SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    PayUSATax problem UPDATED June 8
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PayUSATax problem UPDATED June 8 Login/Join 
posted
We paid them, they did not pay the IRS, they never told us.

We owed $7K and like last year I paid thru https://payusatax.com/ who added a $139 service charge. I did this April 6 (before vacation), got their receipt AND then a confirmation email, all taken care of.

WRONG!!

Today we got our credit card statement in the mail. It showed the April 6 charge but then on Apr 19 PayUSATax credited us with the entire amount. WTF? We called them to learn there was a problem with my SS number and IRS would not accept the $$, hence the refund to our CC. OK...BUT WHY DIDN’T YOU TELL ME???

We called the IRS, got a very confusing voice mail menu (at 7PM), and gave up. We’ll call our tax guy tomorrow and see what he recommends. We still owe the $$, if there’s an IRS penalty I will be very pissed.

We’ve used the company before, all worked well. But not this year. All they had to do was send me an email, how hard is that??

/rant mode off/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sigmund,

Posts: 15899 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There will be a penalty. You may get them to pay it for you, if they value your future business.

I have learned in forty years of business to NEVER call the IRS. I have a CPA who tells me what to do. What the IRS tells you from one day to the next differs. The penalty and interest will not be huge.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
The penalty and interest will not be huge.
Agreed. My e-file got kicked last year since the wife had her SSN stolen the year before and someone filed a return with it. So we had to send in a paper copy with a check about 4 (?) weeks late. I think it was like $70 or something all said and done.

Made sure we had the special ID Pin this year.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
They can't waive interest but if you explain the details of what happened and provide clear support they will likely waive any penalty.

Go ahead and write the letter now, assemble the support, and wait patiently on the notice. It may be months before it shows up. Trying to preemptively explain that will fry their minds - I'd just wait.

Of course, get the original balance paid ASAP.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I guess I'm missing the point of using a third party. Could you not have enclosed a check with your tax return?

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19588 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
I guess I'm missing the point of using a third party. Could you not have enclosed a check with your tax return?

Was gonna ask the same, but I suspect it's to be able to pay with credit card.

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:

Was gonna ask the same, but I suspect it's to be able to pay with credit card.

Right you are, Mr. Kotter. We get United miles using the card, plus it's paid immediately (well, not in our case...), no lost in the mail, etc.

No word yet from our CPA, I'll update.

Posts: 15899 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I always pay Fed and State with EFT. Simple, free, fast, safe, and payments are confirmed.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8856 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Up your nose with a rubber hose, Mr. Milechaser. Razz

I was also going to speculate that anybody foolish enough to pay that kind of freight purely to get miles was nuts, but didn't want to assume. Most miles programs value, or even cash back, is on the order of 1% in real value. So for a $7,000 payment that's $70 in value that can be purchased for only $139.

posted Hide Post
UPDATE: We talked to our CPA (good advice from ZSMichael) who said mail it in. He said to bring him the expected penalty letter, he'll then write up something for the IRS. I may also write something less polite to PayUSATax, I'll see what he suggests.

This time I'm mailing a check (certified mail), it's going to the IRS office in Cincinnati. I wonder if it'll sit on the desk of one of Lois Lerner's "rogue agents." Smile

Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
I don't get using third parties to pay taxes, for all the reasons mentioned above and then some.

I believe the taxing authorities that do accept credit cards gross up the amount due so the taxpayer eats the credit card fees. That's bad enough. To put yet another party in the food chain? Yikes.

I dislike paying taxes but pay what I owe. No more than that, though.

And, yeah, miles can be bought for about a penny each. Which is exchanging cash - something that can be used anywhere, for anything - for something the use of which is controlled by pinhead airline executives and their ever-changing policies.... So, in my calculus, the value of the mile bought is actually less than the penny.

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I file on-line, but send a check via certified mail, return receipt.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
UPDATE: We talked to our CPA (good advice from ZSMichael) who said mail it in. He said to bring him the expected penalty letter, he'll then write up something for the IRS. I may also write something less polite to PayUSATax, I'll see what he suggests.

This time I'm mailing a check (certified mail), it's going to the IRS office in Cincinnati. I wonder if it'll sit on the desk of one of Lois Lerner's "rogue agents." Smile

Put "MAGA" in the lower left corner of the envelope and see what happens. Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got the dreaded IRS letter, our interest/penalty was $28.20 due by June 25. The three-page letter included a chart showing the math of how they reached that $28 figure.

We are going to pay. Our tax guy offered to write a letter of explanation and the IRS letter shows an “Offer In Compromise” where we can offer to pay less, but we’re not going to waste any more of our - or Lois Lerner’s - time on this.

Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I never pay estimated tax and often don't pay in full when filing on April 15th... decided back in 2016 to see exactly how much that cost me in penalties and interest to not do it the way every CPA in the country says I should...

penalty and interest was: $23.69.......

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post