SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Robocalls
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Robocalls Login/Join 
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted
Been getting a bunch of robocalls lately.
We can normally ignore numbers that we don't know but these calls hit the answering machine with their sales spiel.

I can understand Doctors offices and such sending a confirmation of appointment message and such but why respond to a company that doesn't have a live representative attempt contact.
Cheap is as cheap does.

Question:
Have you ever bought anything as a result of a robo-call?

Choices:
Yes
No

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
In fact: Spamming me, be it via email, telephone or snail mail, is a nearly certain way to ensure I'll never buy your product.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most phone companies have tools for blocking robocalls now. I'm with Spectrum, it's free there.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
In fact: Spamming me, be it via email, telephone or snail mail, is a nearly certain way to ensure I'll never buy your product.

I wholeheartedly agree!!

Posts: 214 | Registered: December 29, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Centurylink advertises a 'no solicitation' feature, but it's not actually available. In fact, they offer nothing to help with robocalls.
They seem to be doing their best to get everyone to drop their service.

Posts: 2358 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hate robocalls even more than telemarketers. who buys anything from robocalls or telemarketers? I assume they used to be somewhat useful but with the ease of the internet and evething literally at your fingertips I question how effective they are anymore...

Posts: 1300 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Has anyone started getting the new "ringless voicemail"? This is supposed to be the new weapon in the assholes' arsenal. Your phone does not ring at all, but it takes the caller straight to your voicemail box. Of course it is used with the robocalling technology, so the voice mails are all recorded ads or scams.

Best I can tell about the technology is that it works with your carrier's voice mail technology somehow. So presumably, if you had your voice mail forwarded for Google Voice to answer it, this would defeat the thing.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Has anyone started getting the new "ringless voicemail"? This is supposed to be the new weapon in the assholes' arsenal. Your phone does not ring at all, but it takes the caller straight to your voicemail box. Of course it is used with the robocalling technology, so the voice mails are all recorded ads or scams.

I get one regularly. Some guy calling me about my business line of credit they have approved. It doesn't sound prerecorded, but it does seem scripted.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15696 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Now that I've moved to MS, I get regular robocalls on work line with a preacher preaching up a storm. I mean getting AFTER it!

Given the poll results above and likely in the rest of the free world, I'm not sure that's the best means of fulfilling their ministry.....

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12351 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIG 229R
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

100% in agreement with this!

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dead_Eye
posted Hide Post
If there's one thing the government could do to help EVERYONE it would be to work with the telecom companies and end this nonsense.

How hard can it really be to identify a number (especially one from overseas) that calls random people 10,000 times a day and most people would hang up immediately. I'm sure Google could write an algorithm and cut 95% of the crap just like they did with their email spam filtering.

Beware the man who has one gun because he probably knows how to use it.

Posts: 368 | Location: Somplace with cold drinks and warm women | Registered: May 04, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post