SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Want body damage? Buy a new car
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Want body damage? Buy a new car Login/Join 
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted
Just noticed a long dent in lower body panel. Someone obviously sideswiped us while parked somewhere. Paint not broken but danage won't exceed deductible so that's money out of pocket.

I think from now on we'll just use the car for road trips and use the old one for trips to the mall. But then some one driving ahead of us will no doubt toss up a stone and crack the windshield.

Screw it. Maybe it's my imagination but these things didn't seem to happen years ago. Now it's almost a certainty.

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1487 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
I only made it about 4K miles on my new car before some object went flying by the front of my car on the interstate, bounced off something to my right and kicked back into the back door panel, putting a huge ding and several down to the metal marks... grrr.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2263 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got one scratch on my little red grand prix, in 12 years.

I've had three scratchs put on my Buick LeSaber
in three months

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54502 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I typically park next to the cart corral because that's the last place carts seem to end up... Roll Eyes

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
New cars are magnetic; everyone knows that.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Wifes new lincoln, someone dented albeit small one on the rear liftgate, not even two months old, Daughters new SUV, same thing, not even made first payment and some asswipe backed into it and scraped up the bumper, not one left a note.

Asswipes, if I could find them then might consider giving them a love tap from my 15 year old eff juan fiddy

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
Also newly repainted cars are magnets!!! Had the wife's 2009 Altima coup repainted and within a month had new door dings and grocery buggy marks in three places. I think she just passed 30k on it.

Posts: 4403 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
My first and only new car was a 2000 Dodge Durango I purchased in Sept 2000. I had it for just under 2 weeks, 600 miles, and someone was turning around in a driveway across the street from where it was parked and caved in my drivers door. Of course they hit it and ran.

I totaled it in Nov 15 on an icy road with 196,000 miles on it. Still haven't replaced it.

Posts: 5734 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
Bought a new SUV in July and it's been in the shop twice already. First time a car in front of us hit a hubcap lying in the road which then took off like a frisbee and took out part of the grill. Then 3 weeks ago a hailstorm did $3100 damage to it. I'm beginning to think it's jinxed.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1857 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My thus far dent free '15 VW Golf TDI goes back to VW next month for the "Buy Back" program. Next car will be an older Buick beater.

No car payments and no worries about "parking lot rash".

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try one of those paintless dent removal guys. They're sometimes pretty cheap.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Used to think when I bought a new truck, I should take hammer with me when I picked it up.

Smack it just to get the first dent out of the way.

Posts: 7011 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
It doesn't help that many of the new parking lots are designed with smaller stall widths. It's a recipe for dings.

Supposedly there is/was a code for this in most towns/cities that limited the parking space width to no less than six feet wide. Right.

I have a diesel truck and sometimes in private parking lots (doc offices, offices, etc) my truck won't even FIT in the tiny marked parking space...

In the same vein I have also noticed traveling up and down the East Coast that some fast-food places/malls in cities have curved entrances so tractor-trailer trucks and people towing can't enter.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
My current car, only new car I've ever purchased a limb from neighbor's tree fell on it in first month of owning it.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20757 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
You guys are scaring me. I'm about ready to sell the last car I bought, a 22 year old Jimmy, in favor of a newer vehicle. Looking at a couple of used Ford Edges, both of which have flawless paint.

I guess I'll have to park way, way, out there at the unpopulated end of the parking lot, except when I have something unwieldy to carry, in which case I'll use the disabled parking slot (much wider).

Yes, I do have a permit for the "special" parking but unless my hip is really acting up, or I have bulky / heavy things to carry, I prefer to try to get a little walking exercise.

Looks like I'll be getting more walking with the replacement vehicle. Not a bad thing, I need to walk more, busy life, hard to find the time to just go for a walk but if I can integrate it into other activities that will help.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
I typically park next to the cart corral because that's the last place carts seem to end up... Roll Eyes

This is exactly what I do. It works, car is five years old and I still don't have a door ding. The secret to this technique is parking uphill from the cart return.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20757 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
That's why I like leasing. Someone hits my car and I could care less. My last car got rearended pulling out of the dealership. It has 14 miles in the odometer

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:

This is exactly what I do. It works, car is five years old and I still don't have a door ding. The secret to this technique is parking uphill from the cart return.

maybe yes, maybe no. My friend parked next to the cart coral and some ass-clown felt the need to push a cart all the way down that side of her car. quarter panel, rear door, front door and front quarter panel. And then not actually put the cart IN the coral.

"The days are stacked against what we think we are." Jim Harrison

Posts: 1116 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recently bought a 1998 Mustang. It was in an accident just before I bought it, so it had its front bumper and passenger side fender replaced. (Kamikaze deer).

Other than that, it's all original exterior-wise. The paint is IMMACULATE. It's amazing.

I've had cars ranging in years from 2001-2013 during my adult life. NONE of them have held up like this thing has. And according to carfax, it was a rental in it's early years!

The newer my cars were though, the more random cosmetic damage they seemed to accumulate...

----------
The first 100 people to make it out alive...get to live.

Posts: 1277 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We lucked out and got 20k on our explorer before somebody hit me and took off. Got it fixed and it looks like new inside and out.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post