SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Panera Bread, what a joke
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Panera Bread, what a joke Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted
Yes, I know Panera is anti-2A and caters to the "woke" crowd, just like Starbucks. But, I got a 10 dollar gift card from coworkers recently, otherwise, I would never have set foot in there. Thought that 10 bucks was good enough for a sandwich with some changes left? Surprise! $11.25 for a freaking sandwich! Yes, just a sandwich, not a meal. And, how did it taste? I could go to a 7-Eleven and get a bigger sandwich that tastes the same for half the price. Overpriced shit just like Starbucks.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Yes, I know Panera is anti-2A and caters to the "woke" crowd, just like Starbucks. But, I got a 10 dollar gift card from coworkers recently, otherwise, I would never have set foot in there. Thought that 10 bucks was good enough for a sandwich with some changes left? Surprise! $11.25 for a freaking sandwich! Yes, just a sandwich, not a meal. And, how did it taste? I could go to a 7-Eleven and get a bigger sandwich that tastes the same for half the price. Overpriced shit just like Starbucks.

If you happen to receive another gift card for one of the 'woke' type establishments in the future, simply donate it to a homeless person or someone along those lines.

I really hate going into any of these places. They make my skin crawl.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fly High, A.J.
Picture of tk13
posted Hide Post
The wife loves Panera, so I occasionally have to eat there against my wishes. The only thing they have that I really like is the cinnamon crunch bagel.

Posts: 1645 | Location: Suffolk, VA | Registered: March 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Undertaker
Picture of BigCity
posted Hide Post
I got an email for certain meals costing $5.00
My wife, mom and I went and we all ordered those meals. We were told that the store was not doing that "yet". Even though the email specifically listed that store as participating.

John

The key to enforcement is to punish the violator, not an inanimate object. The punishment of inanimate objects for the commission of a crime or carelessness is an affront to stupidity.

Posts: 1727 | Location: People's Republik of Maryland | Registered: November 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rover88
posted Hide Post
I used to like several things on the Panera menu. The last time I was there, I had one of their "twofer" deals: the turkey/avocado sandwich and Greek salad. A "too large" slab of turkey breast (should have been sliced), half an avocado (again, not sliced) that should have not been used for being under-ripe looking like it was "thrown" onto a half-sized sandwich. The bread actually seemed stale. The salad had had its dressing applied much earlier in the day (soggy beyond belief). Everything was served straight from the refrigerator.

I also used to like their baked goods. The orange scones and cheese danish were my go-tos. They have since discontinued the cheese danish and reduced the orange scone to about half its original size.

I almost always give a restaurant three chances to disappoint me. Okay, Panera, that's three strikes---you're out!

Posts: 640 | Location: Johnstown, PA | Registered: February 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
I went to Panera in Destin Florida about 15 years ago. Once. It was a rip off then. Nice to see it hasn’t changed.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Their cinnamon crunch bagels are great. That’s all we ever get from there

Posts: 462 | Location: Greenfield, IN | Registered: December 29, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My favorite part of Panera is that after you overpaid for food, you get to bus your own table. Including separating plates from silverware and refuse. I hate that place.

Posts: 7344 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
They are now implementing a $9 per month subscription for for unlimited coffee or tea.

Krispy Cream needs to return Panera Bread back to what made them so successful.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7039 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Off topic but they are not hiring "the brightest and the best" for delivery drivers.

IF they were paying him fifteen dollars an hour they better get a rebate. Or at least get him lessons for driving on ice and snow. It was comical watching him attempt and fail to go up a hill.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
We have one in our town now. I ate there once, it was awful. Gawd awful.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5024 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
The food at Panera ranges from unremarkable to very good, but it's all over-priced in my view. My wife used to like to go there on occasion. Not any more. Too expensive for what you get.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
..it's all over-priced in my view...

Just what I was going to say.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tk13:
The wife loves Panera,

The only thing they have that I really like is the cinnamon crunch bagel.

Try the triple chocolate walnut cookie sometime.

Yes, many of us are married and need to please our wife. Next time you take her to a beer joint, remind her of the time you went to Panera.

The opposite just happened to me. She looks at the parking lot to see where others go. She spied a place called "Longnecks" by where I was taking rehab for my ankle. They had the best ham and cheese on a pretzel bun I've tasted in a long time. We've been back 3 times now, cutting Panera out of the rotation.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Yea, it seems that the local Panera just had a price hike with the sandwiches like you mentioned up to $9.79. A little bit too rich for my tastes also. I do like their broccoli and turkey chili soups though, but they come with a hefty $ tag also.

Sad though as they're one of the only places I've found locally that serve grill cheese with bacon/tomatoes with a drive thru service.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hate the way Panera and Starbucks put large men outside the store to grab unwary people and force them to buy their products. Dirty bastards!

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Yes they have gotten pricey in the past couple years and the serving sizes are smaller too.

I used to go to one near me regularly like 10-12 years ago but haven't set foot in one for a couple years now.

It's happening everywhere now though, prices really have skyrocketed for most dining establishments.

Posts: 33601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I baked for them for two years. The food is expensive, but the markup is about the same or less than other casual restaurants. The cost is in the ingredients. For example, there are no preservatives used in the salads. This is unusual and drives up costs. The bread is baked daily on location, also another expense. The sourdough is actual San Francisco sourdough, the same started that was started in 1848. It's trucked in daily from regional bakeries. If you like deep fried, preservative laden, fat enriched food, it's not for you. Not all Panera's are snooty. We ate in the local one Sunday and it was full of horse farm workers. (We took it to go, as it was somewhat fragrant inside.)

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tk13:
The wife loves Panera, so I occasionally have to eat there against my wishes.

Plus one

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5680 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
I baked for them for two years. The food is expensive, but the markup is about the same or less than other casual restaurants. The cost is in the ingredients. For example, there are no preservatives used in the salads. This is unusual and drives up costs. The bread is baked daily on location, also another expense. The sourdough is actual San Francisco sourdough, the same started that was started in 1848. It's trucked in daily from regional bakeries. If you like deep fried, preservative laden, fat enriched food, it's not for you. Not all Panera's are snooty. We ate in the local one Sunday and it was full of horse farm workers. (We took it to go, as it was somewhat fragrant inside.)

No question imo that I like the menu and food, I still eat from there a few times a month. It doesn't matter all that much which establishment I like is raising costs, it's just outpacing my monthly SSI income and I have to ration a bit. Frown

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post