, first world problems Smile

It just seems like it would be a simple and cheap fix... It's the only thing in the house requiring re-programming or setting after an outage.

Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Audioholic:
If you have a UPS (battery backup) like APC or CyberPower on any of your computers they provide software that works with it. This software will log brownout and blackout events so you don't have to do it manually. The software is usually free from the UPS manufacturer's web site.

I do have one, it's years old and unused at my Daughter house, but I'll check, the battery may be shot.