SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Sales ads that claim "RARE"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sales ads that claim "RARE" Login/Join 
Misanthropic Philanthrope
Picture of MWC
posted
No it's not RARE [with or without exclamation points]; it's just something no longer in production, because no one wants it. Claiming it's RARE isn't a selling point, nor does it justify the ridiculous price. It's still just something that's no longer in production, because no one wants it. Get it? Roll Eyes

There, got that off my chest. Big Grin

Posts: 6772 | Registered: June 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MWC:
No it's not RARE [with or without exclamation points]; it's just something no longer in production, because no one wants it. Claiming it's RARE isn't a selling point, nor does it justify the ridiculous price. It's still just something that's no longer in production, because no one wants it. Get it? Roll Eyes

There, got that off my chest. Big Grin

Also "Hard to Find" and "Custom". Seems most think a rattle can paintjob makes their items custom. But you'd be surprised how many people just go with it on auction sites.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6254 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
But I like the exclamation points! (!!!)

That and when the BATF says 'We do not recognize this firearm chambered in the specified caliber' as it is being sent through Customs...

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
MINTY is my favorite. it tastes like mint?

Generally as soon as I see RARE I move on.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Misanthropic Philanthrope
Picture of MWC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
But I like the exclamation points! (!!!)

Yes, because the more exclamation points used the more exclamatory it is. Big Grin

Posts: 6772 | Registered: June 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
its rarely a problem for me....

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about the word salad descriptions to get more traffic? I searched for mags for my brace of FNs, got ads for hi points that said "not ruger s&w, colt, fn, springfield..."

Posts: 367 | Location: Southwest Missouri  | Registered: April 08, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Limited" and "Limited Production"

-MG

Posts: 1931 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I see a For Sale listing with Rare in the title I know they've jacked the price up and don't bother looking.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
If I see a For Sale listing with Rare in the title I know they've jacked the price up and don't bother looking.

Yep.

If buyers need to be reminded something's 'rare' and further require exclamation points to drive the point home, it isn't.

Else, Sotheby's art-auction listings would be: "For sale, the rare Mona Lisa!!! Limited Production!!!!" Wink

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Those used to crack me up on Armslist.

Some dude would post a fairly run of the mill gun and claim it as RARE!!!! with a huge increase in asking price. (Like basic hex receiver Mosin Nagants, or RTF Glocks, or whatever.)

Ad would be taken down after enough users flagged it as overpriced.

Ad would reappear for the "RARE!!!!" gun, with added text in the description to STOP FLAGGING AS OVERPRICED DO YOUR RESEARCH.

Ad would be flagged as overpriced and taken down again.

Rinse and repeat, with the enraged seller growing increasingly frustrated with each new repost and adding additional text about YA'LL DONT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT GUN VALUE, I'M DONE WITH THIS SITE, I'M SMARTER THAN YOU, etc.etc.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Some dude would post a fairly run of the mill gun and claim it as RARE!!!! with a huge increase in asking price. (Like basic hex receiver Mosin Nagants, or RTF Glocks, or whatever.)

Exactly.

No, your Gun that looks like it has been used asa tomato stake for the past 80 years is not rare. What would be rare is if it had been cared for all that time.

I would see this daily with Parker shotguns. A sampling;

"This gun is from 1874, it's a Parker, It's worth six figures"!

"No, that's the patent date, it's rusted worse than the Titanic, and someone put a few wood screws in the cracked stock. Please take this home and burn it".

"But, but, but, it's a Parker! Internet says (Insert value for .410 here)"!

"Listen buddy, nobody wants your Damascus barrel hammer gun. GTFO".

I have had that exact or similar conversation at least 30 times in my life.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Plugugly:
How about the word salad descriptions to get more traffic? I searched for mags for my brace of FNs, got ads for hi points that said "not ruger s&w, colt, fn, springfield..."

Indeed, that is way annoying! Mad

Posts: 3128 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
What are you telling me about those hard to find, limited mint, Morgan dollars I didn't buy from the guy on that commercial???

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Those used to crack me up on Armslist.

Ad would be taken down after enough users flagged it as overpriced.

Ad would reappear for the "RARE!!!!" gun, with added text in the description to STOP FLAGGING AS OVERPRICED DO YOUR RESEARCH.

Ad would be flagged as overpriced and taken down again.

Rinse and repeat, with the enraged seller growing increasingly frustrated with each new repost and adding additional text about YA'LL DONT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT GUN VALUE, I'M DONE WITH THIS SITE, I'M SMARTER THAN YOU, etc.etc.

Why would Armslist care or police "overpricing?" If it is overpriced, it won't sell. If the seller is serious, the price will come down, no matter how many times the word "rare" appears in the description. The market corrects these errors with its own very harsh logic.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I only sell rare guns. Why it's the only one with that serial number!

I like when I see guns listed for sale (usually too high) and they don't know what caliber it is! "I don't what it is, but I know it's worth $600!"

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by monoblok:
"Limited" and "Limited Production"

Rare and limited or limited production could be a valid description. There’s quite a few firearms that are 1 of 500 or 1 of 1000. I would consider that rare or limited production.

That being said your glock isn’t rare, your smith and Wesson M&p isn’t rare. I do agree many people use these descriptors on the wrong stuff and it’s silly

Posts: 1299 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Rare != valuable in some cases.

Posts: 5734 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a medium guy.

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post