SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Crappy retail service must be the "new" normal.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Crappy retail service must be the "new" normal. Login/Join 
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted
I've noticed since places have opened back up that the service EVERYWHERE has been shitty. I'm not sure if it is because people that normally work are staying home because they can make $800 a week sitting on their behinds, or what the deal is.

I went out to supper with friends at Texas Roadhouse over the weekend. We had a reservation at 6:00. At 6:30, I asked why we hadn't been seated yet. I was told that the "reservation" meant that we just went somewhere closer to the head of the list. We were seated at about 7:15. Our food arrived at about 8:30. Half the orders were wrong and it was all cold. The manager came over and told us he was "doing the best he could". When I pointed out that they were only operating at 33 percent capacity, he stared at me blankly. There were THIRTEEN employees in the seating process that I could see.

Today, I went to TJ Max to pick up socks. It took 40 minutes to check out. One girl running a register. Three at the front door monitoring the number of people coming in and out. Two wiping down carts and surfaces at the front door. Four wrangling shoppers into a COVID approved line of social distancing. And two pit bosses supervising operations. NINE employees all in all doing nothing all the while looking busy to protect the shoppers......... I brought it up that they wouldn't need as many people cattle calling people into lines if they would go up and actually check people out instead. I got a smart assed answer from under a mask.

Oh, and no one but employees and people around 20 years old were wearing masks. No one else.

I went to a Shell Station that has pretty good chicken. Usually, there are a couple of people that work the food counter. A young lady was working one of the registers. She was wearing gloves and a mask. I asked for two chicken strips. She went over, reached in the container, and got out two chicken strips. Using the same gloves she was handling money with and running the register. I asked her to put on clean gloves or to use tongs and she got pissed. I left without chicken.

What the hell people?

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I went to a Harley dealership this weekend just to look at the pretty bikes and kick some tires.

No face masks worn by anyone.
Handshake and friendly service as soon as I walked through the door.
No stupid distancing.
Sit on and fiddle with any bike on the floor.

It was glorious to feel humanity once again.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yup, noticed same here...

Yesterday, went into Lowes to get a new bulb for microwave and could not find the correct bulb. I asked the guy working that section and he clearly gave zero fucks about helping me. He just grabbed a random bulb and more or less tossed it ta me and walked away. I then went to appliances and the genius there found me the wrong buld but told me to use it anyway?

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Part of the problem is,
There are not enough people that will take the time to talk to the store managers about the myriad of employee problems,

They can not fix it if they don,t know that it's broken.

Don't E-mail them, or write a letter, and don't call'em.

Stand there , take the time and see them in person.

Yours may be the 3rd complaint in three days, the final straw that
Makes a difference.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54603 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
We were told yesterday by the father of a Texas Roadhouse employee that his son makes $30/hr to take orders. But he's so pissed at management with the extra crud requirements that he's giving notice.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kuisis
posted Hide Post
The most shocking thing is that a Shell station has good chicken. Who knew?

Posts: 1129 | Location: Washington PA | Registered: November 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kuisis:

I know you guys don’t have them that far left, but Royal Farms has some of the best fried chicken in the country. It’s a Baltimore institution.

Can’t find good chicken at our Shell stations, though, which is a shame, since RoFo doesn’t have top tier gas. That would be too convenient.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes. And their fish is pretty awesome too.

I think their chicken is the best in town.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is only one gas station here that has chicken, it is named Dodges. I think gasoline sales are an incidental item for them.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones: We had a reservation at 6:00. At 6:30, I asked why we hadn't been seated yet. I was told that the "reservation" meant that we just went somewhere closer to the head of the list. We were seated at about 7:15. Our food arrived at about 8:30.

Sorry, by 8:00 I would have walked out .....loudly, that is totally unacceptable

Did the manager at least comp your meals?

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Yes. And their fish is pretty awesome too.

I think their chicken is the best in town.

Ya but how's their sushi?

Posts: 4127 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steve495
posted Hide Post
My experience with TrailerParts.com out of New Jersey.

Place order on May 23 for parts I need that I can literally find nowhere else. Website clearly stated then - and still states - "Due to COVID19 shipping will be delayed 2-3 days." I'm fine with that and understand they will not even see my order until Tuesday, May 26.

May 29 - I email them (they are not answering phones due to COVID - hey, any status on my order?

June 1 they reply: "They are currently packing orders of May 15-16 this week." Huh? So much for 2 to 3 days.

I ask via email again, when will you ship MY order? (Note they charged my card on May 23.)

They reply - "We strongly recommend Expedited shipping during this time if you are unable to wait for you order to come. We are unfortunately unable to give an ETA for any non expedited orders currently."

WTF? So you're going to extort me for more money and refuse to tell me if or when they will ever ship?

They offered to cancel my order and I could order again "expedited."

Fine, I ask them what I should choose to ensure they should ship today or tomorrow?

Their answer? "We understand cancelling your order due to the very slow production time. We do apologize again for the inconvenience the pandemic effects everyone differently and being new jersey does not help things.

We will be canceling your order sometime today, please keep an eye out on your bank account it may take a couple business days to go back into the account. You will also be emailed a credit memo and cancellation date as well once the order is refunded. Thank you for your understanding during this very difficult time."

So they just cancel the order. WTF?

Steve

Small Business Website Design & Maintenance - https://spidercreations.net | OpSpec Training - https://opspectraining.com | Grayguns - https://grayguns.com

Evil exists. You can not negotiate with, bribe or placate evil. You're not going to be able to have it sit down with Dr. Phil for an anger management session either.

Posts: 4989 | Location: Windsor Locks, Conn. | Registered: July 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
jones,

I've noticed it too. From reading your other posts you're not a mask wearer the same as me.

I feel like alot of the shitty attitudes I've been getting out and about is because I don't wear a mask in stores. In fact, I refuse to patronize the Dollar Store I normally go to 5-7 times per month because of their requirement to wear a mask.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
"new normal" is about to go into trigger word territory of you guys keep saying that shit. There is no such thing. Stop letting the PC Culture Police drag you around by the hair.

Posts: 107502 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear of all this crumby service. It sounds like the smart/helpful former employees are staying home and taking the free money instead.

Hasn't been like that for me. Around here it is mostly a matter of new lines on the floors and plastic screens in front of some registers. Walmart has only half the doors open, but shopping there isn't all that different and their staff seems to be well mannered.

Still can't wrap my head around why no one seems to be trying harder to please the fewer customers they are getting. You'd think a wait in excess of 15 minutes would grant you a free blowjob these days.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can join the club today. I called Ford dealer to bring my vehicle in for warranty work last Wednesday and made the appointment today. I use my Expedition for work and have all of my equipment and parts in the back. So they made the appointment for today.

I pull up, lady goes through imputing info in tablet. I ask how many days it will be, she replies 3-4 days, we are backed up and don't have any techs that can even look at it for a day or two. (thinking then WHY did you make the appointment for today). Ok, does it come with a loaner vehicle. I'll ask, "we don't have any but we can get you a rental from Enterprise, I'll call them.....she calls, they'll be here in 3-5 minutes"

So I wait 15 mins, go ask her to call them, she calls them again and they say 5 minutes. I wait 10 minutes.......mind you the enterprise dealership is 400 yards away......so I just walk there......they're understaffed and helping a few customers on line and would have never sent someone to come.....so I tell the lady at Enterprise I'm from the dealership......a lady that was sitting on the bench near the street at the ford dealer since the time I first drove in with my vehicle walks up to Enterprise 10 minutes later and tells them/me she has been waiting at Ford 40 minutes for them to pick her up.......WTF......

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I travel I usually stay at hotels with a kitchen so I can cook my own meals.

On the drive up to Bismarck from NC, I ate out one time and the service was horrific.

On a recommendation from Officers that work the Bismarck area, I went out and tried a restaurant in the downtown area. The service was horrific not just for me but for the other six patrons.

Now all my dealings with the retail side has been great.

Earlier last week a took a quick trip to see my parents in Florida before "relocating" to Bismarck. I went out to eat with my dad at our favorite diner. The food was great and so was the service so i am thinking it is hit or miss.

In a little while I am going to walk across the parking lot to a Pizza, sub and pub so i hope the service is good.

Whoohoo, I am living the life: Eating out twice in a week. That is a rarity for me

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Oh hell no, I would've left by 7:45 if my food had not gotten to the table.

quote:

There's a BP by my job that has really good fried chicken inside. It's called Krispy's and I'm pretty sure it's an independent. Biscuits are a little dry but the chicken is pretty good.

Posts: 13096 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
It must be the oil they use...

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kuisis
posted Hide Post
The Shell station close to me is in a pretty bad area and they have some pepperoni rolls and things, but nothing like good fish or chicken. We have getgo's and Sheetz that fill that void though.

Posts: 1129 | Location: Washington PA | Registered: November 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post