SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Because 2017 hasn't been amusing enough already...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Because 2017 hasn't been amusing enough already... Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted
To recap:

Dad died
Father in law died 5 days after dad's funeral
My job went to shit

Now it seems as if my 74 year old step-dad has the early onset of dementia. I've been reading quite a bit and my mom is meeting with the doc in a bit. (Step dad is in hospital).

Having her ask doc about difference between Alzheimer’s and dementia (which is what they are saying), but the reading I’m doing makes me think that the hallucinations, bathroom issues, etc are more aligned with Alzheimers than dementia. (More general confusion and forgetfulness)

He watched his mom go through this and it really fucked with him, always said that he'd never "go out that way". I had my sister remove his guns from the house until I can get up there are better assess.

Fuck a duck.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12315 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
Hang in there buddy. It's always darkest before the dawn.

------------------------------------
My books on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/William-...id=1383531982&sr=8-1
email if you'd like auto'd copies.

Posts: 17916 | Location: Lawrenceville GA | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NMPinNYC
posted Hide Post
I'm sad for you, Sir. I wish you strength and peace in this year of great sorrow. God bless.

Best regards,
Nick.

NRA Life Member and Certified Instructor

Posts: 710 | Location: Back in northern NJ/NY State Catskills | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My civilian understanding of these two diagnoses is, Dementia is a broad category and includes Alzheimer’s. Root causes are different, symtoms largely the same.

Posts: 1931 | Location: S.E. Michigan/Macomb County | Registered: October 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
Been through that with my MIL. Not an easy time for sure.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I had a year like that in 2013. Mom died, less than two months later a brother died, and three months after that Dad died.

We did get pretty good at the whole funeral thing though, so there was an upside.

Posts: 20066 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Been down the dementia path. It sucks. I am sorry.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2731 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
It doesn't matter what you call it, dementia sucks. I went though it with my dad. The second time the police found him out on the street I had to place him in a home.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
Ronin, so sorry to read this. Hang in there. Things will get better, just keep grinding.

Posts: 12917 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
Went through that multiple times in my family; grandmother (maternal), paternal grandfather & father. It's very difficult. Stay strong, take care of yourself, & good luck.

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
Ronin,

Sorry to hear that. It was difficult to watch my grandmother go down that path for several years. Dementia sucks. Hang in there.

Posts: 1799 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, life is tough in spots, almost to the point that you think it will never end.

Every time I think I have it rough, then I hear about or meet someone who is far worse off.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
Very sorry to hear about this, Ronin.

Wishing the best for you, thoughts and prayers are with you.

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for the words. Currently we are being introduced to Sundowner's Syndrome. Frustrating, but good to have a name for it. He qualifies under ALL of the symptoms below.

When you are with someone who has Alzheimer's disease, you may notice big changes in how they act in the late afternoon or early evening. Doctors call it sundowning, or sundown syndrome.

Fading light seems to be the trigger. The symptoms can get worse as the night goes on and usually get better by morning.

http://www.webmd.com/alzheimer.../manage-sundowning#1

When someone is sundowning, they may be:

Agitated (upset or anxious)
Restless
Irritable
Confused
Disoriented
Demanding
Suspicious
They also may:

Yell
Pace
Hear or see things that aren’t there
Have mood swings

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12315 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry Ronin, no advice for you, but I will say a prayer.

I'm starting to get concerned about my grandfather, he's starting to show early signs, and his younger brother died just over a year ago. I do not want to see him go through it.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20804 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear your news. I've also been down that road.

You're in my prayers.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4221 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
Ronin, I am sorry all these things have happened to you. You will be in my prayers.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear this. Several family members have been through the dementia/Alzheimer's hell and it's not pretty. Got an aunt that's in the early stages now. Luckily she gave up her car and license a couple months ago.

Posts: 13740 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I want you to accept this in the manner it is given.

You are a Marine, and became a Marine for a reason.

There are many people who deal with this stuff, and some are wholly unprepared for it.

You are not in that crowd, and you know what awaits you, because you are a Marine and trained to spot and and assess an enamy before he knows you exist.

That forsight is a blessing and a curse.

But, you are a Marine.

God Bless you.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43859 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My mo went through this for 7 years,
you may still enjoy your time with your step dad.

eventually you will need to address yourself with your name and "your step son"
and more often than not he while give you a big smile.

They hate it when you test them by asking them who this is or where that is,

the constant failure to recall leaves them frustrated and defeated, don't do that.

I came back to the mid west shortly after mom was diagnosed , the upside is that our conversation times increased 7 fold.

she complained more often , but that is easily
tempered. besides , who wouldn't get testy under the same circumstance's
take this opportunity to spend more time with them both. I learned a lot that I did not know before

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54597 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post