SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Embarrassing selling mistakes I will never make again.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Embarrassing selling mistakes I will never make again. Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted
Member emailed me earlier this year asking if I had any P228 for sale.

Emailed him back with pics of a "near mint" 2-tone one and the selling price. Back and forth and we finally agreed on the final price. He paid instantly. I O/N shipped gun the next day.

Man received gun and emailed me back with issue on the gun. His pics showed some yellow discoloration on top of the slide. Not near mint as I claimed.

So, what were my mistakes?

1- The gun, although bought used, has never been fired by me. It's always been in the safe. So, being lazy, I didn't take any new pics. I just sent him the pics that I took a few years ago, when I first received the gun. These old pics didn't show any problems.

2- Being in a rush, I didn't even look the gun over carefully before packing it in to ship. I just aSSumed it looked as good as when I first got it. Otherwise, I would have caught the problem.

What's so embarrassing to me is that these are the steps I always follow when selling stuff. I just didn't do them this one time. Roll Eyes
So, lesson re-learned. Take new pics and always look the stuff over carefully, when selling.

Q

Posts: 26371 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
What is/was the discoloration?? Is it removable?

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
What?!?!?! You aren't perfect!!??? Welcome to the human race club, we have jackets.

For what its worth, the two P228s you sent me were/are super lovely, better than advertised, and fill in that aching hole in my heart!

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1953 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Q, I'd rather have a pistol with minor cosmetic defects, but I'm more of a shooter than a collector, and would enjoy shooting such a pistol without being overly concerned about putting the first mark on it! For the record, I couldn't be happier with either of the two pistols I bought from you, and am certain you made it right with the buyer.

Posts: 154 | Registered: December 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
i'll give ya tree-fiddy fer it. Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
That stinks, maybe he will take a discount instead of shipping it back?

As erg asked, any idea what caused it?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20816 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Loswsmith:
What?!?!?! You aren't perfect!!??? Welcome to the human race club, we have jackets.

For what its worth, the two P228s you sent me were/are super lovely, better than advertised, and fill in that aching hole in my heart!

The one I got from you is great too. Haven’t shot it yet, but it sure is pretty to look at sometimes.

Posts: 1304 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
My selling checklist is similar, although I don't usually retake pics just before the sale. Unless the gun is Like New in Box and unfired (factory fired only), for any used gun I clean, remove all lube, and then take pics dry as I've found the lube sometimes either obscures some places or reflects light causing a shine that can block some detail, and I want both the seller and the buyer to be able to clearly inspect the gun. I always suggest to a buyer that they inspect and then lube any used gun they buy from me, before planning a range trip.

But, like you, I always inspect a gun and verify its condition as well as taking a quick inventory to make sure that everything the deal includes is boxed up, just before it goes out the door. Often, I'll snap a quick pic or two before closing the lid for the final time, until it reaches the FFL.

Q, your eye and attention to detail are well known on the forum, as is your integrity.

We can all stand a reminder from time to time so I very much appreciate you posting one for us all to learn from...but, in all honesty, if you had a gun you were selling that both interested me and was something I could afford, I'd buy it from you sight unseen without pics, based on nothing more than on your description...and I would do so in %100 complete confidence.

Worry not, your reputation is solid.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post