SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Chainsaw won't start (Guess I smoked the clutch)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chainsaw won't start (Guess I smoked the clutch) Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
Got a Little Stihl MS180 that my grandpa had sitting around. No fuel in it but sitting for years.
New carb, spark plug, fuel line and filter, fresh fuel mix (ethanol free), and oil.
Thing just does not want to start.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Black92LX,

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25410 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
Try a new spark plug? Make sure the on/off choke switch is in the run position? I have a 170 that has been awesome but it gets used at least twice a month all year.

Posts: 2912 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Spray a bit of ether in the carb.
Hope that gits her goin.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
Check the air filter to make sure it isn't stopped up. Also, the choke may be stuck either open or closed, so you may need to poke around in there a bit to see what's happening. Last thing to check (recheck) would be the new carb. If it's aftermarket, it may not be set up correctly, especially if it's a Chinese knockoff.

What symptoms is it giving you? Normally pretty easy to diagnose these things. Only problems are: Fuel, Air, or Fire. Check YouTube for diagnosis videos, plenty out there.

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
Is there a way to pull the plug and see if it is sparking ?

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have two Stihl saws.
The ms 170 I have had always given me problems starting. I did try a new plug, did not work.
Finally took it back to the dealer and told him I was tired of a saw that never wanted to start when I wanted or needed to use it.
When I got it back, it did not cost a lot and now it starts every time I go to use it. Not the first pull or two but it starts.
There is a pattern to start a Stihl. If you have the book, read it, if not go to a Stihl dealer and ask him to show you.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Get a teenage boy and offer him $30 if he'll keep pulling till it starts. Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Start with the basics. Gas, spark & compression. If you have all three it's just getting the right starting sequence with the choke and trigger.
All my Stihl's get the primer bulb pumped first, then full choke for a pull or two until they fire once, then back to middle choke until warm. No throttle at first.

Posts: 9495 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
You may want to check to see if the pickup tube in the gas tank is rotted. It's rubber and could have deteriorated.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1864 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fiasconva:
You may want to check to see if the pickup tube in the gas tank is rotted. It's rubber and could have deteriorated.

Brand new just replaced it today.

It is getting fuel. Just need to figure out if it is getting spark.

————————————————

Spinnin' Chain
Picture of Expat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Just need to figure out if it is getting spark.

Plug wire firmly seated? Plug properly gapped? Did you do all the work just today? Was it running prior?

Posts: 3240 | Location: Oregun | Registered: August 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fusternc
posted Hide Post
I have 3 Stihl products (2 chainsaws and a blower). They definitely have a certain starting drill but if followed per the manual they start great everytime.

Posts: 1373 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
I've dealt with mine and my father's Stihl chainsaws. Finally figured out that they seem to flood very easily on full choke. When you first start to pull it on full choke, listen very carefully for any sound of it catching, even just a brief cough. Then put to half choke or even run. Usually starts on the next pull. If you keep pulling past that cough on full choke, it floods more often than not.

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
If you want to check spark, remove the plug, seat in wire boot, touch on head and pull the start rope. It's easier to see the tspark indoors low light. Should be a fairly strong flash. Check your head bolts too . If you are losing compression it won't run either.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29684 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
My Stihl Farmboss doesn't have a purge bubble, so it starts using the same procedure as your saw. I have found that I shouldn't do more than 2 pulls on full choke, even if I didn't notice the engine catch or "burp." If nothing has happened after the 2nd full choke pull, I flip to half-choke and pull. 2-3 more tugs and she roars. Smile

Don't give up on that 180 - it's a dandy little saw.

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
New carb, spark plug, fuel line and filter, fresh fuel mix (ethanol free), and oil.
Thing just does not want to start.

That's a 2-stroke engine so don't forget that there are other seemingly innocuous engine parts that are key to starting and running. For example, the crankshaft seals. They're critical to the engine vacuum that pulls air through the carb and fuel mix through the engine.

Good luck.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"And it's time that particularly, some of our corporations learned, that when you get in bed with government, you're going to get more than a good night's sleep."
- Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5785 | Location: Pegram, TN | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShneaSIG:
My Stihl Farmboss doesn't have a purge bubble, so it starts using the same procedure as your saw. I have found that I shouldn't do more than 2 pulls on full choke, even if I didn't notice the engine catch or "burp." If nothing has happened after the 2nd full choke pull, I flip to half-choke and pull. 2-3 more tugs and she roars. Smile

Don't give up on that 180 - it's a dandy little saw.

Pretty much this on my Farm Boss. Although it generally indicates its ready to turn over after the second pull on full choke.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9683 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Also check the spark arrestor. When it gets clogged with soot/crap, the engine won't run worth a crap.

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Went and rachecked everything. Shot a little WD40 in the plug hole and a touch in the carb.
Fired right up nicely and idled well. Let it idle of awhile and engaged the chain and it shut off.

Tried that again and happened 2 more times and now it won't start again.

Getting spark and fuel.

————————————————

crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
Make sure you really primed the bulb well.

Posts: 1781 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post