SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Strange Amazon Experience
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Strange Amazon Experience Login/Join 
Picture of BrianC
posted
I needed a new clock radio. The one I picked had something like 93% approval; the only complaints were that the directions were too complicated (they were).

Once I set it up I couldn't figure out how to turn it off, so I went on line to see if I could find out. I found an Amazon listing for the same radio that was overwhelmingly critical. Checking out the Q and A section from the first listing, someone pointed out that all the "Verified Purchases" were from two days in December. Suspicious! I ended up returning it. I wonder how many verified purchases are fake?

"Television is called a medium because nothing on it is well done." -- Fred Allen

Posts: 11139 | Location: Here. Now. | Registered: August 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Hah! At least you got it delivered. (see my rant)

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Min-Chin-Chu-Ru... Speed with Glare
posted Hide Post
This website analyzes Amazon reviews to provide an asssesment on whether they're bogus or not.

https://www.fakespot.com/

Posts: 1265 | Location: MA | Registered: December 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M'headSig:
This website analyzes Amazon reviews to provide an asssesment on whether they're bogus or not.

Thanks for that.

Countless times I've tried to analyze reviews myself and sometimes reviews seem honest. Others, such as "product was delivered on time", piss me off because it's obviously fake when they don't name the the product. Then you click their name and see that same or similar phrase pasted in most of their reviews.

I shouldn't have to dig through each reviewer's history to find out if a product is worth it.

Posts: 7320 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckWall
posted Hide Post
I recommend "fakespot". It analyzes Amazon reviews looking for patterns of astroturfing and/or fraudulent reviews.

MAGA

Posts: 5689 | Registered: February 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Very enlightening - thanks to you two!

Ran the search on a smart plug I just got, got an F!

Link

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Sometimes a seller will bribe the buyer if the product is shitty. "If I refund your money, will you change the review to a good one?"

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Yeah I had a seller ask me to change my review. I replied that I would not, as they were selling a dish that was advertised as 24 ounces which would't even hold 16.
My review later disappeared. The product description remains the same.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Speaking of clocks that are a pain... I made this video a few years ago about my own experience with a damn chinese clock, if you have a spare 8 minutes:

https://youtu.be/CVN1mx69Yhc

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post