SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Bird Scooters
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bird Scooters Login/Join 
posted
They are new to my area...I had seen and read about them in LA and hoped AZ would not need them here but no suck luck as they are now littering every street corner and shopping area near me.

Even worse than the damn scooters being peppered everywhere are the rider who cruise down the streets with no helmets and very little awareness of cars around them.

Compounding the issue is the fact the area I live in is in close proximity to a few retirement communities where residents struggle with the concept of driving on a good day and are used to or expecting to see little electric scooters everywhere.

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
SouthPark just did an episode on this.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34082 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
SouthPark just did an episode on this.

Thank you, I just looked that up on You Tube and it is, as most things on SouthPark, pretty accurate.

Last night I spent some time on Google learning about these are apparently they are not beloved in CA either. One restaurant owner, sick of them cluttering up the sidewalk in front of his place threw a bunch in the dumspter and let the "bird hunters" go dumpster diving to get them

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I think they're cute!

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
hard to get out of your grill, though.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevmo:
They are new to my area...I had seen and read about them in LA and hoped AZ would not need them here but no suck luck as they are now littering every street corner and shopping area near me.

Even worse than the damn scooters being peppered everywhere are the rider who cruise down the streets with no helmets and very little awareness of cars around them.

Compounding the issue is the fact the area I live in is in close proximity to a few retirement communities where residents struggle with the concept of driving on a good day and are used to or expecting to see little electric scooters everywhere.

at least they are on the street where motorized vehicles should be. they are constantly on the sidewalks here and I almost got t-boned while walking coming around the corner of a building the other day.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Imagine the parking lot of a college football game (Aztecs in particular).

Drunk, immortal, frat boys being chased by immortal sorority girls in skimpy shorts racing throughout the parking lot.

On the downside, they're everywhere downtown, including IN the bay next to the rental bikes.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Unless they come with studded tires, don't think I'll have to worry about them in Anchorage.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11749 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Already had someone die here I. Dc on o e of those things. I just dont understand them, what's so wrong with walking and getting exercise?

Posts: 2014 | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
IF it reduces the number of cars on the road, I'm all for it.

Some percentage of people using the Byrd and Lime scooters would have called an Uber or Lyft for a short trip.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Saw these in Austin when visiting this fall. They were being used by arrogant young adults who seemed to have no respect for traffic, stop lights, or other humans at all. I was told people would use them and then just leave them wherever, throw them in the river, in the street, etc when they were done.
I wasn’t impressed from the snapshot I got.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5284 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I see them quite a bit in Oakland and Los Angeles. Apparently I don't wear the proper skinny boy jeans to be allowed to use them.

I guess they're cool for the first-mile, last-mile commuters......but I can't imagine they'll catch on here in the suburbs.

P229

Posts: 3808 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Is nobody stealing them by the dozen and selling them for scrap?

It's exactly what would happen within a day here in Atlanta, unless the Mayor was getting HUGE kickbacks.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34082 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ59:
I see them quite a bit in Oakland and Los Angeles. Apparently I don't wear the proper skinny boy jeans to be allowed to use them.

I guess they're cool for the first-mile, last-mile commuters......but I can't imagine they'll catch on here in the suburbs.

What you end up having are purple who think they're cool but; won't try until/ unless they get a couple glasses of beer or wine in them, cannot control them or go slow, feel as though they're pedestrians and bikes thereby riding on the sidewalks/ against traffic/ blowing through stop signs/lights.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
They’re all over Harrisonburg now.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I had never heard of them, but the Wiki article on them is pretty interesting. The company usual MO is to just move into a city without communicating with city officials. In many cities there is a real pushback on them and a whole list of cities that are just impounding them outright. San Francisco has seen vandalism of them ramping up and there is even a website that focuses on creative ways to vandalize them. One of the biggest issues is that users just drop them anywhere, especially rather than pay a fee to park them. They are a hazard/hindrance to those in wheelchairs and people pushing strollers.

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
They didn't go over so well in Nashville earlier this year...that being said, the only one I've ever encountered here in Cleveland TN was on our greenway (which doesn't allow motorized vehicles or skate boards)...I know Chattanooga tried the bicycle thing awhile back and most (if not all) ended up in the 'hood so it didn't fly...

https://www.tennessean.com/sto...-thursday/681281002/

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
quote:

It's exactly what would happen within a day here in Atlanta, unless the Mayor was getting HUGE kickbacks.

They are all over the Midtown area (Northside and Howel Mill, but also Ponce and North). I have even seen them along 139 from the stadium down to College Park.

The nuisance are the people placing them early in the morning blocking lanes of traffic.

All the users have a grin on their face feom what I have seen.

quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
Snip... One of the biggest issues is that users just drop them anywhere, especially rather than pay a fee to park them. Snip...

Think this:

Not this:

Posts: 3572 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ffips:
quote:

They are all over the Midtown area (Northside and Howel Mill, but also Ponce and North). I have even seen them along 139 from the stadium down to College Park.

The nuisance are the people placing them early in the morning blocking lanes of traffic.

All the users have a grin on their face feom what I have seen.

Up and down Peachtree as well. You’d think walkable neighborhoods would be... walked.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2362 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
They are all over in Nashville. I've seen some gnarly "get-offs" from some of our drunk tourists. Not sure how I feel about them. Then again I'm far from a Millenial

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post